The National Event Wild Card Idea (1 Viewer)

I have been of a similar mind to Rich on this one. It would make sense to me were the NHRA to host a Top Fuel Nationals East and another West. Another pair would be the Funny Car Nationals West and East. Pro Stock and Pro Stock Motorcycles would be added to one or the other. One of the races would also feature Pro Mod and the other Top Fuel Motorcycles. Rather than just add these races, I'd drop the second event at tracks that currently have them. Entrants could choose either East or West, but not both.
Fill the Top Fuel fields if possible, but allow TAD to run to qualify to fill out the card. The Funny cars at the Top Fuel race would be TAFC; the dragsters at the Funny Car races would be TADs.
I would hope that this would do two things in addition to those mentioned positively above: 1) Highlight the Pro classes at less expense to the host tracks as they would not be paying four professional classes and 2) open opportunities for the lesser funded teams to qualify for a shot at the limelight.
Rich has started an interesting discussion here. I believe it's worth exploring the possibilities in order to improve our sport's prospects for growth.
Ed

Some very interesting ideas here. But to be clear, you are letting TAD run in TF?? I see the EAST-WEST thing, and would make INDY a meeting
of the Two. (Makes INDY special again.)

Last edited:
still think that the tour is in place and fans are accustomed to their annual nhra date/s....too many dates?, possibly.
ihra and other series have their races in place too trying to attract fan$; IMO nhra would do more harm than good to
'upset the apple cart' too much. I am hopeful they are able to replace the seattle event in the northwest if they do in fact lose it.

I still believe there is opportunity for a 2 day race, saturday evening elims., and the longshot would be racing to 1320' at select tracks.
IMO nhra has lost a lot of fan base by what has been taken away and not by what has been added, although new england
was an obvious and needed addition to the schedule; it doesn't take a 'bellagio' facility to host a great race.

1320' racing, long smoky burnouts, nitro cackle, throttle wacks and backing car out from under awning for warmup
when such a ridiculous amount of fuel wasn't flowing are five obvious
factors that have changed in just the last 6 -10 years, all were significant parts of the nhra entertainment experience,
to say that they were not is foolish, and to spin the sport today as if these factors were never relevant is ludicrous.
factors like these are what fans still talk about and miss, and inevitably some have now stopped attending.

back in the 80's some national events had 8 cars but most had 16. The Cajun Nationals was an 8 car field and there were one or two others. Perhaps the other was the Canada race. If there was some modern day push back by JFR or DSR you could do what they do now and have selected classes. But I think a wild card event would be good for the sport.

Didn't TF/FC's also run Div. races in the 70-80's as well?

This is something that would be beneficial to NHRA in keeping its member tracks while putting an end to the stale Mello Yello series that everyone complains about. Lets say Pacific Raceway is gone. Why not have that date be a rotating race each year in some new market? Make it a full points race, and an 8 car field in every pro class just like they did at some selected events back in the day? This way some secondary markets like Boise, Bakersfield, Salt Lake, Mission, Woodburn and Sacramento could host a wild card race on a rotating basis.

The benefits would be NHRA would have a new market for at least 6 years, until all six cities hosted a race. Plus, NHRA would retain these tracks so they wouldn't go to IHRA and these tracks would make some improvements in order to get one of these races.

Best of all, the fans would see a new national event both in person and on TV. And racers in these markets would have a national at their home track once every six years which might help them get a sponsor while racing in front of their friends and neighbors.

It's time to think out of the box and do something excited and different while encouraging the sport to grow and this would do it.

You think these tracks would be able to pay the Huge some of $$$ NHRA would want to host such a race?

It all depends on what NHRA does. But something is wrong. We now have 2 tracks currently hosting a national event that are in trouble. What does that tell you.

Given the pressure to reduce the number of Natl. events, wouldn't surprise me if this race doesn't get replaced!

Rich Bailey's comment was the following, It all depends on what NHRA does. But something is wrong. We now have 2 tracks currently hosting a national event that are in trouble. What does that tell you.

It should tell you that the format and show the N.H.R.A. is using no longer works in 2014 and it's time to rethink about how to make the program better for everyone from racers to spectators.

I just hope they don't go to far and start using the same logic that NASCAR is using which is totally crazy and has really made a mess of their original format.

Sometimes I really hate change but I also realize that it is part of life and from time to time some changes are really very good for everyone.

Trying to run any racing programs based on what worked for you in the 80's is really crazy!!!
Remember the definition of insanity is doing the same thing today that you need yesterday and expecting different results.

Just my opinion. Jim Hill

http://www.nostalgicracingdecals.com

What I meant by that was never in the last 20 years has an NHRA National Event track close. It was like owning a McDonalds, a sure thing that it would stay in operation for year to come and the owners would make a lot of money on the event. But right now we are in uncertain times and race tracks are vulnerable. Joe you maybe right that the events in Seattle and Topeka go away and are not replaced.

What I meant by that was never in the last 20 years has an NHRA National Event track close. It was like owning a McDonalds, a sure thing that it would stay in operation for year to come and the owners would make a lot of money on the event. But right now we are in uncertain times and race tracks are vulnerable. Joe you maybe right that the events in Seattle and Topeka go away and are not replaced.

Be a shame to see the Northwest lose it's only Natl. should that happen, but the crowds at SIR were never what you would expect for the Population of the area.

I think Topeka will survive. NHRA stepping up and other issues will help the track. I have also heard that there is a buyer showing some renew interest in track of course thats just rumors maybe something for the silly season, Huum.

Be a shame to see the Northwest lose it's only Natl. should that happen, but the crowds at SIR were never what you would expect for the Population of the area.
SIR never held what Pomona or Indy does but it used to be pretty damn packed up until five, six years ago. It's like every other National Event venue, they ain't drawing what they used to. And yes, it would be a shame if it closes.

SIR never held what Pomona or Indy does but it used to be pretty damn packed up until five, six years ago. It's like every other National Event venue, they ain't drawing what they used to. And yes, it would be a shame if it closes.

That's correct. There were plenty of years where your 15" of seat space was all you got. Personally, I prefer it now... (yeah, I know, that's very near-sighted...)

This year's crowd was very good. It was just full enough that if you wanted to get a seat you could but you had to climb over people to find one. So I don't understand why they are losing money.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back