Team Mopar® Pro Stocker Johnson Ends 300th Race Early (1 Viewer)

[coverattach=1]Madison, Ill. (May 3, 2009) –Team Mopar® NHRA Full Throttle Pro Stock driver Allen Johnson’s high hopes were dashed early Sunday in the O’Reilly NHRA Midwest Nationals at Gateway International Raceway by a red light start in Round 1 of final eliminations. But in a strange way, he thinks it may end up as a positive.

The Mopar/J&J Racing Dodge Stratus R/T driver faced off against fellow Mopar-powered driver Rickie Jones in the first round of eliminations and was one of three Pro Stock red light victims in the round. Jones ran a slower 6.646/207.88 to record the win after Johnson jumped the light by five-thousandths (-.005) and ran 6.608/209.46.

“It sounds funny, but that was the best light I’ve had lately. It was a bad result, but I actually feel better than I have in a while,” said Johnson. “If you don’t foul once in a while, you aren’t cutting the start like you should. Maybe my 300th race will start me on a good path to getting my ‘mojo’ back.”

Jones was the only Mopar-powered racer to win his first round matchup, as Johnny Gray, Larry Morgan, and Dave Northrop also had their days end early. Jones was then defeated by Greg Anderson in the quarterfinal round.

Johnson and the Mopar/J&J Racing team will look to get back on track in his home state of Tennessee at the NHRA Thunder Valley Nationals at Bristol Dragway May 15-17.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back