Two class limits per season (1 Viewer)

Mr. Jean

Nitro Member
Thought I would try to get some activity on Sportsman racing. One subject I've seen and spoke of resently, is in Comp Elim.

What do you think of limiting a driver, to TWO classes per season? I've seen a pole on this question, but no replies on why not. In a resent pole, it was 78% voted for it. I am interested in hearing from those against it or those that have heard good reasons to be against it. Anyone?

I thought that was already the rule, is it not? Helps keep the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ racers from screwing up multiple indexes per year.

Tim

I've never raced Comp Eliminator but am a big fan. I think it would be a good idea! I've never like the idea of racers jumping classes after the season starts to take advantage of a soft index.

Jean,
I'll reserve judgment for now. But I have a question, is there any data on how many Comp Racers have actually raced more than 2 classes in one season?? I wouldn't think it was all that common...

Tim-Not yet, as far as I've heard. We'll see what happens later on. Don't know if NHRA would make that change mid season. As of a few months ago, it was just talk.

Greg- Yup, it's a great class, one of the more interesting classes out there, in my opinion.:D

Billy- Don't know of any collected data, but it's happened. Don't want to call anyone out, let's just say that it might give the little guys a better chance to compete. I enjoy Comp. and don't want to see it become all about who has the most money, any more than it has.

Anyway, I wanted to see if there were any good reasons to avoid this rule. Wanted to keep an open mind.:)

I've never raced Comp Eliminator but am a big fan. I think it would be a good idea! I've never like the idea of racers jumping classes after the season starts to take advantage of a soft index.

The only good thing about all this jumping classes is that the index's get equalized faster in those "soft" classes. Of course, the person doing the jumping will have an advantage since he gets to use up all the index's, but in theory if the class jumping happens for a little while it will even out the classes. There is too little racing going on in comp and too much sandbagging, and thats why there is no fan interest in such an awesome class. If we could get back to where .50 - .55 under was a stout pass like it used to be, there'd be more racing since drivers wouldn't have to be so worried about taking permanent. If there was more racing and less sandbagging, I think there would be more fan interest.

My .02

I would love to see a tighter Comp.field and agree with Jamie on that with more jumping in a soft class, it's gets hit sooner. However, it appears to be the new classes coming onboard, that give the money guys another opertunity to win the races.

Without picking on anyone, let's say I'm forming a Big bucks Team. If I want to be serious about winning and money isn't a problem for me or my Team. If I build 3 cars, looking for soft index's. Come out of the box running a second or more under at testing.(A lot do to a very soft index) If I've got 2 other cars able to compete in another soft class or use it to hit other index's, helping my position. I can drive my race and have a blocker and still have my third car, waiting to go, after my soft index gets hit to much. Between all my toys, I could run all season and jump around to the softest class.

I don't need to point out all the other advantages, most know the games I speak of. It's just getting to the point, where the smaller teams can't keep up. They put all their money in 1 car and work their butts off getting it dialed in. Then here comes NHRA with a new class, with a really soft index. Well folks, there goes another season to play catchup.Money rules.

While this IMO can be OK in Pro Teams, if spread out among the different classes, that don't race each other, remember in Comp teams, their all in one race.

I just don't want to see Comp, go the way of the big team pro's. Big teams and big bucks, with the regular racer's just tagging along, with no real chance of a Championship. I just don't think it's good for the sport or the little guy racers.

Then here comes NHRA with a new class, with a really soft index.

That's just it - if we could just get NHRA to stop adding these new classes with soft indexs maybe things would get back on track to levelling out. You're totally right, money rules since the teams with the big money can jump around to all the classes. It also helps to build a car that can fit many classes....Brogdon has his EasTexas supermod for sale, in the ad he said it can be purchased turn key to compete in 10 different classes. Obviously that's not all with the same motor and trans but still, 10 classes with one car is a lot of different classes. And who knows, maybe it can fit a couple more that he doesn't happen to have the right " engine for.

Which brings me to my next point - there are too many classes. If there are a lot of classes that means there are less competitors in each class which leads to softer indexs, and more places for the teams with the means to jump to after they wear out their own index. Nobody even runs the popular classes of just a couple years ago that were so cool to watch since they're so stiff now (C/A, D/A etc). Heck a super run in one of those classes would be .55 under in good air....then give them some heat and humidity in the summer and make them race some "queer" car going 65 under in the heat? They might as well just stay home, and they are.

I don't have all the answers for comp, nor do I profess to, but I think its in the best interest of the class to obtain more of a fan base. I think the way to do that is to cut down on sand bagging as much as possible and I think that can be done by keeping the soft indexs in check. The problem is -- how do you keep the soft indexs in check if all everybody does is sandbag and never hits the index?

"They might as well just stay home, and they are."

This is my fear too. Between the new classes with soft index's and the big money teams and now high price of fuel, I'm sure many are tired of getting beat up and wonder, why go and use up our stuff. :confused: Sure wish NHRA would step up, before Comp as we know it is gone. :(

Nobody even runs the popular classes of just a couple years ago that were so cool to watch since they're so stiff now (C/A, D/A etc). Heck a super run in one of those classes would be .55 under in good air....

I have a good friend who races in D6, in a D/A. He can run -55 -58 in OK conditions, so far that has delivered him 3 rounds this year ( I believe) He is basically a one man show, obsessed with the car and making it faster. Exactly the kind of person who should thrive in Comp, not a guy who can just write huge checks.

Tim

... There is too little racing going on in comp and too much sandbagging, and thats why there is no fan interest in such an awesome class. If we could get back to where .50 - .55 under was a stout pass like it used to be, there'd be more racing since drivers wouldn't have to be so worried about taking permanent. ...

My .02
Talk about hitting the nail on the head!!

After the new lower index, Bo still goes .72 under at SportsNationals in qualifying.:rolleyes:
Bo Butner Runs 7.180/196.85/-0.720, Now #1; AA/SM Index: 7.90

After the new lower index, Bo still goes .72 under at SportsNationals in qualifying.:rolleyes:
Bo Butner Runs 7.180/196.85/-0.720, Now #1; AA/SM Index: 7.90
With acknowledgments to Frank Barone, HOLY CRAP! I guess as long as the car is cert'd to 6.0 seconds, have at it! The index will soon find its proper place. ....donno if anyone else thinks that is an impressive pass, but I sure do!

Yes, Bob
That's a killer run...I imagine Bo was a little miffed to lose .25 after he did such a fine job of protecting the index in Chicago!

Billy!
I was at the Indy divisional when Bo ran a 7.49, and he was invited to leave the property because the car was only cert'd to 7.50. It appears they really don't know what to do with this Comp class. Setting the index at 7.90 is going back to what it was originally, but back them, nobody had a car (none that I knew of) that was cert'd below 7.50. That meant, any car running that class had no chance of running more than .4 under to qualify on a favorable ladder spot, and forget about winning other than sawing down the tree or getting a red light in the other lane. They adjusted the index up just before that event, and Bo still hit it. Comp Eliminator, my favorite class! Really!!! :)

So what do you guys think? Will anyone race him to the stripe and make it a race? Will he boost it and go sixes? Stay tuned. :D

Well, it looks like he ran it out the back door (for the most part) judging by the speed. I think there's still plenty of potential left in it, though. Some of the SBF racers are running similar times on 10-wide tires. Anybody know what Butner's car weighs?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back