Troy Coughlin returning to Pro Mod after winning NMCA championship (1 Viewer)

[coverattach=1]DELAWARE, Ohio (Dec. 18) -- The call of the wild has lured newly crowned NMCA Pro Street world champion Troy Coughlin back to NHRA Pro Mod competition in 2010. Utilizing the guidance and tuning prowess of multi-time Pro Mod and Pro Stock titlist Rickie Smith, Coughlin will rejoin the Get Screened America Pro Mod Challenge after one year's absence, while also defending the NMCA crown he claimed in '09. Coughlin will debut a new nitrous-powered '68 Chevrolet Camaro built by Jerry Bickel for his Pro Mod races.

"I feel like we have some unfinished business in Pro Mod and I have to admit I just love those cars," Coughlin said. "It was an idea I'd been kicking around and when Rickie Smith became available and I had the chance to get behind the wheel of a nitrous car that he was tuning, that sealed it for me.

"We had some success in the past running Pro Mod, winning Englishtown a few years back (in 2005), but I don't know what I was thinking using a massive power-adder like those blown cars use. I firmly believe we'll be much more consistent in the nitrous car and having Rickie on the team I know we'll be fast. I'm super excited about this deal."

In seven NMCA Pro Street races this past season, Coughlin scored wins in Chicago and Charlotte and set the national record for elapsed time and top speed on two occasions. His car was clearly one of the best in the class all season and he was rewarded with his first national series championship at the end of the year.

Although two races overlap on the 2010 Pro Mod and Pro Street schedules, Coughlin still plans to race for back-to-back titles on the NMCA series.

"We'll have to maximize our efforts at the races we're able to attend," Coughlin said. "Whatever room for error a driver may have is already used up but if the car runs the way it did in '09, we'll have a legitimate shot.

"The main thing is we want to have fun. Winning our first championship this year was a heckuva lot of fun so we'll try our best to follow that same path in 2010. With Rickie, Brian Metzenheim, Mike Rees, and Clint Allerton, I know we've got a great chance.

"I'm also really looking forward to racing in the NHRA again alongside my brothers Jeg, Mike, and John, and my son Troy Jr. Family is very important to me and the time we share at the races is always special."

Attachments

• Troy-Headshot09b.jpg
    Troy-Headshot09b.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 41
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back