Third nhra finals title on treble's hit list (1 Viewer)

[coverattach=1]LAS VEGAS (Nov. 11, 2008) – Pro Stock Motorcycle rider Craig Treble will attempt to wind up the 2008 NHRA POWERade Drag Racing Series season by taking the Schumacher Electric/Albrecht’s Fast Track Suzuki to his third victory at the NHRA Finals at historic Pomona (Calif.) Raceway. He's won there in 2003 and 2006, and was low qualifier in 2003.

He joined Don Schumacher Racing prior to the U.S. Nationals this year, where he clinched a spot for the Countdown to 1 playoffs. Three first-round defeats during the first four PSM playoff races dashed his chances of winning the championship, but he’s still hoping for a place in the top five with a strong effort in Pomona. He is No. 8 in the rankings, 61 markers behind Andrew Hines in fifth place, and has a mathematically feasible chance of surpassing Angelle Sampey in fourth, who is 76 points ahead.

“I’d like to get the Schumacher Electric/Albrecht’s Fast Track Suzuki into the top five,” said Treble. “I’d love to do that. It’s just a matter of going rounds in Pomona. I don’t know how many I have to go, but I’d like to go four. I haven’t been looking at the points that hard; I’ve just been out here trying to get round wins.

“The track at Pomona runs downhill, so you run a little faster there,” he added. “It’s a historic facility and it’s pretty cool as you’re racing down it. The West Coast has a different kind of fan base. They're knowledgeable about the sport and that makes it even more fun to put on a show for them.”

Treble has stayed sharp during the Countdown to 1 playoffs by racing his own Suzuki Hayabusa on the divisional level in the Sportsman Motorcycle class. Recent victories in Shreveport, La., and Nobile, Okla., coupled with a second-round finish at the divisional race in Las Vegas last weekend helped Treble secure the NHRA Division 4 championship in the class. It was the third divisional championship of his career.

“I went bracket racing over the weekend and it didn’t go too well. I got beat in the second round at the divisional race in Vegas,” Treble said. “But I did earn enough points to clinch the divisional championship in Sportsman Motorcycle.”

Treble may not be caught in the pressure cooker of a tight points chase for the national title but he wishes he was. “Matt Smith and Eddie Krawiec (Nos. 2 and 3 in points) are the one’s sweating it right now. I guarantee you they’re tossing and turning at night, and I envy them.

“I love racing in Pomona,” he said. “It’s one of the few tracks where we return from our run in front of the fans and that’s kind of cool. I remember being a fan in the stands there and watching the Pro Stock Bikes go by and thinking how cool it was. Now I get to be one of them.”

CRAIG TREBLE QUICK FACTS:
* No. 8 in the Countdown to 1 playoffs point standings entering fifth of five events, 194 markers out of first place, 61 out of the top five, 76 short of fourth place
* No. 9 in "regular" season points. Clinched a spot in the top 10 for the Countdown to 1 at the U.S. Nationals in Indy
* Won the NHRA Finals in 2006 (Tom Bradford) and 2003 (Angelle Sampey), runner-up 1999 (Antron Brown)
* Qualified No. 1 at NHRA Finals in 2003
* Qualified No. 9 at last year's NHRA Finals, lost in the first round
* Reached three final rounds in 2008, won in Memphis (Eddie Krawiec), runner-up in Chicago (Chris Rivas) and Norwalk (Hector Arana)
* Finished 2007 season No. 6 in points, two wins in three finals
* Won the U.S. Nationals in 2007
* Has finished in the top 10 in the point standings 10 straight seasons
* Best career finish is No. 2 in 2002 with four wins in six finals and three No. 1 qualifiers
* Appeared in four finals in 2003, won two races
* Appeared in four finals in 2004, won one race
* First No. 1 qualifier in Sonoma 2002
* Has won career-best 12 races in 26 final rounds
* First career PSM victory was Brainerd, Minn., 1999
* Qualified for eight straight Ringer Gloves Pro Stock Bike Battle bonus races (1999-2007), won in 2002.
* Two-time Reaction Time Challenge winner (2000-01)
* Age 43 (Sept. 1965), born in Valparaiso, Ind., now lives in New Orleans, La.
* Joined Don Schumacher Racing in 2008, prior to the U.S. Nationals

WEEKEND SCHEDULE:
THURSDAY, Nov. 13 – PROFESSIONAL QUALIFYING SESSION at 1:30 p.m.
FRIDAY, Nov. 14 – PROFESSIONAL QUALIFYING SESSION at 1:30 p.m.
SATURDAY, Nov. 15 – PROFESSIONAL QUALIFYING SESSIONS at 11 a.m. and 2:30 p.m.
SUNDAY, Nov. 16 – Pre-race ceremonies begin at 10 a.m.
FINAL ELIMINATIONS begin at 11 a.m.

Attachments

• Craig_Treble.jpg
    Craig_Treble.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 139
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back