Why no interviews with Toliver? (1 Viewer)

Terry

Nitro Member
Unless I missed it, I have seen no interviews with Jerry Tolliver about his return to NHRA via the Rockstar sponsorship, or after his qualifying for the race this weekend. I was just wondering if the Rockstar vs Powerade thing is getting in the way of some coverage for Tolliver's race team? I know it sounds conspiracy theorist, but seems like the guy returning to drag racing and bringing a new sponsor with him might be worth at least one sound byte during a qualifying or race brodcast.

Maybe my brain cells aren't working as they should but I seem to remember him being interviewed in a previous show.

It's not only JT they are not talking to... They were supposed to come back to Ashley Force and or Del and nuttin... :( I guess if you want some speak time, you need to cut in line while Gerry has the mic up, talking to someone else... :eek: :D

Maybe my brain cells aren't working as they should but I seem to remember him being interviewed in a previous show.
You're probably right, David. I may have missed it or just don't remember it. I did think thought, maybe they could have found a bit of time to talk to him after he qualified Sat since they didn't have as many runs to show as usual.

No interview with Cruz, either. Sponsor conflict? I think not. Note, especially, the graceful way that Ron Capps said, (I paraphrase):
We appreciate what O'Reilly has done in sponsoring the race. We're NAPA guys, but we appreciate it.

I'm certain that Jerry Tolliver, Cruz Pedregon, and countless others would answer interview questions with similar courtesy to all of the sponsors involved.

Mayhap, Jerry and Cruz were unavailable.
Cheers,
Ed

I don't know but, I wouldn't blame NHRA if they didn't want to "showcase" Jerry (or rather) his new sponsor.
I have no idea how much editorial control NHRA might have with ESPN2 but, why should you expect them to "bite the hand that feeds 'em"
After all, Powerade is not just a car sponsor or a race sponsor but they bankroll the series. Regardless of what their contract might say, I doubt they'd go after any Pepsi product either.
Just my speculation.

No interview with Cruz, either. Sponsor conflict? I think not. Note, especially, the graceful way that Ron Capps said, (I paraphrase):
We appreciate what O'Reilly has done in sponsoring the race. We're NAPA guys, but we appreciate it.

I'm certain that Jerry Tolliver, Cruz Pedregon, and countless others would answer interview questions with similar courtesy to all of the sponsors involved.

Mayhap, Jerry and Cruz were unavailable.
Cheers,
Ed
Ed, good point. I also thought Ron Capps handled the NAPA/O'Reilly situation with the utmost class. I'm sure both companies would be extremely pleased how he gave exposure to both without creating any adversarial relationships. He is quite a spokesman and a heck of a driver.

You`d think with a three hour show, they could get a quick interview in with every winning driver after his/her run, starting with first round. Do a picture in picture if you have to. The only interview Cory got on Sunday was after first round, when Gary was asking him the same questions as they did on the qualifying show..."who owns the team?" BS for a driver who was runner up!

I don't know but, I wouldn't blame NHRA if they didn't want to "showcase" Jerry (or rather) his new sponsor.
After all, Powerade is not just a car sponsor or a race sponsor but they bankroll the series.

If that's true then why all the coverage of Kenny Bernstein and his Monster beverage sponsor? I can't believe there hasn't been at least a short feature on Toliver, he brings Dale Armstrong back, he brings a new sponsor into the sport and NHRA can't give him a little coverage to make the sponsor feel they're getting something back for their money? Its just stupid, Toliver is a pretty interesting personality that is entertaining and fun to listen to, NHRA is hurting themselves by not giving him some airtime.

With the gaps in the stands and the "one deep" set of fans on the fence at this race its looking like NHRA could use all the help they can get in raising the excitement level of the sport and its racers.

Paul T.

And though it was nice of ESPN to touch upon Dick Lahaie's return, did they ever mention anything about Dale Armstrong? I guess he may be a little out of ESPN's time, but it was way more mind blowing to me to see him back than Dick -O.

It is said that there is no such thing as bad publicity BUT there is such a thing as overexposure and we are reaching that point with "the Force Family". Lets give others some screen time.

Sounds like DejaVu all over again.... Weren't we just talking about this at Pomona??? :rolleyes:

I was told many of the fans came dressed as empty seats at this event!!!;)

If you're talking about St. Louis you couldn't be more wrong. Saturday was full and people on the fence to 1000'. Sunday was a late arriving crowd probably due to being in the pits but once the pros started running it was nearly full.

Regarding the "Too much Force" complaint, I'm in full agreement but I must say after John's loss in the 2nd round he was returning on his scooter in front of the pit side stands and stopped at 1/2 track to watch Ashley's run against TJ. While he was riding up the road along the fence the crowd all applauded him tried to get a response out of him.

As soon as Ashley beat TJ, John went nuts and the crowd fed off it. The place was rocking!

My point being, the majority of fans are Force fans so that's what'll get covered.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back