Tethers being tested (1 Viewer)

Funny thing with engineers is, it always looks good on paper... Good chance on the track, what looks good on paper may not be the best solution...

"Simple stuff" for who?
"why aren't all the 80,000# GVW 18 wheeler's running a 5X5.5" pattern?" The "Simple" answer is they are not as concerned with weight.

I'm sorry. This is about the most idiotic post of the year. Where did you get your engineering degree from? I better stop here.

I've got to go. My all aluminum 53' T&E trailer needs a wash and wax.

"Simple stuff" for who?
"why aren't all the 80,000# GVW 18 wheeler's running a 5X5.5" pattern?" The "Simple" answer is they are not as concerned with weight.

Obviouly you are not a truck driver, are you? I would say most truckers are concerned with weight...the less your truck/trailer weighs, the more cargo you can haul...and the more money you make each trip...

Rich:

Simple job for you. An engineering demonstration you might be able to grasp.

Get a 6 foot length of 2X12 wood. Go nail it to your fence post with 5 nails in a 5.5" center at the center of the board. Now grab an end of it and pull it back and forth. See how easy it is to pull it away from the post when it's supported by such a tight bunch of nails. Now rotate it, rip it off the post and see how easy it was.

Now get another 6' long piece of 2X12 and nail it with 5 nails with a 10" center to a big enough post to accept it. Grab and end and pull it toward you. Notice how much stronger the board is held to the post? Now try to rotate it to rip it off. Get back to me when you figure out which was stronger. Do the same and add an extra nail or two and tell me how that works for you.

Another little point to ponder. You pal says lubricating the threads increases tensile strength. Your friend fails to explain or realize what is happening. By lubricating the threads your are reducing the friction when torquing the bold/stud. The stud stretches as it's torqued giving it a clamping force. Lubrication eliminates friction losses that can result in a false torque reading which will mean the bolt/stud has not stretched to the required spec minimum. Like an L19 rod bolt torqued with lubricant to 100 pounds. The properly installed bolt stretches .006" to .0065". It gives the bolt a clamp force of approximately 20,000+/- pounds (off the top of my head, actual number may be HIGHER). But in the case of a wheel stud, no amount of lubricant or torque is going to strengthen the bolt/stud against lateral (rotating) forces. When the force becomes anything but parallel to the bolt a shear can result. Increasing the bolt circle strengthens the assembly as you found out in the 2X12 field test you did because you have reduced the leverage you placed on the nails.

I also agree that a splined hub would be a good place to start. It would work toward eliminating a twist shear event. Right now it's controlled only by the lateral strength of the studs in a tight centerline.

I also want to say this. If increasing the diameter (bolt circle) weakens the assembly, why is it that larger 10.5 and 12" diameter ring gears are significantly stronger than an 8.5 or 9" ring gear? More material, yes, but the leverage from the center line of the axle is changed, too. And did you know that a major problem for the smaller diameter ring gear rear ends in high horspower applications was the shearing of the ring gear bolts (series of bolts used to hold the ring gear to the spool)? Even in my car with a 10.5" Chrisman rear end when we decide to replace the ring and pinion we will replace all the ring gear bolts with all new bolts.

Larger diameter changes the leveraged load. You know, physics.

RG

Randy . . . You washed and waxed it in less than an hour? I've got 86 feet of Renegade/Performax that need the treatment too!

Let me preferance this by saying...I don't claim to have "THE ANSWER" but some general thoughts on this subject:

Was the torque wrench properly calibrated and set to zero after each use?
Remember a torque wrench can and at times be used incorrectly.

- Yep a LOT of professional crews have rookie guys that don't know how to use a torque wrench on thier crews

I have never seen torque sticks used in the pits. An over torqued condition can "fitique" the threads.

- Who said anything about torque sticks ???

I did some research for a Nascar team using a Skidmoore. A Skidmoore is device which can measure clamping force. My research showed that a clean and lubicated stud and nut can increase clamping force by 80 percent. The natural oil from your skin can increase clamping force by 20 percent verses and non-lubricated stud.

- It is the SHEAR force that is more important in this situation, see Randys post about the fence boards. As I understand it, it is the shear force (a huge amount) that caused the failure not the pulling force (very little if any)

Fastener and Screw / Bolt Design, Formula and Calculation* -* Engineers Edge

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shear_and_moment_diagram

TK

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back