Wonder What Garlits Thinks About This? (1 Viewer)

Lots of chest thumping for not hearing anything about this car. I think those numbers are based on a bunch of theory.

Lots of chest thumping for not hearing anything about this car. I think those numbers are based on a bunch of theory.

Like when Garlits came out with his car and said he was going to be the first to 300, bragging he was so smart. Then KB did it first. Personally I hope this EV does beat a nitro car.

They can claim all they want... they just don’t have the track time under their belts to break parts, spin tires and burn up electrical speed controllers and gain experience to show me that a 5000hp electric will be anywhere near a
11,000hp nitro dragster . I do know it will be boring to watch.... this leading to less people in the stands

Has anybody heard if the car actually ran the numbers shown in the article? Or, are those computer generated theoretical numbers?
"Producing a grad total of 5,346 horsepower, it scoots from zero to 120 mph in 0.8-seconds, 250 mph in 2.9-seconds, and 329 mph in a scant 3.7-seconds."

It would be nice for Big to get his name in the record books again. But, time waits for no man.
Personally, I think it would be pretty neat to watch races between EVs, especially if they turn those big numbers. I wouldn't have to worry about losing the rest of the hearing in my left ear.

I don’t believe it’s run those numbers, if any, yet. At least the info doesn’t suggest that it has.

id like to meet the guy that wants to be in a what looks to be a 25+ year old swindahl chassis going 350+ , on tires rated for 340 with front and rear wings that were designed for 300..to paraphrase what a certain announcer used to say..."it looks good on paper, unfortunately we dont run these cars on paper"

It appears to me this is all theoretical at this point. Theories and the real world often times don't match up.

I am interested in whether this thing is AC power or DC power. I'm nowhere near an expert but I know that Garlits is convinced that DC is the way to go but cars like the E-COPO are AC and both sides swear that their's is the best way to go. Also find it VERY interesting that there is no mention of the batteries, the article says that the technology could work for "High Speed Rail" but that would be powered through the rails. It would seem to me that if you're going to brag about the output you would at least mention your "Fuel Source"

Alan

I am interested in whether this thing is AC power or DC power. I'm nowhere near an expert but I know that Garlits is convinced that DC is the way to go but cars like the E-COPO are AC and both sides swear that their's is the best way to go. Also find it VERY interesting that there is no mention of the batteries, the article says that the technology could work for "High Speed Rail" but that would be powered through the rails. It would seem to me that if you're going to brag about the output you would at least mention your "Fuel Source"

Alan
If I can't hear it I don't need it.

How much does this car weigh with 4 engines? Before the virus started, I would ride the Metro Lite Rail to & from work. That's a 2 car train, holding a lot of people and I've always been amazed at how fast it can take off. The train gets power from overhead lines & is like a mini version of a Japanese bullet train, which can go well over 200 MPH. I think as technology is developed for electric motors & batteries, you could see a set up that would run 300 at the drags. Also be interesting if Garlits would switch to the AC motor.

Their road to 200mph will be paved in broken aluminum and steel, just like it was for Chris K..

I'm a real fan of electric dragsters because it's an exciting time as barriers get broken, and I loved seeing Big Daddy do his thing last July at Palm Beach. I also think they have the capacity to change the sport in terms of its accessibility to a new generation, and potential for inner city drag strips to return because noise is no longer an issue.
Top EV are from my hometown. There has been a lot of PR over the years but as yet they haven't turned a wheel - we reported on them in Drag News as far back as 2014, when they said they would be making runs later in the year - and at which point they said they had been in five years of research and development.
No one wants to see them live up to the hype they are putting before themselves more than me, but there's only so many statements a team can put out about what they are going to do before people start to grow impatient. Unfortunately I feel like it takes the spotlight away from the real achievements being made by those who are already on the track.

Alan
One thing to think about is why cars switched from DC generators to Alternators. The total package is way more durable (last longer with less maintainance) - more efficient and can use electronics to control it. As far as Motors go AC and DC are not the only game in town anymore. It is possible that EC motors may be a more viable alternative. # The latest types of motors to enter the fray are those that help control the energy output and achieve higher energy efficiency. These electronically communicated (EC) motors are making strides in replacing dc and ac motors; especially with the need to achieve energy-efficiency regulations. I don't know if this may be what they are using, but it might be why they are not talking about what they are doing. With electronics you can do a lot of things you can't do mechanically with a lot less heat and be a bunch lighter & Battery technology is a whole other thing.
P.S. with all that power available you could put a 20,000 Watt sound system aboard and make any kind of NOISE you want or use electronics to Blue Tooth it to the track speakers.:cool:

id like to meet the guy that wants to be in a what looks to be a 25+ year old swindahl chassis going 350+ , on tires rated for 340 with front and rear wings that were designed for 300..to paraphrase what a certain announcer used to say..."it looks good on paper, unfortunately we dont run these cars on paper"

Chad, from memory it is a 95/96 Dave Uyehara chassis. Friends of mine used to own the car, which prior to them owning it, it belonged to Graeme Cowin. Andrew Cowin earned his TF licence in it. The new owner has been talking about this project for years now and nothing has transpired, and I highly doubt anything ever will happen.

Chad, from memory it is a 95/96 Dave Uyehara chassis. Friends of mine used to own the car, which prior to them owning it, it belonged to Graeme Cowin. Andrew Cowin earned his TF licence in it. The new owner has been talking about this project for years now and nothing has transpired, and I highly doubt anything ever will happen.

Mike, wow yeah I think you may be right...that era nose cones were pretty recognizable..I almost put a slash next to swindahls name with daveys next to it...Im from norcal and have spent enough time at daveys shop I should know better...good call...also, if thats one of Andrews cars I may have worked on it a time or two...the Cowins are some of my favorite people though I havent seen them in a long time...I was helping them in Topeka in 99 when Scelzi crashed like 3 or 4 times and then went to the semis...andrew john graeme and i were at the first turnout when scelzi went sliding by on fire...we all jumped the wall to go help but once we saw scelzi get out safely and start cussing the car we knew he was ok...all back when racing was actually fun

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back