Two questions (1 Viewer)

wfoerk

Nitro Member
Hi,
I used to closely follow NHRA drags into the mid '90s, but not so much anymore. I attended Friday qualifying at Maple Grove last week and I am puzzled about two things in particular. Hopefully someone can clue me in. First, what's with the 12 car bump spots in the Pro classes? This makes no sense to me. Secondly, why do the pro stock cars sit so long after their burnouts? Oftentimes the driver's door would be open and a crewman would be there. This was after the burnout and before lighting the prestage light. What's up? It used to be burnout, stage, go, without farting around. Now it seems they take more time than the fuel cars. I imagine there's a reason for this.
Thanks in advance,
Steve

They lock only the top 12 in on Friday's to make the Saturday show actually mean something. In the summertime, in the past, the 16 car field would be locked in on Friday night with no chance of getting in on Saturday. The top 12 rule ensures Saturday actually means something since they are 4 spots still open for those who aren't in the show.

Hey Steve, Paul is talking about the Friday evening/night qualifying. Once the NHRA went to 2 pro sessions on Friday, 2 on Saturday, what was happening was all the cars would run the big numbers Friday evening/night, and teams were hard pressed to better any of those numbers on Saturday. Spectators would show up Saturday, and see no change in qualifying. They wouldn't see anyone on the outside break in. To make it more exciting, they only accept the quickest 12 on Friday, then there's four positions open on Saturday to give the fans some action. Convoluted, I know, but that's the reason.

As for the PS pre-run routines, you got me. Maybe someone up on PS can answer you. My guess is that it's to do with less steel, more aluminum, so they need longer to heat up. There's a lot that has changed in a lot of classes. Notice the small chutes a lot of them (PS) use? They're like parasols on shroud lines.

The Pro Stock guys are adjusting the wheelie bars. Because the tires grow after the burnout, they need to be fine tuned just before staging.

Alan

P.S. If you have been away for a while, I have two questions for you. 1: What did you think of the show? And 2: Will you be coming back?

Last edited:
Thanks to all you guys for the info. That 12 car bump makes sense now. Is the wheelie bar adjustment brand new this year? I went to Maple last year and my bro took me out to Pomona for the Finals weekend last November, and I don't recall the PS cars taking that much time. I could be wrong; wouldn't be the first time. ;)

As for the show, I like most everything about what happens on the track. It certainly runs smoothly. Maybe too smoothly at times: PS cars are almost boring to watch, and PS bikes really are. I'm sure that's better for ETs but not so good from this spectator's standpoint. I have always loved the alky cars, and I especially love the injected fuel cars in that class. Comp Eliminator is as bad arse as ever, but Super Gas is just stupid these days. And, of course, the fuel cars are just sick!

Yeah, I'll be back. I would have liked to have gone Sunday but that was my wife's birthday and not her choice of bday entertainment. Nothing beats race day! I live close enough to Maple that I can hear the fuel cars. I sat out in the backyard for first round trying to imagine what was going on. I heard a couple of on/off the throttle runs and REALLY wished I was there!

Thanks to all you guys for the info. That 12 car bump makes sense now. Is the wheelie bar adjustment brand new this year? I went to Maple last year and my bro took me out to Pomona for the Finals weekend last November, and I don't recall the PS cars taking that much time. I could be wrong; wouldn't be the first time. ;)

Pro Stock teams have been making adjustments with the wheelie bars for a number of years now. I don't remember when that all started, maybe the mid '00's?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back