Wj tells it like it is!!!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

chop

Nitro Member
Here's a WJ quote from Bob Frey's Did You Know article on DRC.

"Another great quote came from Warren Johnson after Greg Stanfield failed to qualify for the race. Warren, who needed to get to the final round to take the tenth and final spot in the "Countdown," said that he would try his best to make the final round. But, he added," Greg and his team have done a better job than we have and they deserve that last spot. We just haven't taken advantage of the opportunities that have been presented to us."

Anybody who calls him a bitter old man needs to remember this.

i found it odd that Greg didn't even show up for his final qualifying attempt. Even though Paul Page said they hurt their good motor and knew they wasn't gonna qualify, i would think you would still want to get your sponsor the precious tv time ????

James,

With their best bullet wounded and a hurricane headed for their Bossier City, LA home, they left to take care of family and posessions,,,,,, can't say as I blame them.
Their are other priorities besides drag racing. I spent the weekend @ Indy with folks from southern Louisina and Houston, all of which were very concerned about the hurricane bearing down on their homes. Some of which did suffer some severe damage from the storm.
My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone affected by the storm(s), including Hanna and Ike.

Unk

In spite of his reputation to some people on this board, I've always been a huge fan of WJ and KJ from the very beginning.

Yeah, sure, he can be surly at times. He's an incredibly competitive engineer. And that's the part that people need to remember, he's an engineer who's earning his living on the NHRA pro stock circuit, one of the closest and most competitive series in pro motorsports. We watch and hang around because we're spectators. He's earning a living doing this, and has done QUITE well over the years thank you.

That silver and black '83 Hurst Olds 15th anniversary edition is still my favorite car of his.

WJprostock.jpg

I mean Jeez, isn't that a great looking car?:)

I wonder where it is now? :confused:

Last edited:
I like the teeny tiny Calais the best. Something about that car all twisted when it launched was pretty cool....

what unk said , felt bad for all them guys. as well as lot of our other friends that we were keeping track of , cummings family , angelle and richy s . rossy larisse. unk ,the cumming's said they were staying as they were ONLY expecting 90mph winds at their house , u dont <>?" with mother nature. and by the way unk are we going together to buy that procharger car , well u buy and i drive haha.

i know we'll just get bertozzi to buy it for us . one side jack daniels other side crown royal.im calling him now

In spite of his reputation to some people on this board, I've always been a huge fan of WJ and KJ from the very beginning.

Yeah, sure, he can be surly at times. He's an incredibly competitive engineer. And that's the part that people need to remember, he's an engineer who's earning his living on the NHRA pro stock circuit, one of the closest and most competitive series in pro motorsports. We watch and hang around because we're spectators. He's earning a living doing this, and has done QUITE well over the years thank you.

That silver and black '83 Hurst Olds 15th anniversary edition is still my favorite car of his.

WJprostock.jpg

Let me tell you Warren is not nearly as much the "cold" person everyone tries to make him out to be,have spent many a time after the races talking with him and Kurt.

I am also a KJ/WJ fan, they are motivated and intense people that have poured their life into this sport. WJ has spent a good chunk of his career being a thorn in the side of the "dominating" PS cars. From Bob Glidden to Darrell Alderman, and now Greg Anderson. He has never really dominated the class like any of those guys, but beat up on them continually occasionally eaking out a championship and tons of runner ups. He has been an innovator (remember the funny sounding 180 degree motor) and that has probably been a reason why he has failed to dominate, he seems to always be in search of the next thing that will get him up on the competition. I have grown up (as many racers here I'm sure) going to the track with my dad, racing with and against him, and have a lot of respect for their ability to keep up the pace they have and not publicly choked each other out in the pits (and I still laugh at the "I still have a job" sign KJ held up many years ago when losing to his dad.

By the way there Unk, I forgot to mention earlier, Stacie (my wife) mentioned she talked to you for a minute at the concession stand at the rear of the pro pits at HPT this year.

i felt wj did dominate the class around the late 90's early 2000's. i recall warren would consistently record jaw dropping runs around that time and while he never went on a run similar to glidden and anderson, all the races were basically his to lose !

I asked WJ about those 2 cars,the 83 & 84 Hurst Olds. He said one of them is currently running in S/G and the other one was converted to a Buick by Buddy Ingersol. Those 2 cars was the reason I became a WJ fan, I'm a huge Oldsmobile nut. I restore old 442's and I am currently restoring a 66 442 Olds Tri Power car for myself. When Olds dropped out and WJ went to Pontiacs,I had become too much of a WJ fan to stop and as Paul Harvey would say,"now you know the rest of the story".

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back