Venables takes over GEICO Powersports/Lucas Oil dragster (1 Viewer)

Perhaps I'm naive, but are there really only about two dozen people on the planet who can tune a nitro car? Is the world of nitro racing so small that all the teams just play musical chairs with the same people? It reminds me of the classic definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Aren't there people who are assistants who are up-and-comers? Aren't there people in the alcohol ranks who could be given a shot?

Perhaps I'm naive, but are there really only about two dozen people on the planet who can tune a nitro car? Is the world of nitro racing so small that all the teams just play musical chairs with the same people? It reminds me of the classic definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Aren't there people who are assistants who are up-and-comers? Aren't there people in the alcohol ranks who could be given a shot?

Kinda like pro football coaches.

Kinda like pro football coaches.

Or basketball, or baseball, or... it makes you wonder where they all come from in the first place. With everyone just being recycled all the time, how does anyone new ever get into the game?

In a way, it makes you respect Force for giving people like Zippy, Prock, and Guido a shot at it. Sure he has the old guard of Coil and Fedderly, but the guys with the front line job are all under 40.

Or basketball, or baseball, or... it makes you wonder where they all come from in the first place. With everyone just being recycled all the time, how does anyone new ever get into the game?

In a way, it makes you respect Force for giving people like Zippy, Prock, and Guido a shot at it. Sure he has the old guard of Coil and Fedderly, but the guys with the front line job are all under 40.

But, Zippy and Prock were successful crew chief's before coming to JFR. I give respect to guys like Danny DeGennaro. They want it so bad they step up and take advantage of the opportunity. Thats what makes a real good nitro crew chief. The one driver that would make an excellent crew chief is Robert Hight. He was personally studying under Coil for all the years at JFR and would work scenarios with him and hypothetical tuning calls.

Seems to me sticking with the same crew chief whilst not getting the results you want/expect race after race is more closely associated with the definition of insanity provided above. Walsh had a good run with that team, they won a few races, but could never nail down the consistency or take the "next step". The Lucases decided it was time to bring in some new/different ideas, and IMO now is the perfect time to do it. They can run a couple of races this year, work some things out, and hopefully hit the ground running next year. It also gives Walsh the opportunity to get a gig well in advance of next season as there is always a shuffle around this time of year. While I am sure no one likes getting let go/replaced, it seems there are more positives than negatives for all involved here.

Every one around here is quick to point the finger at Morgan, one thing it is easy to lose sight of is this game is NOT easy. Not everyone can win all the time. Any way you slice it, the title in Top Fuel is going to be decided between AJR/Al Anabi and DSR for the forseeable future. Everyone else is fighting for the leftovers, and even that is an all-out dog fight.

I wish the Lucases all the luck in the world and genuinely hope they find the success they are looking for, and commend them for continuing to push that boulder up the hill. Our sport is much better with them actively participating in it.

PS no way is Prock under 40, unless he got his first crew chief gig when he was 12. Also, I think Zippy was 35 or 36 when he tuned Scelzi to the title, so that puts him at or just above 40.

Last edited:
But, Zippy and Prock were successful crew chief's before coming to JFR. I give respect to guys like Danny DeGennaro. They want it so bad they step up and take advantage of the opportunity. Thats what makes a real good nitro crew chief. The one driver that would make an excellent crew chief is Robert Hight. He was personally studying under Coil for all the years at JFR and would work scenarios with him and hypothetical tuning calls.

I find it ironic that two guys whose careers have been so closely linked for the past ten years, are mentioned in the same thread. Danny and Jimmy Walsh. As I wrote in another post, Danny has been trained and tutored by Jimmy Walsh since he was first hired by Jimmy Prock at Joe Amato's.

However, no amount of training is going to do you any good if you don't have the opportunity to move up the ladder. Let's face it, if Cruz doesn't have an opening at the beginning of this season, Danny doesn't get recommended, and he sits out the 2010 season, just like he did the 2009 season, because the Monster Drinks car lost its sponsor!

I don't know how or where the crew chiefs of tomorrow are going to come from, but a lot of it is not only going to depend on a high degree of skill and professionalism, but a lot of good luck and good timing.

I know Danny is grateful for this opportunity and he will try to make the most of it. Hopefully other kids will be given the same opportunity to come up thru the ranks.

As for the GEICO car, let's hope Venables can deal with the Lucas mindset and help them point themselves in the right direction for next season.

Bob De Gennaro

WEV. I was close.

My point is, where do new crew chiefs come from? If teams don't take a shot on young guns, the answer is "nowhere".

I am thinking the young guns stay under the big time crew chiefs with established teams for as long as they can. Guaranteed paycheck and a continuing education. Most guys have to step out to smaller/underfunded/part-time teams to get that first shot ... that is perilous to say the least, especially if you don't get the results to get the next level to notice you, then your career is going backwards in a hurry. I am sure there are a few guys at DSR and JFR that we will be talking about in a few years.

PS I was stunned that Prock is only 43. Sorry Jimmy, but I thought you were much closer to 50.

WEV. I was close.

My point is, where do new crew chiefs come from? If teams don't take a shot on young guns, the answer is "nowhere".

Come on, they pretty much all come through the ranks.....

remember when Donnie Bender worked under LaHaie
remember when Venebles worked under Medlen
remember when Mike Neff worked under Federly
remember when Guido worked under Austin Coil
remember when Aaron Brooks worked under Neff on Scelzi's FC

Many more stories like these, the next crew chiefs are already out there working on teams..........

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back