What's Up With IHRA For 2011? (1 Viewer)

Rat

Nitro Member
They have to get a bigger program together. Personally, congrats to all the champions as they played by the rules and won, yet overall their entire 2010 program seemed a mess.

They have to get a bigger program together. Personally, congrats to all the champions as they played by the rules and won, yet overall their entire 2010 program seemed a mess.

Is the mess you are referring too the record breaking crowds they had at several races and tracks? Get used to it, it's going to be the same format next year with some changes in the lineup

I guess what I'd like to see is a slightly more cohesive and consistent format from track to track. Things like most of them being 2 day events except for a few 3 day events, all the extra classes at some tracks, and varied field sizes are probably what the OP called a "mess".

Yes, it was successful and IMO there was good racing all season for the champions - didn't see any lying down or not going hard. I also understand that some of the racers have other commitments and travel out here (and Utah) is difficult but I would like to see 8 car TF and Prostalgia fields. I'd also LOVE to see 8 car PF fields but I'm happy with 4 next year in Edmonton.

And I wonder if there is any way that the "I" could talk nice to the MMPSA folks and bring PS back? Ditto for PM...

I guess what I'd like to see is a slightly more cohesive and consistent format from track to track. Things like most of them being 2 day events except for a few 3 day events, all the extra classes at some tracks, and varied field sizes are probably what the OP called a "mess".

Yes, it was successful and IMO there was good racing all season for the champions - didn't see any lying down or not going hard. I also understand that some of the racers have other commitments and travel out here (and Utah) is difficult but I would like to see 8 car TF and Prostalgia fields. I'd also LOVE to see 8 car PF fields but I'm happy with 4 next year in Edmonton.

And I wonder if there is any way that the "I" could talk nice to the MMPSA folks and bring PS back? Ditto for PM...

All of the Pro Shows next year are going to be Fri-Sat shows. There will be some new players, and unfortunately I would not count on the Prostalgia guys traveling out west, as it's just not possible for them. They will most likely fill those races with west coast racers again. I know there has been talk of having the same four TF guys traveling to all the races and then picking up 2-4 regional TFers at each race. At this point I don't think the IHRA has completely finalized their plans yet.

no Maryland International Raceway or Virginia Motorsports Park in 2011. :D:eek:. . . . .. . didn't IHRA know that is door car country!

it will be 1/4 mile but there won't be any Top Fuel cars....last I heard it was 4-8 FCs and 4 Altereds and some jets

Mike, why would they run these faster cars a 1/4 when they have been running the slower sportsman Pro AM's there as 1/8 mile events? I was always told it was a shutoff distance issue.

Mike, why would they run these faster cars a 1/4 when they have been running the slower sportsman Pro AM's there as 1/8 mile events? I was always told it was a shutoff distance issue.

The place is on the short side, but a car that goes 250mph should be able to stop there without a problem. My brother and I have run fuel cars there in the past and gone the full 1/4 so I don't see why they wouldn't now. I was there a few years ago and Jesse Harris went 292mph in Hanna's jet dragster and didn't have a problem.

Those tracks, as well as Rockingham, want a drag race, not a SHOW!

you can have both, and the fans appreciate both a little more. Ask any of the IHRA pro racers if they took their cars to the starting line not wanting to kick the other guys ass!

Anyone know,has Virginia Motorsports Park officially ended it's relationship with IHRA? I heard they went back to NHRA for 2011.

An NHRA national meet is a drag race and also a show and yes, it is entertainment. IHRA's nitro jam is a booked-in-show and therefore, not a drag race, but a "show," which features cars/drivers who are paid to show up and put on a "show." And yes, IHRA's nitro jam qualifies, like NHRA's national meets as a "show."

I define drag racing as open-competition.

PS: I've been around the sport for more than 50 years and have seen and enjoyed both "shows" and open-competition drag racing. However, I prefer the latter.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back