Top Fuel - Short Field? (1 Viewer)

The Counterfeiter

Nitro Member
Only 15 cars have made runs. Millican and Paton are on the entry list - Millican is probably done - is Paton there? McMillen is not on the entry list, but is now P12. Round one bye for P1?
Too tired to search for the last time this happened - if this occurs, does anyone know when?

OOPS - after looking further, I see Paton will run tomorrow. It's still a bad situation when the 16th car decides to skip two rounds to run "when it counts"!

This is the first race requiring the big tube chassis. With Torco's withdrawl(Millican and Foley) there are only a few other big tube cars out there. Bill Miller, Mike Strasburg, Terry Mcmillian are for sure, Luigi Novelli and Bruce Litton I think are. I didn't think that Todd Paton's was. Anyway expect to see this more often.

This is the first race requiring the big tube chassis. With Torco's withdrawl(Millican and Foley) there are only a few other big tube cars out there. Bill Miller, Mike Strasburg, Terry Mcmillian are for sure, Luigi Novelli and Bruce Litton I think are. I didn't think that Todd Paton's was. Anyway expect to see this more often.

I'm not 100% sure - but I think Bruce has to get the big tube on his car. I spoke with Scott Palmer in Rockingham - he's going to get his done later.

Rumor has it that Mitch King doesn't want to switch his just yet since the car just won back to back IHRA races.

Unfortunately I think we need to get used to short fields. Wait until the Western Swing.

Unfortunately I think we need to get used to short fields. Wait until the Western Swing.

Given the pitiful payouts and the skyrocketing cost of travel, I don't know what the compelling reason to participate is? With the exception of the well funded, big sponsored entries the western swing could be embarrassing...

I can see NHRA's response to the situation if it continues... "NHRA unveils new 8 car Top Fuel format for 2009" ....thats one way of filling the field:D

I can see NHRA's response to the situation if it continues... "NHRA unveils new 8 car Top Fuel format for 2009" ....thats one way of filling the field:D

And the first few words of the of the story would be:

"Based on overwhelming demand for a quicker raceday program..."

Buried deep in the story would also be:

"Because of the added value of a shorter race day, spectator entry fees will be increasing to..."

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I think if you see short fields for a couple of races, the low buck Independents will start going to more races seeing as it won't take but a 4.80-.90 to get in if thats the case.

aren't there payouts for 17,18 & 19 qual. positions?
maybe some consolation for independents who don't have
to haul too far?

aren't there payouts for 17,18 & 19 qual. positions?
maybe some consolation for independents who don't have
to haul too far?

Mike, I was told that all Fuel cars who make at least one qualifying pass get $3,000. But that was a couple of years ago, As for what 17-18 get who knows?:rolleyes:

I think if you see short fields for a couple of races, the low buck Independents will start going to more races seeing as it won't take but a 4.80-.90 to get in if thats the case.

As said above, a lot of the budget guys don't have the dollars to update their chassis to the NHRA's new specs. I don't think you'll see many of them in the NHRA until the big boys start selling their cars to them in a year or so. Just another case of NHRA making rules with no regards to their effects.

17th and 18th pay $3000. You can make 4 qualifing passes, end up 19th and get $00.00. The days of tow money are looong gone.

As said above, a lot of the budget guys don't have the dollars to update their chassis to the NHRA's new specs. I don't think you'll see many of them in the NHRA until the big boys start selling their cars to them in a year or so. Just another case of NHRA making rules with no regards to their effects.

Good point. Otherwise you could expect a few A/FD teams to move up and fill in the blanks.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back