TF Dragster Destroyed In An Instant - Leah Pruett, St. Louis (1 Viewer)

There have been a fair few failures like this.

What do people think the options are for improved lifeing calculations or inspections during shop visits?

Jonathon,

I could be wrong but I don't believe that heat treated tubing is being used. The heat treat makes the tubing more brittle and susceptible to vibration cracking.

Alan

Jonathon,

I could be wrong but I don't believe that heat treated tubing is being used. The heat treat makes the tubing more brittle and susceptible to vibration cracking.

Alan

There was a wonderful piece on Bill Miller's website several years ago describing the heat treating process and the negative ramifications. While a lot of the technical stuff is way over my head it's still a fantastic read. As far as I remember I thought the NHRA banned it after Force's accident.

Jonathon,

Alan
I was referring to the video that Bob Reese posted, at 4:29 they refer to the heat treating in the manufacturing of the tubing for strength.
as far as heat treating after welding, I don't know.

Sorry for the confusion on that statement.

Alan, do you know if the welds are annealed still? At one time I seem to remember that being done.
But that could be my CRS again... :D

I was referring to the video that Bob Reese posted, at 4:29 they refer to the heat treating in the manufacturing of the tubing for strength.
as far as heat treating after welding, I don't know.

Sorry for the confusion on that statement.

Alan, do you know if the welds are annealed still? At one time I seem to remember that being done.
But that could be my CRS again... :D
It’s not Alan - But here is what’s on page 2 of SFI specs books as far as welding and materials

04EEAC08-6CC9-4E26-B0FC-779F2D5E1C2C.jpeg

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back