Your Fav BB/FC? (1 Viewer)

TopFuel@Lions

Nitro Member
What was your favorite BB/FC? This pre-dates the change of class to TAFC.

Wild Wilfred
Ken Veney
Lou Gasperelli
Brad Anderson
Chuck Beal
Tom Lemon
Frank Harris
Frank Manzo
Arnie Karp
Fred Hagen

Just a very few to tickle you newbie's brains.lol.

TopFuel@Lions

The Alcoholic BB/FC, Dale Armstrong, with the Donovan engine. Loved seeing Bad Brad Anderson & Chuck Beal face off. You knew that was gonna be a race! Every car mentioned here was tuff, tuff, tuff. I saw a few of these guys , like Ken Veney, at the old Lions injected alky F/C circuit. Most of them went on to BB/FC and some to nitro F/C. Veneys' Red Rocket as example. Oh yeah.......

Cassidy Brothers Grand Am BB/FC, circa 1975

img358.jpg

What was your favorite BB/FC? This pre-dates the change of class to TAFC.

Wild Wilfred
Ken Veney
Lou Gasperelli
Brad Anderson
Chuck Beal
Tom Lemon
Frank Harris
Frank Manzo
Arnie Karp
Fred Hagen

Just a very few to tickle you newbie's brains.lol.

TopFuel@Lions

Brad Anderson : Beautiful cars, great burnouts, record times.

Dale Armstrong driving the Alcoholic. Was a very dominant car. Unfortunately for Dale at that time the NHRA Pro Comp champion was still determined by who won the finals, and not on points. On the AHRA side it was by points, and he dominated so much that he scored more points than any of the pros, and picked up the bonus for most points scored of all the champions.

either of these, closely followed by vern's hamm's beer FC......can not deny dale armstrong's satelite was cool too.

Attachments

• olyroller1.jpg
    olyroller1.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 23
  • olyroller2.jpg
    olyroller2.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 23
The pic was when it was an A/FC, it was converted to a BB/FC around 1974 ish...
Actually, A/FC ran alongside BB/FC in the Pro Comp class initially. Somewhere along the line, the injected nitro FC combo got written out of the rules, I don't think anybody noticed at the time because everyone had gone to blown alky combos. Then, years later, when A/F became a competitive option again in TAD, some racers lobbied to bring back A/FC, but NHRA hasn't let it happen. At least, this is how I remember it...LOL.

The Drummer also ran blown nitro for a little while. The Jay's Potato Chips car had that humongous injector that the team made themselves. Looked strange, but it worked. Still love the alky cars today. Oh, Frank Manzo started out in a blown alky altered in Pro Comp. It was a cool looking car & ran like stink.

Great answers folks. It was so intense on those So-Cal nights, when you had Beal, Anderson,Armstrong, Veney,Gasperelli in the house. Just to make a show then was so tough. Many times there would be 25+ going for a 8-car show and well over 30+ for those 16-car shows. Just to make the show was something. At that point, the California cars had easily the toughest competition. Great class.

TopFuel@Lions

Dale Armstrong was the best BB/FC that I remember, Arnie Karp with Boston Strangler and the extra large scoop caught my attention.
1580179258964.png

James Morgan photo from Draglist

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back