What's you best Indy experience, memory? (1 Viewer)

Sitting in hospitality tent with Shirley Muldowney and my wife as Doug's car was warming up 20ft. away, after two blips of loud pedal, my wife was on the ground. After he shut it off my stunned wife asked Shirley if she minded the noise, not noise at all she said she loved it.

My First Indy was '92, and seeing Kenny lay down the First 300 MPH pass there the place Went Nutz!

Seeing the Reaction Norm Wilding got after doing a 1000' Burnout in the First round in '92!

The Power outage during Friday night qualifying in '96, the Fans on Opposite sides of the Stands were Chanting "Taste great....Less Filling!"

Seeing the Dissapointment the fans had in '02 when Don Garlits was bumped out by that Japanese TF driver who drove Robert Reehl's car with a 4.76. That would be the Last time Garlits ran Indy!

Hearing Dave McClellan in the Tower demanding that if the driver of the car blocking someone behind the Tower doesn't get it moved, it will be dissasembled and sent back to Japan!!!!
Watching the sad look on Don's face after he was bumped out was painfull.

to many to recall but loved darrell g calling out big in 86 and the old man shuttin him down, the lil dragster they gave him few yrs back and him taking it down track , and lots of others most i cant post on here lol , just way to many great memories like all times at track. althouhg theres also been some heart breaking ones too. not going to bring those up eveyone remembers each yr at this time

i wasnt alive yet, but i dont care.....1982....the Chi-Town Hustler takes the first Big Bud Shootout.....still got the cooler that was full of Budweiser, which was given to us for winning

1989 - only time.
snake and larry morgan both doubled up - the snake crushed um'.
d. gwynn wins - gwynn runs a 4 in final / lahaie the same in semi's.
i think at the time only g. snow had run a 4 in nhra competition.

Sausage sandwiches
sitting at 1000 ft watching the psb's
seeing the Ford Thunderbolt superstocker up close
watching Jeggie run 170mph+ in a super gas car.
shaking Big's hand
seeing Jim White's amazing weekend
taking my Dad to a race he'd never thought he would get to

Mark

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Darrell Gwynn taking a hand-controlled dragster for a lap at the 50th annual in 2001. That was an emotional moment.

Ian

2005...the only time I've been....won an all expenses trip courtesy of CSK via their Fantasy League...then got to see Del do the double-up

2008 - I'm making my first trip ever to Indy.

So if anyone has any tips or tricks, be sure to let me know.
I'm sooo excited and I have over a year to wait.

1964 - a 16 year old gets to be a crewmember for Herb "Mr. 4 Speed " McCandless!
And 1965 . . . racing our BB/GD. We were a bunch of Hillbillies from Memphis and got our ass kicked. Even though we lost, I'll never forget staging to race at the "Big Go"!
Haven't been back since then - did the 500 and Brickyard at IMS this year. I'm gonna insist that our Old Farts Racing Team goes drag racing in 2008 - :cool:

I went to Butler Univ in Indy and in 1975 got a chance through one of my friends to work the manufacturer's gate. We were given strict instructions not to let anybody but manufacturers in that gate. Don Prudhomme's pit was just on the other side of the gate and we let him in one day and got an ass chewing from one of the NHRA supervisors so for the rest of the event we had to turn him away and send him to the right gate which was on the other side of the track. He was not a happy camper with us. Sorry Snake, just doing my job!

I went to Butler Univ in Indy and in 1975 got a chance through one of my friends to work the manufacturer's gate. We were given strict instructions not to let anybody but manufacturers in that gate. Don Prudhomme's pit was just on the other side of the gate and we let him in one day and got an ass chewing from one of the NHRA supervisors so for the rest of the event we had to turn him away and send him to the right gate which was on the other side of the track. He was not a happy camper with us. Sorry Snake, just doing my job!

IMO..........this is one of NHRA's biggest problems. They just don't get why they have jobs. :rolleyes: IT IS ABOUT THE RACERS!!!!!

I`ve been to Indy once and that was for the 50th in `04. My wifes favorite racer (other than Cory) is Densham, and seeing him double up that weekend was especially nice. My alltime favorite memory though is when '240 Gordie' Bonin won the 25th Indy in `79.

After finally figuring out that only going to Brainerd each year to get my nitro fix wasn't enough, my brother and I took in our first Indy in 1996. Despite the tragedies, it still matched all the hype I had heard. I'll always remember my first view of the staging lanes and seeing a couple hundred cars lined up and thinking "this is it, I'm in heaven". I was impressed with all the exhibition cars, the fuel altereds, there were even a couple jet funny cars, which I haven't seen since.

2004, the 50th US Nationals, was awesome too. I loved the cacklefest and all the nostalgia cars that were on display. I would love it if a cacklefest was a regular feature at all events. They certainly bring back some fine memories.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back