Winning to end season is rookie hagan's goal (1 Viewer)

[coverattach=1]CHRISTIANSBURG, Va. (Nov. 10, 2009) - Matt Hagan is ready to finish off his rookie season in the 2009 NHRA Full Throttle Drag Racing Series by winning his first national event in the Valvoline/shelor.com Dodge Funny Car at this weekend's NHRA Finals in Pomona, Calif.

Hagan, a contender for the 2009 Automobile Club of Southern California Road to the Future Award as an NHRA rookie-of-the-year frontrunner, has enjoyed two runner-up finishes this year along with two No. 1 qualifiers. The winner's circle has eluded him, however, and he aims to add that accomplishment to his resume this weekend.

"I'm looking forward to getting to Pomona for the simple reason that the Valvoline/shelor.com team has set a goal this season and that's to win a national event before my rookie season is over," said Hagan, who did not make the Countdown to 1 playoffs and stands in 12th place. The highest he can finish out the year is in 11th. "You can wish a win all you want to, but if it's going to happen, it's got to be a team effort. The team has to do what it has to do, and I have to do what I'm supposed to do to make sure that happens.

"We've proven that we've had the race car to go out there and win; that victory has just slipped through our fingers, and it's a little bit disappointing.

"On the other hand, we've had a great year coming into this last race. We've had two No. 1 qualifiers and two final rounds. The opportunities for us to reach our goal have been there; we just need to sew it up a little tighter.

"I'm really excited about Pomona. It's a good race track, it will be fast and I hope we have better weather conditions than what we were hit with at the beginning of the year (events were rained out until mid-week). Anything other than that will be a plus."

MATT HAGAN QUICK FACTS:
* No. 12 in 2009 Funny Car point standings, as a Rookie-of-the-Year frontrunner
* Has 13 first-round, seven quarterfinal, one semifinal and two runner-up finishes so far in 2009
* Qualified on pole twice in 2009: in Sonoma, Calif., and Las Vegas
* Entered NHRA Funny Car class four times in 2008, qualifying once at the U.S. Nationals
* 2006 NHRA AMS Pro Mod Challenge Rookie of the Year
* First season with Don Schumacher Racing
* Won class-best three Funny Car events in 2008 IHRA series, ending season third in point standings
* Born Nov. 11, 1982 in Salem, Va., lives in Christiansburg, Va.
* Married to Rachel; one son, Colby (10/27/06), one daughter Penny Louise (9/28/09)
* Quickest elapsed time to 1000 feet so far: 4.030 seconds (Las Vegas 2 2009)
* Fastest speed to 1000 feet so far: 313.88 mph (Las Vegas 2 2009)
* Manages family 500-acre Angus Cattle farm in Virginia

SCHEDULE:
THURSDAY, Nov. 12 – PROFESSIONAL QUALIFYING SESSION at 1:30 p.m.
FRIDAY, Nov. 13 – PROFESSIONAL QUALIFYING SESSION at 1:30 p.m.
SATURDAY, Nov. 14 – PROFESSIONAL QUALIFYING SESSIONS at 11 a.m. and 2:30 p.m.
SUNDAY, Nov. 15 – Pre-race ceremonies begin at 10 a.m. FINAL ELIMINATIONS begin at 11 a.m.

TELEVISION:
Saturday, Nov. 14, ESPN2 and ESPN2 HD will televise two hours of qualifying coverage at 10:30 p.m. (ET).
Sunday, Nov. 15, ESPN2 and ESPN2 HD will air NHRA Race Day, at 11 a.m. (ET).
Sunday, Nov. 15, ESPN2 and ESPN2 HD will televise three hours of final eliminations at 7 p.m. (ET).

SATELLITE (Analog feed):
Friday, Nov. 13, 7 - 7:30 p.m. (ET), AMC 16 / Transponder 14K (11980 MHz, horizontal)
Saturday, Nov. 14, 9:30 – 10 p.m. (ET), AMC 16 / Transponder 14K (11980 MHz, horizontal)
Sunday, Nov. 15, 10:30 - 11 p.m. (ET), AMC 16 / Transponder 14K (11980 MHz, horizontal)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back