We have lost another one of the Original Pioneers - Larry Ofria (1 Viewer)

Ramjet

Nitro Member
Today Larry Ofria (Valley Head Service) passed. Larry is Gino's Dad. Larry started out porting heads in a small building on his Dads property in Canoga Park California. Over the years he turned VHS into one of the "Players" in the industry. He worked with Racers like Warren Johnson developing GM cylinder heads. VHS did more than cylinder heads including Drag Racing as well as Circle Track engines. Larry has been a player in the NHRA A/Gas nostalgia class with a full Bodied 57' Chevy that Gino took over the tuning duties on a few years ago. The car won some Championships and it looked like you could drive it down to Bobs Big Boy. Having driven it a few times it could be an E Ticket ride every once in a while. Larry's in a better place now but we need to give our thaughts & prayers to Gino and Larry's wife Kim. He leaves two sons, a daughter and wife Kim as well as a Legacy. The Pool of Pioneers is really dwindling.

Last edited:
Today Larry Ofria (Valley Head Service) passed. Larry is Gino's Dad. Larry started out porting heads in a small building on his Dads property in Canoga Park California. Over the years he turned VHS into one of the "Players" in the industry. He worked with Racers like Warren Johnson developing GM cylinder heads. VHS did more than cylinder heads including Drag Racing as well as Circle Track engines. Larry has been a player in the NHRA A/Gas nostalgia class with a full Bodied 57' Chevy that Gino took over the tuning duties on a few years ago. The car won some Championships and it looked like you could drive it down to Bobs Big Boy. Having driven it a few times it could be an E Ticket ride every once in a while. Larry's in a better place now but we need to give our thaughts & prayers to Gino and Larry's wife Kim. He leaves two sons, a daughter and wife Kim as well as a Legacy. The Pool of Pioneers is really dwindling.
Rest in peace🙏🙏

It's been a rough last couple of days. thank you everyone for your thoughts and prayers. He's gone on to a better place now.

Been communication with Larry Dixon Jr. about our dad's longtime friendship and we joked around that they're in heaven street racing their tri-fives.

It's been a rough last couple of days. thank you everyone for your thoughts and prayers. He's gone on to a better place now.

Been communication with Larry Dixon Jr. about our dad's longtime friendship and we joked around that they're in heaven street racing their tri-fives.
Yep - But it AIN’T going to happen the same way because I’m pretty sure there is no Chandler Blvd. or Victory Blvd. in Platt Ranch up there so they can talk about the old days. Take care of Kim and yes he is in a better place. I rode in the Pickup with the Olds engine and it was a sleeper.

I didn't know the Ofrias but I'm known about Valley Head Service for decades, being a SoCal native who was born 20 miles from their facility and spent a lot of my youth in the area.

Larry sounds like someone I would have really enjoyed meeting and getting to know. Always hate to lose a racing pioneer but unfortunately, tiime marches on and waits for no one.

my condolences gino. your dad's name was mentioned over the P.A. at brainerd over weekend, along with s. richardson and scott bloomquist

Thanks Mike! I much appreciate you telling me that, otherwise I would have never known. Been going through some photos on my thumb drive and came across this one of him with Harry "Hand Grenade" Hibler (one of his besties), automotive journalist Steve Ford and Hot Rod (Deluxe) magazine's Dave Wallace a few years back.

IMG_3077.JPG

I saddend to see the news that Larry Ofria passed away a week ago. I met Mr. Ofria at his shop Valley Head Service around 2017 to see about rebuilding a SBC 350. I lived in the valley and being retired I looking for something to do so I bought a 1970 Corvette to rebuild. Looking through yelp.com I stumbled upon Valley Head Service.
Now I've never touched a car before but I was always enamored with speed, burning rubber and a lot of noise Lol ! Well with my appointment set I looked forward to my visit, when I walked into the shop a couple of men were working and I asked for Larry and they pointed to the rear so as I walked to the back this older man was walking gingerly towards me and I asked if he was Larry and I introduced myself only for him to reply, Oh I can't meet today he to go to the doctors, I stopped looked him straight in the eyes and said , are you kidding me I just spent and hour getting here ! LOL ! He kinda grinned and said come on into my office. He says what ya got ? I said a 1970 Corvette and he quickly called me an a**hole, I was stunned and we both broke out in laughter. We sat for a bit talking about engines and The Rock Store on Mullholland which I frequented on my motorcycle and meeting Jay Leno there who Larry said he knew well, adding all 3 of us should go up there one day, lets try and do that he said I'm like that would be nuts, lol. Anyway he proceeded to walk me through the shop to a room of engines with to me glistened and roared also showing me his work bench. Out of there he showed me a rail dragster (a young lady he said drove it very well ) and next to it, his 57' Chevy he built-up and drove I was in awe. He said come on I'll show you my Camaro because it had a 400 block in it that he felt would be a good choice for me. On the way I met his wife Kim ( very nice lady) in the office and another young man who had just flown in from South Korea I believe (nice guy) unfortunately Larry forgot his keys as we got to the Camaro but....
Walking back into the shop Larry said well I given you some things to think about (boy did he, my head was spinning with information) I agreed and said I'd see him again, which I did.
Let me just end with this, Larry Ofria didn't have to meet with me but he did and I must say it felt like I had known Larry for a long time. I will forever remember my time spent with him, he was a kind and good man.

My condolences to all the Ofria family.

Brian F. McGrath

Thank you for your kind words Brian, we're all doing the best we can. You express your experience with dad to a tee. He had a sarcastic kidding sense of humor.

BTW, that young man who just flown in from So. Korea was most likely was me. Though at 60 myself, I'm not that young. ;)

Sorry for your loss Gino although the last 12 months or so were not pleasant for your pops. I'll miss seeing him and getting a bear hug from him too.

Kinda funny story that occurred when I was at the shop a couple of years ago to pick up Barbara's long since completed Pinto engine. He knew we were coming but from different directions that day to finally get it back in the car after 13 years. I got there first and I thought he knew who I was as we sat back in the corner where the engine and the '57 sat. We talked for probably 15 minutes, him treating me like family and I said something from back in the day, and he says, "wait, who are you again?!" He had forgotten (although he was sharp, just forgotten our appointment) and that's when the hug and smile really started.

My point is, he treated everyone like family with his caring style. My biggest regret is I said that day that I needed to get my dad out to Northridge for the two of them to go to a 3-hour lunch to get caught up and reminisce. Sadly, that won't happen now, at least not here.

RIP Larry.

456706160_8458269360904140_5079343603745866837_n.jpg

I am sorry to learn of this loss. :(

What a good guy Mr. Ofria.

A few times, I volunteered on local nostalgia teams weekend warrior outings. Mr. Ofria let me know if I needed any help at all, to feel free to ask him. Really grateful for his awesome support like that. Seemed like a fixture at Bakersfield.

Really sorry for your loss Gino. :(

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back