Time to revisit sound barriers (1 Viewer)

rocketman

Nitro Member
With tracks harder to build and people objecting to building just about anything these days with the "not in my backyard" mentality, NHRA really needs to work on developing noise barriers. We have so many composit materials these days that I'm sure something can be developed inexpensively that could double for advertising space.

This will also protect existing tracks and send a signal that something is being done. We're better off to be proactive then to have to continue to lose tracks or reduce operations etc.

I've been saying this for years and quieting the cars is not the answer and doesn't work anyway, because you can never quiet them enough for some of these pricks.

It's time to get this moving.

With tracks harder to build and people objecting to building just about anything these days with the "not in my backyard" mentality, NHRA really needs to work on developing noise barriers. We have so many composit materials these days that I'm sure something can be developed inexpensively that could double for advertising space.

This will also protect existing tracks and send a signal that something is being done. We're better off to be proactive then to have to continue to lose tracks or reduce operations etc.

I've been saying this for years and quieting the cars is not the answer and doesn't work anyway, because you can never quiet them enough for some of these pricks.

It's time to get this moving.

This would be mostly a waste of time and money. The experience of most tracks is that the people opposed really only use noise as a talking point. The real reason is most always they perceive location near a functioning track as a drag on their property values. Noise level has nothing to do with the opposition. In particular when unrealistic noise level ordinances are passed (by scientifically illiterate politicians) it really doesn't stop the complaints. Noise level legislation limiting the volume to 55 db, which is like a soft whisper, have failed to eliminate the complaints in various locations around the country. The only solution acceptable to these people is elimination of the facility.

The only effective deterrent is showing the community the economic value of the facility. If this is not done and the surrounding area becomes built up with residential housing it is only a matter of time before the facility comes under unrelenting attack.

This is not idle speculation as I have witnessed this in my area for the last 30 or so years. Finally the local track, both roundy round and drag, closed when the land became so valuable it made no economic sense to operate a track on the location. There were about 10 separate "settlements" with the local residents over the years but the bitching never ended.

When your on Arrow Hwy at Pomona during a Fuel session, you wouldn't know those 30ft. sound walls were even there.

"Noise level has nothing to do with the opposition."
WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN SMOKING THIS MORNING, RON?

Real Estate and leases have been an issue at some tracks such as OCIR but you can't tell me that the noise doesn't bother some people living around a track. That's just nuts to think that the noise doesn't truly bother some people because it does. Yes it's a convieinient excuse but I don't see a lot of golf courses shut down for control of the property. :rolleyes:

Joe, that's why we need some R and D. I agree that a brick wall isn't the answer and why I mention composit materials. There are a lot of brillient minds in drag racing that could come up with an innovative solutuion.

Rich Bailey
www.capracing.com

"Noise level has nothing to do with the opposition."
WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN SMOKING THIS MORNING, RON?

Real Estate and leases have been an issue at some tracks such as OCIR but you can't tell me that the noise doesn't bother some people living around a track. That's just nuts to think that the noise doesn't truly bother some people because it does. Yes it's a convieinient excuse but I don't see a lot of golf courses shut down for control of the property. :rolleyes:

It may bother them but eliminating it will not stop the push to close the tracks.

BTW golf courses are closed all the time because the land value is better realized by other uses. Check out the Washington D.C. metro area or Myrtle Beach S.C. if you want to see golf courses becoming shopping centers, industrial parks and housing developments.

When your on Arrow Hwy at Pomona during a Fuel session, you wouldn't know those 30ft. sound walls were even there.
I have been at El Merendero during a nostalgia fuel session. It is earthshaking!

There was another time for the winters where I was stuck in traffic on fairplex drive next to the golf course. 1st session of F/C ran, and it really wasn't loud at all. It sounds totally different when the header pipes point away from you.

BTW, I hate it when people develop residential land next to a race track and then complain about noise/traffic:mad:

I got to agree with Ron, the noise issue is the easiest to point out. If the cars were whisper quiet, it would be the traffic, no traffic? It would be the pollution. OCIR was between two freeways, next to a Marine Corps air station and surrounded by orange groves. It never had a chance; neither did the orange groves. The Marines could not hold that ground. While I don't think that noise barriers are a bad idea, sort of a good neighbor gesture. I don't think it will stop the attacks on race tracks by people that are near them. Some will understand, and like Rich said, some are just pricks..

A jr dragster race at Pomona was canceled one weekend and the same people still called and complained. Its a race track and people just dont want one in their neighborhood.

A jr dragster race at Pomona was canceled one weekend and the same people still called and complained. Its a race track and people just dont want one in their neighborhood.

There ya go. That's it. It 's the NIMBY folks.

As far as noise barriers go, one place to study the issue is at a major international airport. The ones at our intl airport are curved and multiplaned to direct the noise upwards, rather than simply trying to block it. I'll try and get pictures of the ones I'm talking about and post them by tomorrow evening.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back