TORRENCE IN BID FOR SECOND TITLE (1 Viewer)

Torrence Eyes Second Straight Title
BUT MELLO YELLO CHAMP UNDER SEIGE AT AUTO CLUB FINALS

POMONA, Calif. – Through the polarized lenses of his new Freebyrds model BEX sunglasses, Steve Torrence can see clearly the path to the Top Fuel championship that would make him just the eighth driver in NHRA history to win back-to-back titles in drag racing’s signature category.

For the 36-year-old Texan, it simply is a matter of turning on four win-lights this week at Auto Club Raceway at Pomona in a Capco Contractors dragster in which he has won nine times this year and in which he has appeared in more than half the final rounds contested over the last three seasons (36 of 71)..

“There are lots of different scenarios (that could send him back to the podium as Mello Yello Champion),” said the 36-time pro tour winner, “but if we just go out and win the race, everything else will take care of itself.”

The race in question is the 55th annual Auto Club Finals, the wrap-up to the NHRA’s six-race Countdown to the Championship and an event in which Torrence is the defending champion. He comes in with a narrow 16-point advantage over Brittany Force, but she isn’t the only one trying to spoil what thus far has been another fairy tale season for the cancer and heart attack survivor.

Hard luck veteran Doug Kalitta is just 55 points off the lead and Torrence’s Capco teammate, dad Billy, is only 76 behind. Nevertheless, even though the season finale
pays points-and-a-half, another ploy used by the NHRA to try to keep as many drivers incontention as possible, few would bet against the Texas terror.

“Look, we know from experience what can happen out here,” Torrence said inreference to a 2017 season in which he lost the title on the final day, “but if we executeour game plan, it’ll be hard to beat us. I know these Capco Boys are gonna give me agood race car and my job is to bring it home.”

After making history a year ago by becoming the first driver in playoff history,regardless of category, to sweep all six races in the Countdown, Torrence has beenall-or-nothing this time around, mixing three final round playoff appearances with a pairof uncharacteristic first round losses.

“We get everybody’s best shot,” he admitted, “and we wouldn’t have it any otherway. It’s just a privilege and a blessing to be able to compete at this level with a familyrace team but we know how easy it is to go from hero to zero and vice versa.

“Racin’ with my dad in the playoffs has been unbelievable,” Torrence said. “He’sdone a great job winning two races. I’m really proud of him and I’m proud of this Capcoteam no matter what happens. I wouldn’t trade a single one of our guys for anyoneelse.”

There was a time when Torrence didn’t look forward to either of the NHRA eventsat Auto Club Raceway and especially not the Finals. In his first 10 starts in the seasonfinale, he never advanced beyond the second round and exited in the opening stanzasix times.

However, he followed up last year’s win in the Auto Club finals with a No. 1qualifying effort and a runner-up finish in last February’s season-opening Lucas OilWinternationals.

“Richard Hogan and Bobby Lagana (Jr.) have got a good handle on thingswherever we go,” he said. “I know when I go up there that I’m gonna have shot – andthat’s all you can ask for.”

The Champ at Auto Club Raceway at Pomona:

Last year at the Auto Club NHRA Finals: after qualifying second, Steve beat Cameron Ferre, hisdad Billy Torrence, 2017 champion Brittany Force and eight-time series champ Tony Schumacher tocomplete a sweep of the six races in the Countdown to the Championship.
Last February at the Lucas Oil Winternationals: after qualifying at the top of the order, Steve beatSteve Faria, advanced on a bye in the second round and stopped Mike Salinas before losing to Doug
Kalitta in a final round pedal-fest.Starts/Final Rounds/Wins/No. 1 Qualifier: 21/3/2/2 (11/1/1/0 at the Auto Club Finals)
Steve’s quickest time at Auto Club Raceway at Pomona: 3.657 seconds, Feb. 9, 2019
Steve’s fastest speed at Auto Club Raceway at Pomona: 333.00 mph, Feb. 11, 2018
Steve’s won-lost record at Auto Club Raceway at Pomona: 21-19 (8-10 at the Auto Club Finals)
Steve’s best moment(s) at Auto Club Raceway at Pomona: See “Last year” above; also, in 2016,
Steve qualified No. 1 at the season-opening Winternationals and went on to win the race bybeating Steve Faria, Morgan Lucas, Richie Crampton and Doug Kalitta.
Track records: 3.628 seconds by Clay Millican, Feb. 10, 2018; 333.58 mph by Brittany Force, Nov.10, 2018.

So far, so good…. (A season summary)

DateSiteQualifying position and race detailPoints

Feb. 10Pomona, CA1. Beat Steve Faria, bye, Mike Salinas; lost to Doug Kalitta. 2nd
Feb. 24Phoenix, AZ14. Lost to Antron Brown4th
March 10Gainesville, FL3. Beat Dom Lagana; lost to Doug Kalitta3rd
April 7Las Vegas, NV2. Lost in 2nd Quad3rd
April 14Houston, TX2. Beat Kebin Kinsley, Austin Prock; lost to Antron Brown3rd
April 28Charlotte, NC6. WINNER over Clay Millican (Terry McMillen, Leah Pritchett)1st
May 5Atlanta, GA2. Beat Luigi Novelli, Scott Palmer, Shawn Reed
1st
and Brittany Force
May 19Richmond, VA4. Beat Todd Paton, Scott Palmer, Billy Torrence
1st
and Antron Brown
June 2Chicago, IL3. Beat Terry McMillen, Richie Crampton, Antron Brown
1st
and Mike Salinas
June 9Topeka, KS1. Beat Terry Totten, bye, Antron Brown and Billy Torrence
1st
June 16Bristol, TN3. Beat Pat Dakin, Clay Millican, Don Lagana; lost to Mike Salinas1st
June 23Norwalk, OH5. Beat Jordan Vandergriff, Doug Kalitta, Brittany Force
1st
and Pat Dakin

July 7Epping, NH9. Beat Austin Prock, Terry McMillen, Richie Crampton
1st
and Scott Palmer
July 21Denver, CO1. Bye, beat Richie Crampton, Brittany Force and Clay Millican
1st
July 28Sonoma, CA2. Beat Steve Chrisman, Richie Crampton; lost to Billy Torrence1st
August 4Seattle, WA3. Beat Steve Chrisman, Antron Brown, Shawn Reed; lost to Austin1st
Prock
August 18Brainerd, MN2. Beat Cameron Ferre; lost to Doug Kalitta1st
Sept. 2Indianapolis, IN3. Beat Terry McMillen; lost to Antron Brown1st
For more information, Contact: Dave Densmore - [email protected] / (214) 244-0008

Countdown to the Championship:

Sept. 15Reading, PA8. Lost to Clay Millican3rd
Sept. 29St. Louis, MO5. Beat Scott Palmer, Pat Dakin, Mike Salinas; lost to Billy Torrence2nd
Oct. 14Charlotte, NC1. Beat Lex Joon, Clay Millican, Justin Ashley and Doug Kalitta
1st
Oct. 20Dallas, Texas4. Lost to Shawn Reed.
Nov. 3Las Vegas, NV5. Beat Scott Palmer, Mike Salinas, Doug Kalitta; lost Brittany Force1st

2019 NHRA MELLO YELLO POINTS

TOP FUEL
(After 5 of 6 races in the Countdown to the Championship)

1. Steve Torrence, Kilgore, Texas, Capco Contractors dragster2488
2. Brittany Force, Yorba Linda, Calif., Advance Auto Parts dragster2472
3. Doug Kalitta, Saline, Mich., Mac Tools dragster2433
4. Billy Torrence, Kilgore, Texas, Capco Contractors dragster2402
5. Leah Pritchett, Danville, Ind., Mopar Dodge dragster 2353
6. Austin Prock, Indianapolis, Ind., Montana Brand dragster2330
7. Mike Salinas, San Jose, Calif., Scrappers Racing dragster 2322
8. Antron Brown, Pittsboro, Ind., Matco Tools dragster2279
9. Richie Crampton, Brownsburg, Ind., DHL/Kalitta Air dragster2261
10. Clay Millican, Drummonds, Tenn., Parts Plus dragster2241

2020 NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series

Feb. 960th Lucas Oil NHRA WinternationalsPomona, Calif.
Feb. 2336th Magic Dry NHRA Arizona NationalsPhoenix, Ariz.
March 1551st Amalie Oil NHRA Gatornationals Gainesville, Fla.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back