Team Kalitta Virginia Nationals Post-Race Report (1 Viewer)

Kalitta logo.jpg

Post-Race Report
NHRA Virginia Nationals
Race 7 of 22 national events
Virginia Motorsports Park
Richmond, VA
May 15, 2022

Langdon Races to Quarterfinals in Richmond; Moves into Top Ten
Langdon 40.jpg

Langdon 40 stats.jpg

Through three rounds of qualifying Shawn Langdon and the DHL Toyota Top Fuel team made two solid runs with his final pass moving the 2013 Top Fuel NHRA world champion into the top half of the field. After a rain delay in the middle of Saturday Langdon took full advantage of prime conditions posting a 3.724 second run moving into the No. 8 spot. For his efforts he earned lane choice over Doug Foley in the first round.
Langdon has won nearly 75% of his first round races when he qualifies in the top half of the field and he continued his dominance with another first round win light over Foley. When the tree flashed Foley launched but his race car didn’t move much beyond the tree and Langdon took off on his best run of the weekend. His DHL Toyota dragster hit the finish line stripe with a winning elapsed time of 3.769 seconds at 328.38 mph. His time was quick enough to earn him lane choice in the quarterfinals.
“That was a nice win in the first round,” said Langdon. “That is the kind of performance we have been looking for and I know we can duplicate it. This DHL Toyota team has been really working hard and that round was proof of our efforts.”
In the second round Langdon faced the No. 1 qualifier and was looking to advance to his first semifinal of the season. The DHL Top Fuel dragster and Langdon got the jump off the starting line with a .057 reaction time, but it overpowered the track almost immediately. Langdon could not chase down his opponent who was on a smooth pass.
“We knew we had to get aggressive against the No. 1 qualifier even though we had lane choice,” said Langdon. “I think even though we didn’t get that win we learned something that we can take to future races. I am looking forward to getting back to the track in a few weeks. I am glad we moved into the Top Ten and I know we can keep improving.”
With his quarterfinal finish Langdon moved into the Top Ten in the Top Fuel Camping World point standings. The series will move on to the New England Nationals in June.

Doug Kalitta Drives Mac Tools to Quarterfinals at Richmond
Doug 42.jpg

Doug 42 stats.jpg
Doug Kalitta and the Mac Tools Toyota Top Fuel dragster team kept their season-long streak alive by once again qualifying in the top half of the field. Kalitta headed into race day as the No. 7 qualifier and a match up with Leah Pruett from Tony Stewart Racing. Kalitta duplicated his strong qualifying effort from Charlotte posting a 3.703 second run at almost 330 mph.
The first round race was a match-up that fans of the Virginia Nationals will be talking about for years to come. Kalitta and Pruett both jumped off the starting line and immediately drove into tire smoke. Both drivers got off the throttle and worked to regain control multiple times as their 11,000 horsepower race cars lurched down their respective lanes. It was Kalitta masterfully keeping his race car in the groove and getting it back under power for the win. Surprisingly, Kalitta’s pedestrian winning time of 5.995 seconds was quick enough to give the 49-time national event winner lane choice in the quarterfinals.
“Wow that race was exciting for sure,” said Kalitta. “I had my hands full with this Mac Tools dragster as soon as I hit the throttle. Those races are fun to race, especially when you get the win. We made good runs in qualifying and conditions changed a little bit today.”
Facing the No. 2 qualifier in the quarterfinals Kalitta was looking to keep his race day moving forward with the Mac Tools Top Fuel dragster. Kalitta had a 3-1 career win record over Austin Prock and was looking to pick up another round win and head to the semifinals. Both drivers took off together and Prock was on a smooth pass while Kalitta had traction issues for the second round in a row. This time he was not able to use his driving skills to steal another win light.
“The track was a little tricky for everyone and it just bit us in the second round,” said Kalitta. “This team is going to keep working hard and we will be ready for the New England Nationals. I have to thank all the sponsors that are supporting us this season especially Mac Tools and all their distributors.”
After seven races Kalitta is sitting in the eighth in the Top Fuel point standings.

J.R. Todd and DHL Toyota GR Supra Battle at NHRA Virginia Nationals
Todd 41.jpg

Todd 41 stats.jpg
J.R. Todd powered his DHL Toyota GR Supra Funny Car to the No. 5 qualifying position at the Virginia Nationals. The team battled intermittent rainstorms for two days with Todd making the second quickest pass of the Funny Car session and earning two qualifying bonus points. Proving how competitive the Funny Car class has become on the performance side Todd faced 16-time Funny Car champion and Circle K Four-Wide Nationals winner John Force in the first round. Todd and his Supra Funny Car were able to choose their lane against the winningest Funny Car driver of all time.
Todd was up to the challenge in the first round and was first off the starting line getting his DHL Toyota GR Supra out in front of Force. Both cars accelerated down the track side by side but as the finish line approached Force was able to get out in front. Todd made a respectable run, 3.994 seconds at over 325 mph beside Force’s slightly quicker 3.922 seconds. It was first time in the last four races Todd will not advance to at least the quarterfinals.
“No one is hanging their head over here with this DHL Toyota team,” said Todd, who has won ten Funny Car national events. “Last time we were here we raced to a runner-up but today wasn’t our day. I am looking forward to June and the summer months when we are racing a lot. I know this DHL team will get into a good groove. We are going to put this race behind us and move forward.”
The DHL Toyota team will head to the next race sitting No. 7 in the NHRA Camping World Drag Racing Series.

Unofficial NHRA Camping World Championship Standings:
Top Fuel

1Brittany Force605
2Mike Salinas526
3Steve Torrence524
4Justin Ashley468
5Austin Prock367
6Clay Millican365
7Josh Hart345
8Doug Kalitta316
9Tony Schumacher295
10Shawn Langdon269

Funny Car
1Matt Hagan673
2Robert Hight658
3Ron Capps561
4John Force447
5Cruz Pedregon395
6Bob Tasca III354
7J.R. Todd331
8Chad Green321
9Alexis DeJoria310
10Tim Wilkerson277

About Kalitta Motorsports:
Based in Ypsilanti, Mich., Kalitta Motorsports is a Top Fuel and Funny Car drag racing team in the NHRA (National Hot Rod Association) Camping World Drag Racing Series. The team was founded and is owned by drag racing icon Connie “the Bounty Hunter” Kalitta. Celebrating over 60 years of Kalitta Motorsports, Connie has been involved in the sport as a driver, tuner, and an owner. Kalitta Motorsports is one of the most successful teams in the history of auto racing with seven world championships and over 100 national event titles in five different professional drag racing sanctioning bodies since it was established by Connie in 1959.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back