'tis the night before Christmas in a shelter near you..... (1 Viewer)

ProStockJunkie

Nitro Member
'Tis the night before Christmas and all through the town,
every shelter is full - we are lost but not found,
Our numbers are hung on our kennels so bare,
we hope every minute that someone will care,

They'll come to adopt us and give us the call,
"Come here, Max and Sparkie - come fetch your new ball!!
But now we sit here and think of the days..
we were treated so fondly - we had cute, baby ways,

Once we were little, then we grew and we grew -
now we're no longer young and we're no longer new.
So out the back door we were thrown like the trash,
they reacted so quickly - why were they so rash?

We "jump on the children:, "don't come when they call",
we "bark when they leave us", climb over the wall.
We should have been neutered, we should have been spayed,
now we suffer the consequence of the errors THEY made.

If only they'd trained us, if only we knew...
we'd have done what they asked us and worshiped them, too.
We were left in the backyard, or worse -let to roam-
now we're tired and lonely and out of a home.

They dropped us off here and they kissed us good-bye...
"Maybe someone else will give you a try."
So now here we are, all confused and alone...
in a shelter with others who long for a home.

The kind workers come through with a meal and a pat,
with so many to care for, they can't stay to chat,
They move to the next kennel, giving each of us cheer...
we know that they wonder how long we'll be here.

We lay down to sleep and sweet dreams fill our heads..
of a home filled with love and our own cozy beds.
Then we wake to see sad eyes, brimming with tears --
our friends filled with emptiness, worry, and fear.

If you can't adopt us and there's no room at the Inn --
could you help with the bills and fill our food bin?
We count on your kindness each day of the year --
can you give more than hope to everyone here?

Please make a donation to pay for the heat...
and help get us something special to eat.
The shelter that cares for us wants us to live,
and more of us will, if more people will give.

A Forgotten Dog's Christmas

Twas the night before Christmas and all through the house
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse

The stockings were hung by the chimney with care
In hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there.

The children were nestled all snug in their beds
With no thought of the dog filling their head.

And ma in her kerchief, and I in my cap,
Knew he was cold but didn't care about that.

When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from the bed to see what was the matter.

Away to the window I flew like a flash,
Figuring he was free of his chain and into the trash.

The moon on the breast of the new fallen snow
Gave the luster of mid-day to objects below.

When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,
But Santa Claus - and his eyes full of tears.

He unchained the dog once so lively and quick,
Last years Christmas present, now painfully thin and sick.

More rapid than eagles he called the dogs name.
And the dog ran to him, despite all his pain.

"Now DASHER!
Now DANCER!
Now PRANCER and VIXEN!!
On COMET!
On CUPID!
On DONER and BLITZEN!!

To the top of the porch! To the top of the wall!
Let's find this dog a home where he's loved by all"

I knew in an instant there would be no gifts this year
For Santa Claus had made one thing quite clear ...

The gift of a dog is not just for a season.
We had gotten the pup for all the wrong reasons.

In our haste to think of the kids a gift
There was one important thing that we missed.

A dog should be family and cared for the same.
You don't give a gift then put it on a chain.

And I heard him exclaim as he rode out of sight,
"You weren't given a gift! You were given a life!"

~ Author Unknown ~

Today we celebrated one month of having adopted cat number 5 from our local Humane Society through Petsmart. 2 1/2 years after losing my best friend Hot Rod (see my avatar) and missing him every day, I was given a gift, by luck, chance, or devine intervention, when I just happened to drop by Petsmart that afternoon. This little 5 pound ball of fur curled up in my lap has filled an awfully big hole. Thank you, Danville Area Humane Society.

Murdock.

I'm headed to the SPCA tomorrow (actually later today) to see about adopting our second dog.

It will be hard because I will want to bring them ALL home with me. :(

I'm headed to the SPCA tomorrow (actually later today) to see about adopting our second dog.

It will be hard because I will want to bring them ALL home with me. :(

Thank you, thank you, thank you to all of you who have rehomed loving pets and given them a 2nd chance at life.

At one time or another since buying our first Old English Sheepdog, I adopted two others, a doberman and while not gotten through a shelter, my current 14 year old Black Lab, Mato (mah-TOE).

I've always had an OES in my house since I've lived there. When my last one died a couple of years ago, I put off adopting another because at that time, I still had hope of having my other hip replaced, and I was thinking about the cost of kenneling two dogs for the amount of time necessary. And, since Mato has gotten older, I can't leave the room without him crying, so kenneling him for a month is out of the question. He's 14 (found him on Lower Brule Indian Reservation in SD, about 4 weeks old, abandoned, abused, neglected, starved and thrown from a car. Brought him home to find a home for him.... :)

And now, December 28 will be my last day of work for Mars, as I am being forced to 'retire' as part of the reorg of the company. My job is being outsourced. I'm 62 and handicapped, with little hope of finding another job.
So, while I willl be free to adopt another dog once Mato goes over the Rainbow Bridge, I will not be able to afford any pets once I am out of work, nor able to have hip surgery because I will not be able to afford health insurance. It's breaking my heart because through all of the hard places in my life, my dog(s) have always been there for me

So maybe there is someone out there who hadn't been considering adopting a shelter dog, who would consider doing so, for me. Give another love and affection giving creature a chance share your home and make you smile and love you unconditionally. Bringing a pet into your home is a lifetime commitment to that animal. But one you will benefit from immensely.

Thanks to all who have done so and who will continue to do so. May God Bless you

Since I will no longer be on line after December 28, here is my contact information for anyone who cares to stay in touch.

Jackee Allen
973-584-8817 home
973-534-3919 cell

One of these phones will likely go, but as of now, I haven't decided which,

Here's the little guy I came home with - His name WAS CJ, it's getting changed. He doesn't even answer to it. DH calls him "Skinny"...but I'm not so keen on that! I want either Champ, Sparky (short for Spark plug) or Stewie...He was a 2 time loser with the SPCA..hopefully 3rd times a charm :p

100_3311.jpg

Thank you, thank you, thank you to all of you who have rehomed loving pets and given them a 2nd chance at life.

At one time or another since buying our first Old English Sheepdog, I adopted two others, a doberman and while not gotten through a shelter, my current 14 year old Black Lab, Mato (mah-TOE).

I've always had an OES in my house since I've lived there. When my last one died a couple of years ago, I put off adopting another because at that time, I still had hope of having my other hip replaced, and I was thinking about the cost of kenneling two dogs for the amount of time necessary. And, since Mato has gotten older, I can't leave the room without him crying, so kenneling him for a month is out of the question. He's 14 (found him on Lower Brule Indian Reservation in SD, about 4 weeks old, abandoned, abused, neglected, starved and thrown from a car. Brought him home to find a home for him.... :)

And now, December 28 will be my last day of work for Mars, as I am being forced to 'retire' as part of the reorg of the company. My job is being outsourced. I'm 62 and handicapped, with little hope of finding another job.
So, while I willl be free to adopt another dog once Mato goes over the Rainbow Bridge, I will not be able to afford any pets once I am out of work, nor able to have hip surgery because I will not be able to afford health insurance. It's breaking my heart because through all of the hard places in my life, my dog(s) have always been there for me

So maybe there is someone out there who hadn't been considering adopting a shelter dog, who would consider doing so, for me. Give another love and affection giving creature a chance share your home and make you smile and love you unconditionally. Bringing a pet into your home is a lifetime commitment to that animal. But one you will benefit from immensely.

Thanks to all who have done so and who will continue to do so. May God Bless you

Since I will no longer be on line after December 28, here is my contact information for anyone who cares to stay in touch.

Jackee Allen
973-584-8817 home
973-534-3919 cell

One of these phones will likely go, but as of now, I haven't decided which,
Jackee, there is just something wrong about what you are faced with.

As I've said before in a personal note..my thoughts are with you this Holiday season..and if there is anything the Mater group can do to help (besides your dog)..please don't hesiutate to ask.

Peace Jackee

Here's the little guy I came home with - His name WAS CJ, it's getting changed. He doesn't even answer to it. DH calls him "Skinny"...but I'm not so keen on that! I want either Champ, Sparky (short for Spark plug) or Stewie...He was a 2 time loser with the SPCA..hopefully 3rd times a charm

100_3311.jpg

Awwwwh... ain't he cute? I don't know... Stewie is adorable for a name, but seeing that he's at least part, if no all, a Jack.... Sparky might be appropriate. Zero to 60 in a second with Jack Russells.....at least most of them. (How about Nitro, although that's pretty common among racer's dogs.) I think I like Stewie. :D
My very best wishes for you and your new family member Cheryl. Make the 3rd time a charm . He's probably going to require a lot of exercise if he's a typical Jack. A friend of mine has two but they're pretty mellow.

Don't know if you watch the Dog Whisperer on National Geographic Channel, but this guy... Cesar Millan, has got dogs figured out for sure. His motto is "I rehabilitate dogs. I train humans". After watching his show for only short amount of time, I came to realize that all of the issues I've ever had with Mato, were me. I actually apologized to him when I realized this. I didn't assume the role of pack leader in our little pack. So he was forced to assume the role and that led to some behavior problems (and lots of yelling. ) It never did a thing! ;) Poor guy musta thought his name was 'you little b*****d' for a long time. ;)

Thanks SO much for posting his picture, whatever you call the little guy! Keep him safe and happy and you'll never regret this day.

Jackee, there is just something wrong about what you are faced with.

As I've said before in a personal note..my thoughts are with you this Holiday season..and if there is anything the Mater group can do to help (besides your dog)..please don't hesiutate to ask.

Peace Jackee

Thanks David. What I need most is your prayers. I'm having a lot of difficulty with this situation, not only for the obvious...the financial doom that awaits, but because of how the work situation has been handled and how I've been treated by 3 people in my own department.

I don't want to derail my own thread, or Cheryl's great news, so maybe I'll post the situation somewhere else.

Awwwwh... ain't he cute? I don't know... Stewie is adorable for a name, but seeing that he's at least part, if no all, a Jack.... Sparky might be appropriate. Zero to 60 in a second with Jack Russells.....at least most of them. (How about Nitro, although that's pretty common among racer's dogs.) I think I like Stewie. :D
My very best wishes for you and your new family member Cheryl. Make the 3rd time a charm . He's probably going to require a lot of exercise if he's a typical Jack. A friend of mine has two but they're pretty mellow.

Don't know if you watch the Dog Whisperer on National Geographic Channel, but this guy... Cesar Millan, has got dogs figured out for sure. His motto is "I rehabilitate dogs. I train humans". After watching his show for only short amount of time, I came to realize that all of the issues I've ever had with Mato, were me. I actually apologized to him when I realized this. I didn't assume the role of pack leader in our little pack. So he was forced to assume the role and that led to some behavior problems (and lots of yelling. ) It never did a thing! ;) Poor guy musta thought his name was 'you little b*****d' for a long time. ;)

Thanks SO much for posting his picture, whatever you call the little guy! Keep him safe and happy and you'll never regret this day.

The SPCA says he's a Rat Terrier - no mention of Jack Russell but he is lightning quick...I have a tough road ahead but we will make it work (he peed/pooped in his crate during the day). He literally eats his food, and within 45 seconds is outside pooping :D so I have to be very quick...

If there is anything I can do for you Jackee - please let me know.

Cheryl

,, I will not be able to afford any pets once I am out of work, nor able to have hip surgery because I will not be able to afford health insurance. ,

I don't want to get too nosey, but with all you're dealing with it seems like you can't afford NOT to have a dog.

Also, I don't want to speak for all the 'maters but WE can't afford NOT to have you posting here in the lounge and the politics room.

Ted....you speak volumes!

Jackee, please, please let me know if you ever need anything....no matter how big or small!

Most of y'all here don't even have a clue what a wonderful, supportive and caring lady Jackee is......I am blessed to have her care about ME with everything SHE has to deal with. Faith.....pure and simple! She 'gets it'!

Update on the pooch...

He officially has a name: Eddie
So his nickname is the Big Ed, Eduardo, Eddie Haskell you little rascal!

He is doing well adjusting to his new home..he's a keeper!

Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas, happy holiday, etc....

Update on the pooch...

He officially has a name: Eddie
So his nickname is the Big Ed, Eduardo, Eddie Haskell you little rascal!

He is doing well adjusting to his new home..he's a keeper!

Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas, happy holiday, etc....

Great name Cheryl. I'm so happy he's working out and has a forever home. I know you and your family will have a great Christmas with your new fur baby.

I've been busy trying to find a home for an 8 year old casualty of divorce, named Rider. He's as cute as a mutt can be. I'm hoping we can find home for him so he doesn't have to go to a shelter.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back