When does FloRacing coverage begin for the PRO shootout in Bradenton? (1 Viewer)

when does first 340 happen? i'm thinking rite away thursday nite Q1. it's rite there for the taking. everyone wants it.

when does first 340 happen? i'm thinking rite away thursday nite Q1. it's rite there for the taking. everyone wants it.
Can't help but wonder what would happen when they got to Gainesville if somebody does it this week. Obviously wouldn't count as an NHRA record. But would NHRA at least give the guy/gal credit for doing it and celebrate the accomplishment? Or would they just pretend it never happened and act like they're still trying to go 340 for the first time ever

We have always acknowledged great performances in testing. But where does it count in history?
John Force once made the quickest run in Funny Car history at the pre-season test at Firebird, it was acknowledged and reported. But it wasn't a record.
Dean Skuza made his first 4 second run on a warm up day for a rescheduled rain delayed race (Richmond I think) but it didn't get him in the 4-second club.

If you bowl 300 while practicing you don't get the ring that you would get if you did it during your league play. But you can still brag about throwing it. I sure would!

How many 500' home runs did Barry Bonds hit in spring training? It doesn't matter, because while they would talk about how hot his bat was in spring training, those home runs wouldn't count toward his official total.

Alan

We have always acknowledged great performances in testing. But where does it count in history?
John Force once made the quickest run in Funny Car history at the pre-season test at Firebird, it was acknowledged and reported. But it wasn't a record.
Dean Skuza made his first 4 second run on a warm up day for a rescheduled rain delayed race (Richmond I think) but it didn't get him in the 4-second club.

If you bowl 300 while practicing you don't get the ring that you would get if you did it during your league play. But you can still brag about throwing it. I sure would!

How many 500' home runs did Barry Bonds hit in spring training? It doesn't matter, because while they would talk about how hot his bat was in spring training, those home runs wouldn't count toward his official total.

Alan
Well put Allen, testing and experimenting is not the same thing as running on race day, it is still impressive to run record runs like you said through, there’s to much at stake when you only have 3 or 4 passes to make the show and figure how to run strong and consistent on finals day, I hope to see 340 this year no matter where it happens

But would NHRA at least give the guy/gal credit for doing it and celebrate the accomplishment? Or would they just pretend it never happened and act like they're still trying to go 340 for the first time ever
A good example that is sort of related would be Bill Walsh being the first person over 320 while driving Joe Amato's car in 1997 pre season testing. There was some mention of it, but that was it. Cory Mac gets the credit for being the first to go 320 in Dallas later that year.

Alan
I like your analogy on bowling Alan. I bowled my first 300 game in practice and sure did brag about it. Then I bowled two in league and got my ring. Even though those games happened in the late 70s I still have vivid memories of them.

The day will be cloudy and in the low 70s. It will happen Friday night, right around 9:10pm, the date 7/19/2024
at Pacific Raceways. If you are coming to Seattle this year and haven't heard, we get FOUR pro qualifying
session's. The second session Friday, funny cars 8:15pm followed by the long skinny cars. Pretty sure if TF or FC
is going to run 340 this year, it will happen before Seattle. I can wish can't I. Below is the information I got last
week 1/30/2024. It's a little misleading, we have been racing under the light's for years! When we got are National
Event back in 1988, we had night qualifying for a few years until the racers started bitching how bad the lighting
was (this is true!).

Night shots from Seattle, mid 1970s Top Fuel action

1707175391251.png

1707175414612.png

Last edited:
FLO would do well to sell just the PRO Superstar Shootout event. Many NHRA fans I know will not sign up for the monthly service, only to have to go through the hassle of trying to cancel that subscription after the race. Have no interest in watching any of the other content.

FLO would do well to sell just the PRO Superstar Shootout event. Many NHRA fans I know will not sign up for the monthly service, only to have to go through the hassle of trying to cancel that subscription after the race. Have no interest in watching any of the other content.
So you only watch drag racing?

today on WFO radio joe and allen were talking about bradenton. alan referenced my previous post (statement) regarding 340 on thursday night with
a little trepidation......alan, i am guilty of being a little excited about the possibility, and also think it may be likely the track treatment will vary from standard national event protocol.
of course anything ran this week will not be an nhra record; but i think the aura of big performance surrounds this event. JMHO.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back