The Champ... (1 Viewer)

Cliff

Nitro Member
Ya know, in all the years that drag racing has existed, we have never had a true World Champ. We do have some really talented folks from other countries racing here in the US, but we've never had a real World Series. I would love to see the North American Champ Vs Australian Champ Vs European Champ Vs..... Not every country has the same classes we have, but something could be worked out. I wish we had the $$ to come up with at least one race where everyone could come together & just race. I know, wishful thinking, but it would be nice to say, hey, I'm the (fill in the class) world champ and mean it.

with all the Canadians, Aussies, Brits, Saudis and, um Norwegian-y folks (and don't forget Kenji Okazaki!) that have all raced in our series, it already is a world championship....

While it would be a nice idea to have a World Championship it also opens a can of worms over exactly how to do it and where the finals would be held.

It sounds like a logistical nightmare and right now since the whole playoff series to determine a champion seems to me confusing in itself I am not sure it's the right time to even think about it.

Jim Hill
www.nostalgicracingdecals.com

From a logistical standpoint, it would almost have to be a one-event deal, and that's hardly a way to determine a true world champion. It would need to be a series of some sort, and the money simply isn't there to manage all the travel costs.

Sean D

I've thought the same thing myself for years when any domestic US sporting code refers itself to being a World Series or World Champion.
F1, World Super Bike, Rally etc are played out in many countries around the world. Because there is no true world series in drag racing those of us outside the US must travel to the Mecca and compete on foreign soil.
The divide has widened since the NHRA did a Domestic only TV rights deal with Fox and it's partners up the food chain.
To that we don't have the MYDRS on our TV's any more apart from a 42min sneeze and you'll miss it wrap up of Sundays finals about a month later.
How about more US teams come down under and race on our tracks against our heavy hitters. John Zappia, Rapisarda, Brays, Rachael Splatt etc are all worthy. Come on down the weather, food and people are great and we don't have guns!

That would be great to see, are you saying you have no gun violence there ?

Mark unfortunately some idiots get violent for whatever reason and sometimes that involves a firearm.
But weapons of any sort are illegal here in Aus unless you are a member of a rifle club, farmer etc. You need a pretty good reason to get one.
You have to go through all sorts of licensing checks to get one and then there are striked conditions of storage and use.

We had a guy walk into a tearooms in Tasmania https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Bryant
in the 90's and a lot of people were killed and injured. Since then the government have been hot on it.
We have had gun amnesties etc and had one recently. All sort of things get handed in, some old rifles from WW1 etc and they go to museums etc.
No semi or fully auto weapons. If you have a weapon and you're not licenced then your up to no good and the cops will have you.

Come to the origins of drag racing, and race the best in the world, a number of people regularly do ... if you prove your mettle, you can be world champ. In a game that is mainly against the clock and the track its not too hard to figure out the most dominant teams if you chose to rationally compare without going head to head. It's too bad the logistics are so tough, but I honestly can't imagine DSR heading to AU (5.11 tactical certainly wouldn't care much for that) to figure out their track profiles, track prep methods, etc for a few races. Maybe if "fully invited" like the folks from the middle east do (where all logistics are covered for pro mod invitees), but there is so little off season, I just don't see the world's best leaving their home.

With respect to guns, I personally don't think good people with guns cause any problems whatsoever. The argument from that point forward gets difficult, but I think you have to notice that bad people with guns tend to steer clear of places where they might run into good people with guns.

I just don't understand the thought process concerning guns. If a person detonates a bomb it's the person not the bomb, if a person is stabbed it's the perp not the knife, if a person is hit by a car it's the driver not the car but when a person is shot it's the fault of the gun not the operator. I just don't understand the logic.

Back on topic. There's no doubting that the top-tier of the NHRA fuel teams are the best and most well-resourced in the world. There's lots of variables (domestic teams having plenty of data on the tracks, parts availability), it's a far different game than say F1, where the teams all lack for nothing and travel together as part of a global package. Drag Racing is very different in that regard.
In a day and age where sponsorship is harder to come by, seeing guys like Rapisarda/Newby and (a few years ago now) Urs Erbacher bring their equipment to the NHRA show and mix it up, is the best way to do this. The teams that have the money and resources will always be the ones that can afford to be a part of this kind of show anyway. Parts availability, infrastructure etc for Drag Racing is far easier to come by in the US.

One way to do this would be:
Fly in the top 2 Top Fuel competitors from Australia, Europe etc and put them into an NHRA car, then over 3 events, let them duke it out with the Top 2 NHRA cars. Just thinking out loud.

I've thought the same thing myself for years when any domestic US sporting code refers itself to being a World Series or World Champion.
F1, World Super Bike, Rally etc are played out in many countries around the world. Because there is no true world series in drag racing those of us outside the US must travel to the Mecca and compete on foreign soil.
The divide has widened since the NHRA did a Domestic only TV rights deal with Fox and it's partners up the food chain.
To that we don't have the MYDRS on our TV's any more apart from a 42min sneeze and you'll miss it wrap up of Sundays finals about a month later.
How about more US teams come down under and race on our tracks against our heavy hitters. John Zappia, Rapisarda, Brays, Rachael Splatt etc are all worthy. Come on down the weather, food and people are great and we don't have guns!
Thanks for your response, I hope we can bring the all the top fuel racers from around the world together for a world challenge some day, I know the cost and logistics would be huge but it sure would be cool

you could have a series like they did not so long ago...

iroctf.png

NHRA would own the identical cars, and AJ could be the master tuner for all of them

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back