TORRENCE WINS CHARLOTTE! (1 Viewer)

TORRENCE WINS AGAIN AT CHARLOTTE!
Reigning Champion Regains Point Lead as Countdown Moves to Texas

CHARLOTTE, N.C. – Not even Mother Nature could slow down Steve Torrence at zMAX Dragway where the reigning NHRA Top Fuel Champion won for the fourth time in two years in Monday’s rain-delayed 12th annual NTK Carolina Nationals.

Torrence and his Capco Contractors dragster showed no ill effects from a 24-hour delay in the start of final eliminations brought on by torrential rains that persisted throughout Sunday despite the best efforts of NHRA’s Safety Safari to maintain the integrity of the all-cconcrete racing surface.

In running his winning streak to 14-straight rounds and improving his record at zMAX over the last three years to 18-1, Torrence put just a sliver of distance between himself and veteran Doug Kalitta, whom he defeated in the final when he coupled a sensational .031 reaction time to a track time of 3.772 seconds.

The win was the ninth of the year for the 36-year-old Texan, his 20th in the last two seasons and his 28th over three years, all of them in Capco-backed dragsters tuned by Richard Hogan and prepared by a crew led by Bobby Lagana Jr.

When racing begins this Friday in the 34th annual AAA Texas Fall Nationals at the Texas Motorplex, Torrence will lead Kalitta by 30 points. He entered the Carolina Nationals two points behind but made up that difference with his fourth No. 1 qualifying effort of the season. En route, he picked up eight qualifying bonus points, running his total for the season to a category leading 105.

Meanwhile, Billy Torrence, whom the media continues to characterize as the sport’s “best part-time pro,” moved from ninth to sixth in points despite a narrow second round loss Brittany Force. He’ll start this week 150 points off his son’s lead.

“To race Doug Kalitta (in the final), that’s always special,” Torrence said. “That guy is a legend, the winningest guy to never win a championship. I have a whole lot of respect for him. I really look up to him as a driver (because) he’s always consistent, whether his car’s running good or running bad.

“A few years ago, I’d a probably went up there and choked just thinking about who was in the other lane,” he admitted. “I would have let that really affect me and get into my head, but with the success we’ve had, you build confidence in yourself, you trust in the team and the good Lord and you just go out and do the best you can.

“I knew we had a car that would run with them and if I did my job, we could be right with him on the Tree (the NHRA’s iconic Christmas Tree starting system).

filefragments
filefragments
filefragments

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back