what happened to morgan (1 Viewer)

Picture Larry with his tongue planted firmly in his cheek when he made that statement!

Yup, you're right Dave. I had forgotten that a burned push rod is a common cause of an engine losing fire. Happens all the time.

Don't know what I was thinking. My apologies...

Burning a pushrod is not uncommon.
Imagine the load on a pushrod with a spring seat pressure over 500 lbs
Then open the valve over 1" and the load goes through the roof.
Now send that metal form the burned pushrod through the motor at 10,000 RPMS.
:eek::eek::eek::eek:

I'm sure Larry Morgan had a good reason for not making that pass, especially after seeing the effect it had the cars ahead of him. I've never heard of burning a push rod, bending or breaking maybe. If I was a betting man, my money would go on him not taking a chance on wrecking that beautiful car.:)

I'm sure Larry Morgan had a good reason for not making that pass, especially after seeing the effect it had the cars ahead of him. I've never heard of burning a push rod, bending or breaking maybe. If I was a betting man, my money would go on him not taking a chance on wrecking that beautiful car.:)

"burning" a pushrod is something REAL. I haven't heard of it happen much in a normally aspirated engine, but in blown alcohol motors, it can be a problem. lack of lubricant at fire up causes it. thick oil after sitting a while can cause it also. if it takes too long to get oil to the adjuster and ball it will burn it in the cup area then it will pop out of place.

I think I would have been more concerned with burning the roof of my beautiful new Mustang after it suddenly and unexpectedly flipped upside down on the rapidly degrading Firebird lane surface, rather than burning a pushrod. But that's just me. I'm a Chevy guy after all. What do I know...;)

First...I like Larry Morgan. Second, I've never been able to tell that I had a valve train problem until right after the loud bang and subsequent smoke.
I pulled my dragster from competition late one evening at the Tulsa Spring Nationals one year as soon as I realized that my car was covered in heavy dew. To me, heavy dew on my car meant heavy dew on the track. Just as soon as I pulled my car into the trailer, a pro stock car lost control and went over the guard rail.
Good call Larry. I mean on finding that push rod problem.:)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back