Where's Sketch ?? Remember him?? (1 Viewer)

DragFan2

Nitro Member
Hey longtime Maters...

Since we are coming up on Bristol, my feeble memory kicked in and made me think of Sketch who used to post on Nitromater alot several years ago. He lived in the Tri-City area of Tennesee as I recall and he attended the Bristol race most years. Anyone know what he's up to, and why he chose not to re-join the Mater when it went to REAL NAMES? Or maybe he is on here and I just don't know his REAL NAME!! Sketch, if you are out there lurking, send us a sign! Come-on back.

Well, since this probably belongs in the Lounge, maybe I better write something related to the upcoming race, like why am I not going to be there? Any of you fly-in Maters that haven't made it to Bristol (Joe/KingNitro) are missing a fantastic experience. There is nothing like the sound of nitro cars echoing through Thunder Valley. I can't afford to make the trip this year but am hoping to go again next year. It is one of those deals you have to plan for well in advance and other things took priority this year. I did make the weekend in Gainesville for the Gators so have had my yearly nitro fix, but the year is long and after Bristol, ALL the races will be far far away besides maybe the race in Virginia.

Sketch's real name is Ian Hawkins, and no, it does not look like he signed up with his real name. I do have his e-mail address if you want it, just drop me a PM.

He lived about 40 miles from Bristol in Morristown, TN. He used to act all hyper that I had a nostalgia nitro funny going together, that he couldn't wait to come up some weekend. He stopped returning calls ages ago. Don't know what happened with him.

Ahem. Now, what maters might you think of visiting while you're in Bristol? :confused: :D

Ron (thinking of installing a walk through metal detector at my garage door before the Bristol race!) Dunlap

Last edited:
Ron,

I figured you would respond to this thread, since you are the most active and vocal Mater from the Bristol/Tri-City area. Thanks for the info on Sketch, and also to Lance for letting me know his real name was Ian Hawkins, although I'm not sure I will go to the trouble of tracking him down. He KNOWS how to find us here on Nitromater, or in your case Ron, I guess he could drive over to see you. Must have moved or possibly having problems as I know he lost his father (I think) a couple years ago, and that was tough on him. Maybe he just had to move on to other other things although he seemed to have a real love for drag racing, especially the early years of Funny Car which I assume he got exposed to through his Dad.

Just brought him up as another Mater who we've all lost track of. There are lots more I'm sure.

Kurt
aka: DragFan2

I know. The guy's young and I was hoping to provide him with opportunities that I wish someone would have for me at that age. We're going to be going right by his town on the way to the track with a funny in the next few months, and you'd think he'd be all over it the way he loved it. Like you, I'm figuring he must be wrestling with some personal things. Yeah, he posted some pics of some good work he'd done on a pick up, if anyone remembers.

LOL, I'm just holding back until I think the timing's right to post the link to Shirley's Restaurant on the Bristol thread. At least they have a website and I don't have to write the whole paragraph every year now. It IS about 20 minutes from the track, but I'm convinced the food, atmosphere, and long front porch would make it the ideal place for race fans to meet.

Shirley's Restaurant - Good Old Home Cookin'

Be sure to read the "about" page.

Last edited:
I just hope Sketch is doing OK.

Can't imagine him not taking you up on your offer, Ron.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back