The people you meet .... (1 Viewer)

vegasnitro

Nitro Member
So I was working in Omaha this week and the data cable/telephone system vendor at the hotel was Division 5 Super Comp Racer (#5760) Jim Gottsch. I overheard him talking about getting ready for his next race (2 weeks in Great Bend, Kansas) and then we talked racing the rest of the week. He runs a big block Chrysler wedge combination, 588 cu in. He is a real cool guy, so if you need any Cat5 cable ran in the Omaha/Iowa/Rapid City/Kansas area, support a fellow racer!

Very cool. It's always fun running into racers away from the track, especially the guys with the long cars.

I've had a few drag racing small world experiences. Used to get to have lunch with Frank, Tony, and Carmen Pisano when I ran to the west coast and back in the early 90s. Got to watch Dick Lahaie's grandson while Jeff was going for his super comp license at 131 when I lived in Grand Rapids.

Met Jim Barillaro at a Dairy Queen in the middle of nowhere on I-40 in TN. We're watching pre-inauguration ceremonies on TV and start chatting out of the blue. We get around to asking what each other did. He says "I build and restore something called funny cars." :D He was in the process of moving his stuff to a shop that was less than 10 miles from where I grew up.

My current loads of cabinets often have stops where I'll end a day less than two miles from friends' houses who are building nostalgia funny cars and one who's building an IHRA nitro funny car.

A year or so ago, I was having lunch for the first time with one of those friends in CT. I was telling him about how, a week earlier, I'd unhooked from my trailer and was bobtailing to an ice cream place. I passed where I was going because the entrance was too small and turned around in a parking lot to go back. It turns out that where I turned around was the parking lot for his real estate office! What are the odds of THAT???

So I was working in Omaha this week and the data cable/telephone system vendor at the hotel was Division 5 Super Comp Racer (#5760) Jim Gottsch. I overheard him talking about getting ready for his next race (2 weeks in Great Bend, Kansas) and then we talked racing the rest of the week. He runs a big block Chrysler wedge combination, 588 cu in. He is a real cool guy, so if you need any Cat5 cable ran in the Omaha/Iowa/Rapid City/Kansas area, support a fellow racer!

Jim is certainly a great guy and racer. He's helped us out on some Mopar parts in a pinch.

One summer I worked in telemarketing (will never do that again) selling fishing lures and golf clubs and one of the names that came up on the computer screen was Brad Tuttle. I don't know if it's the same one that drove the Nitro Bandit but it was a California number so who knows it could have been, he wasn't home.

One day when I first became a courier, I had a delivery for a residence on Nome Street in Aurora, Colorado. The name on the package looked really familure to me, so I walked up to the door and there was Brian Raymer, Former Top Alcohol Dragster Driver in D-5! We talked for a while and I even had coffee with him. He signed the signature record, and when I got back, I made a copy of it, and put his signature in my Truck.... It's still in that truck btw!

Uh..nope..didn't notice the smiley... No worries Ron... i don't need to send the lawyers out yet..we've jacked Chris' Thread enough... Sorry Chris!

So, Chris' lawyer may need to speak with our lawyers? I think our lawyers would still have to work independently or, they might be accused of conflict of interest since they'd also be working on our cases against each other. :D

So, Chris' lawyer may need to speak with our lawyers? I think our lawyers would still have to work independently or, they might be accused of conflict of interest since they'd also be working on our cases against each other. :D

Funny...when I was at DIA one day, I met one of the Attorney's who works for NHRA....He sounded just as confused as this thread....!!:D

I've had a few drag racing small world experiences. Used to get to have lunch with Frank, Tony, and Carmen Pisano when I ran to the west coast and back in the early 90s. Got to watch Dick Lahaie's grandson while Jeff was going for his super comp license at 131 when I lived in Grand Rapids.

Met Jim Barillaro at a Dairy Queen in the middle of nowhere on I-40 in TN. We're watching pre-inauguration ceremonies on TV and start chatting out of the blue. We get around to asking what each other did. He says "I build and restore something called funny cars." :D He was in the process of moving his stuff to a shop that was less than 10 miles from where I grew up.

My current loads of cabinets often have stops where I'll end a day less than two miles from friends' houses who are building nostalgia funny cars and one who's building an IHRA nitro funny car.

A year or so ago, I was having lunch for the first time with one of those friends in CT. I was telling him about how, a week earlier, I'd unhooked from my trailer and was bobtailing to an ice cream place. I passed where I was going because the entrance was too small and turned around in a parking lot to go back. It turns out that where I turned around was the parking lot for his real estate office! What are the odds of THAT???

Ron,
When you drop your trailer+ we meet for dinner next time thru, I'll give you some good Jim Barrillaro stories-i worked for him for a few years. ;)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back