Whiteley shooting to start year strong in Pomona (1 Viewer)

[coverattach=1]POMONA, Calif. – After extensive testing at Speedworld Motorplex in Phoenix in January, NHRA Top Alcohol Dragster driver Jim Whiteley and his YNot Racing team hope to start the year strong during this weekend’s Kragen O’Reilly Winternationals at Auto Club Raceway in Pomona, Calif. Despite not making full runs in testing, Whiteley feels the team made solid gains on the front half of the track.

Whiteley, from Grand Junction, Colo., and his team lead by Norm Grimes made over 20 launches during testing in Phoenix. The team hopes to build on that progress in Pomona.

“We found out a few things testing in January,” said Whiteley. “Norm and the guys worked real hard over the winter. Chip Nielsen front halved the car, so we have some fresh pipe as well. There were some things that Norm had been wanting to try, but never had a chance, so that’s what we were able to go do in Phoenix. We ran some impressive early numbers, so hopefully that will carry over to Pomona.

After a second place national finish and winning the Division 7 Championship, Whiteley has his eyes set on another run at both championships.

“I have a great team behind me,” stated Whiteley. “We’re going into the year with the hopes of competing for a national championship again. We had a great year last year, finishing second nationally and winning the Division 7 Championship, but that doesn’t guarantee us anything this year. There are some great teams out there we’ll have to battle week in and week out, so it will be a heck of a challenge once again. I think the challenge and camaraderie we have with our competitors is what makes this so fun. We’re all looking forward to the challenge once again.”

Qualifying begins on Thursday for the alcohol cars with two more sessions on Friday. Eliminations begin with round one on Saturday and final eliminations will conclude the event on Sunday.

For more information on the team, visit their website at www.YNotRacing.com

Attachments

• whiteley_pomona21_689389.jpg
    whiteley_pomona21_689389.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 2,217
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back