Why not so much fuss about..... (1 Viewer)

Bullet

Nitro Member
Bob Vandergriff and his UPS deal?

There was more hype pre announcement, than the actual announcement attracted.

I haven't seen anything on NHRA 2Day or in ND, bar the standard run ofd th mill stuff, I was expecting to hear a lot more, and probably a bit more promo too?

What's the chop?

That's a good question. Seems like quite a feat bringing a company of that stature into drag racing. Runnning pretty good for a new team too.

I think it is awesome that Vandergriff has gotten UPS to get involved with NHRA drag racing. Hopefully they will be around for a long time and have further involvement with the sport. However, I have been a little disappointed in the overall presentation of the team. UPS probably dictates the design of the paint and uniforms and stuff like that, but I think it would be cool if the car and rig were painted the same way UPS trucks are – right down to the black and silver wheels. The crew should be wearing UPS uniforms like their drivers do. The support vehicle that accompanies the car to the starting line could be a golf cart built to look like a mini-UPS truck. I know that BV has forgotten more about marketing than I will ever know and that there are reasons he is doing the deal the way he is. These are just my opinions.

That's great , I saw interest at the Nats with the special flamed paint job's for the UPS truck's that attend the Nat's.
UPS gets a lot of business from racers so why not take advantage and go after the fans ?
A lot of non racing sponsor opportunities out there!

I'd like to race the truck!

Remember how much mielage UPS got out of that tagline. Heck, I think they still use it.

BV will have arrived when UPS does some marketing/adverstising with the rail.

I think the success (for each) will come.

The support vehicle that accompanies the car to the starting line could be a golf cart built to look like a mini-UPS truck.

If I'm not mistaken, this golf cart does exist and has been shown on NHRA2day and on some racing coverage. Someone that has already attended an event this year could probably confirm this.

Some cross advertisements with Dale Jarrett could be made for a couple of funny commercials. Have Jarrett driving the truck, get passed by Vandergriff, and Dale could say " I'd rather drive that". They could could even have the TF & the #88 do some side by side burnout. Of course, that would all hinge on next years plans with UPS & Jarrett with Toyota. It would be neat to see some UPS commercials with Vandergriff.

There have been several UPS ad lines such as:

"We run the tightest ship in the shipping business."

I believe the latest one is:

"What can Brown do for you?"

I can tell you for a fact that UPS "wrote the book" when it comes to Micro Management. I also agree that a little more creativity by the marketing department would go a long way.

UPS golfcart

I'm almost positive they have that golfcart. It seems like I watched it drive past as I was on my way to the stands.Correct me if I'm wrong.

I also agree some cross-promotion should be done. SAme thing should have happened with Larry/Rusty Wallace, and more could be done with B2 and Dale JR.

However, I have been a little disappointed in the overall presentation of the team. UPS probably dictates the design of the paint and uniforms and stuff like that, but I think it would be cool if the car and rig were painted the same way UPS trucks are – right down to the black and silver wheels. The crew should be wearing UPS uniforms like their drivers do.
I actually love the look of the UPS team, I think they have one of, if not the best uniforms & paint scheme around.

I still haven't figured out why a company will sponser 2 teams and ALL the promo go's to the NASCAR one. I get at least 2 catalogs a year from BUD, and it has at least 4 pages of JR'S stuff in it but nothing of Bernstien's:confused: Same way around here (Dallas) for miller. All the billboard ads featuring the no2 car but nothing about dixon, even when he was the champ.:confused: :rolleyes:

I don't really know that much about how they decide the level of promotion to give. But hopefully he can go some rounds soon. I think THAT would spark things up and sort of FORCE more recognition.

I still haven't figured out why a company will sponser 2 teams and ALL the promo go's to the NASCAR one. I get at least 2 catalogs a year from BUD, and it has at least 4 pages of JR'S stuff in it but nothing of Bernstien's:confused:

I noticed the other week that when being interviewed at the top end his Budweiser Racing hat was a Dale Jr. hat, it has DE on the side. Whether it has BB on the otherside I don't know, I doubt it though.

I never received this issue!?!?

Cover10.gif

I'd like to race the truck!

Remember how much mielage UPS got out of that tagline. Heck, I think they still use it.

BV will have arrived when UPS does some marketing/adverstising with the rail.

I think the success (for each) will come.
You tree'd me Jim.

Wouldn't that be a great ad?? "Race the truck Bob!!"

I saw one last weekend showing Dale racing the truck in a computer generated spot..comes in for a pit stop..and he's in the driver's seat just shaking his head. And I thought WOW..to fix the truck up to line up next to a T/F 'er..LOL. Endless storylines there.

You tree'd me Jim.

Wouldn't that be a great ad?? "Race the truck Bob!!"

I saw one last weekend showing Dale racing the truck in a computer generated spot..comes in for a pit stop..and he's in the driver's seat just shaking his head. And I thought WOW..to fix the truck up to line up next to a T/F 'er..LOL. Endless storylines there.

Better again, line the fueller up against a FedEx or DHL truck and blow them away!

UPS is not the only guilty party.

When was the last time you saw a John Force Castrol commercial? You would think they would try to capitalize on umpteen championships and the biggest star in the drag racing galaxy, wouldn't you?

Kudos to Valvoline and Q for including drag racing in their recent national spots in heavy rotation.

I do like the idea of cross-promotion. I think Brandon Bernstein and Junior would make a fantastic Bud commercial, have Junior ask Brandon to borrow his ride for a few minutes and then cut to the Top Fueler coming off the banking at turn 4 at Daytona rocketing towards the start/finish line as the announcer in the background announces Junior is on pole with a new track record. It would have to be CGI of course, but it would still be cool.

I think there is huge potential with the UPS thing too with Dale Jarrett and Vandergriff. It would certainly be a way to maximise marketing value for all parties involved.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back