Top Fuel Harleys at Bristol (1 Viewer)

I was at HRP when McBride made the first ever pass in the 5's. It took my breath away! I don't think the front wheel hit the racing surface until past 1100 feet. If I remember right, he dedicated the pass to the memory of Elmer. Also, if I remember right, Elmer's daughter was Larry's tuner at the time.

Bob,

Steve Mcbride was Larry's tuner. Elmer's daughter Gina use to help out with Tony Lang.

Since we're talking about bikes...

I thought I'd share pics of this awesome super twin, based on a KTM, running in the UEM supertwin championship in Europe...

P1010020.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

P1010018.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

P1010017.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I was told by the owner that it produces around a 1000hp... pretty darn impressive. I have written down somewhere, probably on the docks of Australia now incrementals and all the tech given to me in a talk, this bike will be very quick once sorted....

And my dreams of riding a fuel bike will be just that... dreams!

P1010208.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Make it a little smaller... lol

Last edited:
Since we're talking about bikes...

I thought I'd share pics of this awesome super twin, based on a KTM, running in the UEM supertwin championship in Europe...

P1010020.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

P1010018.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

P1010017.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I was told by the owner that it produces around a 1000hp... pretty darn impressive. I have written down somewhere, probably on the docks of Australia now incrementals and all the tech given to me in a talk, this bike will be very quick once sorted....

And my dreams of riding a fuel bike will be just that... dreams!

P1010208.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Make it a little smaller... lol

1000 hp is a stout claim. Post the numbers if you find them. It's certainly a nice piece. Who get's hit in the chest?

1000 hp is a stout claim. Post the numbers if you find them. It's certainly a nice piece. Who get's hit in the chest?

It has a blower, so if it worked it might be close to 1000. Problem is, no one has ever been able to make a blown V twin with a common crank pin, work better than an unblown one, due to all the "dead time" in the motor.

Jay

It has a blower, so if it worked it might be close to 1000. Problem is, no one has ever been able to make a blown V twin with a common crank pin, work better than an unblown one, due to all the "dead time" in the motor.

Jay
Potata potata..hehe

Great conversation..I'd love to see nitro bikes run regular. It would get figured out.

Oh dear,

Dude 'rice rocket'? racism is not cool dude.

Man shame you never probably saw Elmer Trett's bike go down the strip at night... or caught Larry Mcbride and Jim Brantley running 5's or Roel Koedams bike run low 6.0's, or the awesome piece that is Jay Upton's fuel bike...

Man get a clue!!!!
I'm not sure if you can class Jay's bike as a 'rice rocket'. Isn't the motor based on a Triumph, and the new design of heads a Honda?:D

I thought that slow motion footage of the one bike with the bars turned all the way to lock for most of the pass was badass! I couldn't believe he set the front wheel down with the tire still pointing sideways. :eek: I thought for sure we were goint to witness a wreck!

I love watching the fuel bikes. I'm no fan of V-twins but watching those things go down the track is something else. I was lucky to see them run at Cordova a few times when the IHRA Summernations were there and it was always exciting to watch. One year Doug Vancil set the ET record there. Another moment I'll never forget is watching one bike leaned over so hard to the right that he was dragging the pipes from about 500ft all the way through the lights. :D

Oh dear,

Dude 'rice rocket'? racism is not cool dude.

Man shame you never probably saw Elmer Trett's bike go down the strip at night... or caught Larry Mcbride and Jim Brantley running 5's or Roel Koedams bike run low 6.0's, or the awesome piece that is Jay Upton's fuel bike...

Man get a clue!!!!

How is calling a japanese bike "rice rocket" racist? There was a thread in the lounge titled "ricers get owned." By your logic, that is racist too. :rolleyes:

And I like Harleys because they sound like a bike should sound.

Dalton... More like 800 hp. The 5.80 sec blown fours are about 1200.

When the front wheel is up they steer by pushing on the rear foot pegs. There used to be a great article on one of the bike sites, about how this was done.

Jay

The articles Jay refers to are on Strip Bike: Gary Larsen's StripBike.com The biggest "dragbike" site. Most content, best focus, original interviews.

Riding a Big Tire Bike by Puppet: Gary Larsen's StripBike.com The Motorcycle Racing website. Puppet's Chassis Article.
and
Puppet's Chassis Design: Gary Larsen's StripBike.com The Motorcycle Racing website. Puppet's Chassis Article.
this article has 10 pages:eek:, never fear though, fast reading.:D

Oops!
didn't mean to plug something I should have, it's just good info.

DB and JK's are good places too.

One year at Norwalk when IHRA ran the fuel Harleys, the anouncer said Ladies and Gentlemen,golf requires one ball, baseball requires one ball,bowling requires one ball, but this next class rquires two--------TOP FUEL HARLEY.:)

Dalton... More like 800 hp. The 5.80 sec blown fours are about 1200.

When the front wheel is up they steer by pushing on the rear foot pegs. There used to be a great article on one of the bike sites, about how this was done.

Jay
No - it is definitely 1800 - that sounds way cooler! :D
Just kidding. I either just heard wrong, and he told me that seeing I was just a goober that didn't know any different.

DLB

One year at Norwalk when IHRA ran the fuel Harleys, the anouncer said Ladies and Gentlemen,golf requires one ball, baseball requires one ball,bowling requires one ball, but this next class rquires two--------TOP FUEL HARLEY.:)

The nitro harley in the IHRA was awesome. Lots of good racing, I believe that they were in the 6.2x at 22x during their final year. They were really a fan favorite, probably only behind Top Fuel and Pro Mod. Unfortuneately, in the NHRA, like Pro Mod, they are nothing but a time filling exhibition class with even less to race for. I don't know why the IHRA has not been able to come up for a sponsor to bring them back, unless they are sitting back and trying to get the class to bring in its own sponsor, like they tried with the alky funnies.:mad:

Jay

Anders "Charlie" Carling's V-Twin is blown, but you are right, I think the naturally aspirated versions are still quicker.

That thing did run some killer mph when I did see it run in Australia though.

Anders "Charlie" Carling's V-Twin is blown, but you are right, I think the naturally aspirated versions are still quicker.

That thing did run some killer mph when I did see it run in Australia though.

Were you at the meet Paul? That was my first and only visit to the wonderful 'Calder Park' spent all weekend near the startline. I remember that bike of Karlings blew me away, especially the sound of it just cackling and whistling away, and boy did it move your insides on the burnout and launch. I'm looking forward to seeing his new bike.

Were you at the meet Paul? That was my first and only visit to the wonderful 'Calder Park' spent all weekend near the startline. I remember that bike of Karlings blew me away, especially the sound of it just cackling and whistling away, and boy did it move your insides on the burnout and launch. I'm looking forward to seeing his new bike.

Sure was mate!

I was on the start line doing some media work for ANDRA and got a from behind video of Bill Furr breaking his right handlebar and still keeping it pegged for the rest of the run.

I remember seeing them tow the thing back around the startline with the bar just dangling by the cables.

Biggest set of cajones on ANY MAN I have come across!!

Sure was mate!

I was on the start line doing some media work for ANDRA and got a from behind video of Bill Furr breaking his right handlebar and still keeping it pegged for the rest of the run.

I remember seeing them tow the thing back around the startline with the bar just dangling by the cables.

Biggest set of cajones on ANY MAN I have come across!!

So I was probably around you all weekend then! That pass was something I kind of wish I was on the side of the fence for that one to catch good footage of it, there was a rider recently in Europe who's bars broke and he grabbed on to the forks and kept in it... one word NUTS

Remember those stickers that surfaced that weekend :rolleyes:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back