Tech Talk Tuesday with Bruno Massel (1 Viewer)

That is not where the fuel comes in, that's at the bottom of the pump what Bruno points to is the return from the fuel shutoff

That is not where the fuel comes in, that's at the bottom of the pump what Bruno points to is the return from the fuel shutoff

I saw that, too. Also, they don't burn 14 gallons in 1,000'. 14 gallons includes initial fire up, burn out, back up, stage, run, etc., for the two minutes or so they are running. My alcohol funny car used about 6 gallons of fuel doing the same thing.

Doing the math... 116 gallons of fuel per minute equals 116 gallons of fuel in 60 seconds. 116 gallons of fuel divided by 60 seconds equals 1.93 gallons per second. 1.93 gallons of fuel per second times Lea's 3.64 second run at Pomona equals 7.03 gallons of fuel. However, not all of that goes to the engine. A lot of it is returned to the tank through the fuel system, meaning most of the fuel is burned before she launched the car.

Algebra is your friend. LOL

Another fun fact. If the average RPM on Lea's 3.64 second run was 8,000 RPM, then on the run from launch at the starting line (once the et timer started until she tripped the finish line et lights), the crankshaft only made 485 complete revolutions on the run.

The most I have seen actually going into the engine is 87 gallons per minute, and that only occurs for about a second and a half. Most go to 60 gallons or so at the step for the first second, then the fuel ramps up as the clutch begins to apply and the load on the engine maxes out, full fuel flow is from about 2.1 seconds to 3.2 ish That's also where the maximum G force is recorded, past the 330' mark, not right off the line. This graph is a couple of years old, but the curve is going to be the same. Notice at idle it's burning 5 GPM, that's a gallon every 12 seconds AT IDLE!!!

And I don't even need to break out the algebra for this, 60 GPM= 1 gallon per second 80 GPM=1 gallon every 3/4 second

Nitro School is fun and informative!

Alan

Attachments

• Fuel Flow.JPG
    Fuel Flow.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 41
Last edited:
The most I have seen actually going into the engine is 87 gallons per minute, and that only occurs for about a second and a half. Most go to 60 gallons or so at the step for the first second, then the fuel ramps up as the clutch begins to apply and the load on the engine maxes out, full fuel flow is from about 2.1 seconds to 3.2 ish That's also where the maximum G force is recorded, past the 330' mark, not right off the line. This graph is a couple of years old, but the curve is going to be the same. Notice at idle it's burning 5 GPM, that's a gallon every 12 seconds AT IDLE!!!

And I don't even need to break out the algebra for this, 60 GPM= 1 gallon per second 80 GPM=1 gallon every 3/4 second

Nitro School is fun and informative!

Alan

Like I said, my pile of junk TA/FC would burn 6 gallons of alcohol idling for two minutes on the jack stands in my pit with one 5 second stage RPM hit to seat the clutch, check flow rates and cylinder temps on the computer. That translates to a gallon every 20 seconds.

There's one thing I need to point out. While you may not realize it, you did use algebra. Now, put the chalk down and show your work...

1544600014776.png

I like Bruno, but when someone makes a mistake like that, when they are supposed to be explaining something to the viewers, it makes the production look pretty bad. That, and he missed the opportunity to show how the fuel really gets from the tank to the bottom of the pumps. A fuel line that looks like a downspout on the side of your house!!!

Like I said, my pile of junk TA/FC would burn 6 gallons of alcohol idling for two minutes on the jack stands in my pit with one 5 second stage RPM hit to seat the clutch, check flow rates and cylinder temps on the computer. That translates to a gallon every 20 seconds.

There's one thing I need to point out. While you may not realize it, you did use algebra. Now, put the chalk down and show your work...

View attachment 4929
When you screw up with the 1 over e squared by x minus the 1, that's when $#!t blows up..... ;)

I'm not picking on Bruno at all, anyone can make a mistake, but he certainly got the point across that these things burn a TON of fuel.
I was pointing out that the pumps have to be that big because the engine RPM is being tugged down starting at about 1 second when the the fuel volume is being ramped up. So the pump has to be big enough to supply more fuel when it is actually spinning slower than maximum RPM.

Alan

He would do better to interview Prock or Okuhara and let them explain. Many viewers are gearheads, and were probably scratching their's (heads).

Personally, I think Bruno does a great job. I tried that announcing stuff only I was in the tower. I sucked. You think TP's bad....

I see Bruno on Velocity. He does that Garage program where a bunch of them rescue someones' ride. By the way, Randy, I never thought your alky flopper was a pile of junk. That was a fast car. :)

Don't get me wrong, Bruno, Alan and others have and do one heck of a job, but when they slip up with their words there is always someone there to point it out .... all in the spirit of getting it right. It's why you have to be confident to do the job of opening your mouth in public .... nobody is perfect and there is almost always a person who knows the answer listening.

Jeezzzuuusss, do we have to jump on a guy and stab him a dozen times for making an error. We have to back away from our stupid blood sport of finding and exposing mistakes and appreciate the fact that a drag racing TV commentator builds and drives a very very badass turbo comp car. If this stuff continues, it will drive off the Brunos and we will see the likes of Paul Page again.

Jeezzzuuusss, do we have to jump on a guy and stab him a dozen times for making an error. We have to back away from our stupid blood sport of finding and exposing mistakes and appreciate the fact that a drag racing TV commentator builds and drives a very very badass turbo comp car. If this stuff continues, it will drive off the Brunos and we will see the likes of Paul Page again.
Or TPED... :)
I mean he is already on the payroll, so that would be an easy change.
Is that what you guys want??
After all, Bruno is human, and everyone makes mistakes.

What's wrong with criticizing Bruno for giving incorrect information? A person in his position should be darned sure he is being 100% accurate when doing a tech video. Especially a video for NHRA.
While Bruno has probably done more drag racing in the past month than I have my entire life, his expertise is not nitro. He could, and should, have talked to any number of crew chiefs to make sure he is passing along correct data.
People criticize TPED for getting his words mixed up. Yet, when someone like Bruno passes incorrect technical data, and is called out for it, those correcting him are hammered on for daring to point out an error.

Well I see that Mark passed on the "too sensitive" illness. I agree with you Ted, but this is the www where opposing viewpoints are expressed. I've never been one to mix Fun Fair Positive Soccer with drag racing, but some like to post with that point of view.

We know he made a. Mistake but why keep stabbing him let's just move on. Bruno is a great guy and Drag Racing needs people like him to promote our sport. So get over it

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back