UK magazine 'Motor Sport' lunches with Force (1 Viewer)

robinjackson

Nitro Member
If you can ever lay your hands on a copy of the UK magazine Motor Sport, it's always a good read. This month's (May) issue gets better still.

For his monthly "Lunch with..." column, writer Simon Taylor sits down to chew the fat with John and Brittany during a break from filming Driving Force. The result is an article covering eight glossy pages in which the self-confessed "ignorant Limey" author gives a detailed and engrossing account of the Force clan history and the NHRA scene.

It is a rare treat indeed to find drag racing covered at the prestige end of the UK motoring press, so this is a double delight in that respect.

www.motorsportmagazine.com

Nigel Roebuck did a 2 or 3 piece series on Force for Autosport in the early 2000s. It was pretty well received in jolly old England, and led to Force receiving the lifetime achievement award at the Autosport Awards a few years later.

Nigel Roebuck did a 2 or 3 piece series on Force for Autosport in the early 2000s. It was pretty well received in jolly old England, and led to Force receiving the lifetime achievement award at the Autosport Awards a few years later.

Yes, indeed. Autosport will not normally countenance the existence of drag racing, so the (two) Roebuck articles in 2002 were a remarkable occurrence.

On the way to attend the Milwaukee CART race, Roebuck dropped in on Friday night qualifying at Joliet and interviewed Force. His only prior experience of drag racing had been, as a lad, visiting one of the NHRA Dragfest tour events in England in 1964, and he clearly liked what he saw, and heard, at Route 66 -
"... suffice to say that - for sheer drama - nothing I have ever seen in motorsport has impressed me like last Friday evening in Joliet."

I still glance back at these articles from time to time in a sense of wonderment. Can't believe they were written twelve years ago.

The Force family were a huge hit at the Autosport Awards in 2005. Sad - and strange - to say, that fact has never altered Autosport magazine's view of the drags (if you can have a view of something you don't consider exists).

Happily, Nigel Roebuck is now Editor-in-Chief of Motor Sport magazine and we now count him and his publication as a friend to UK drag racing.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back