Torrence ready to get ‘back to business as usual’ at Spring Nationals (1 Viewer)

Steve Torrence is putting out the ‘gone fishing’ sign on Tuesday, but it won’t affect his weekend plans of driving the Capco Racing/Tuttle Motorsports Top Fuel dragster in the O’Reilly Auto Parts Spring Nationals, April 29-May 1, at Baytown, Texas, near Houston.

“I wouldn’t do anything that would keep me away from the race track,” said Torrence, of Kilgore, Texas. “This is one of two home-state races we have (the other is Sept. 22-25 at Ennis, Texas, near Dallas) and we expect quite a few family and friends to be at the track this weekend.

“It’s always fun when we have a race in Texas. I am looking forward to visiting with all of them . . . and I look forward to racing against one driver instead of three like we did in the Four-Wide (event at Charlotte, April 17). Now it’s back to business as usual.”

Torrence did win one round of Four-Wide competition and he maintained his hold on 10th place in early Full Throttle Drag Racing action. This is the fifth of 16 NHRA regular-season events prior to the six-race playoffs.

“The car’s performance did pick up at Charlotte and we want that to continue on Friday when qualifying begins (at Royal Purple Raceway),” Torrence continued. “The car went back to the shop and the guys worked on some things that should help us this week.”

Torrence and fellow Top Fuel driver Terry McMillen plan to go deep sea fishing on Tuesday. “I like to fish, and heck, we’ll be right on the Gulf of Mexico, so I thought we’d take advantage of it,” he explained. ESPN2 will show highlights of the fishing adventure on its Saturday or Sunday program.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back