Team Kalitta Charlotte Pre-Race Report (1 Viewer)

bfb9b7cf-13a7-439d-a18b-a9ab03e6c5bf.png

Pre-Race Team Kalitta Notes
Event 21 of 24: 2019 NTK Carolina NHRA Nationals
zMax Dragway
Charlotte, NC
October 11-13, 2019

Team Kalitta is entering the third race of the Countdown to the Championship with Doug Kalitta in the Top Fuel point lead and Richie Crampton close behind in sixth. In Funny Car J.R. Todd and Shawn Langdon are also both in striking distance of the points lead and focused on winning a Mello Yello title.

e5e00be0-2c25-4f30-ac71-5cbd1c0a11d6.jpg
Doug Kalitta and Mac Tools Eager to Extend Points Lead in Charlotte

Two races into the 2019 Countdown and Doug Kalitta, driver of the Mac Tools Top Fuel dragster, holds a slim lead in the Mello Yello point standings. A final round appearance and quarterfinal finish at the first two races have the Mac Tools team on the verge of a break-out event. The veteran driver is hoping the NTK Carolina NHRA Nationals this weekend is that event. With sixteen rounds of racing remaining in the 2019 season every point counts.

“We are not getting ahead of ourselves by any means with this points lead,” said Kalitta. “There are too many tough cars out there and four more races. Anything can happen. We just are glad to be in control of our own destiny. If we take care of our business we will be just fine. These next couple of races starting with Charlotte will be critical for us.”

Two years ago Kalitta took four win lights at the Carolina NHRA Nationals defeating teammate Richie Crampton in the final. The Mac Tools team left Charlotte that weekend with the points lead and five races left in the season. The previous year Kalitta was runner-up to Antron Brown at the fall Charlotte race.

“We have had some good races at zMax Dragway in the fall,” said Kalitta. “The win in 2017 was big and we are looking to get another Countdown win this weekend. No one is getting crowned Top Fuel champion this Sunday but you definitely want hold onto the point lead or keep it within a round. It will be an exciting weekend for sure.”

Kalitta has three final round appearances at the fall race in Charlotte. In 2016 he came up just short against multi-time Top Fuel champion Larry Dixon. The consistency gives the 46-time Top Fuel race winner a feeling of confidence going into the NTK Carolina Nationals.

“You always like going back to tracks where you have had success. The fans in Charlotte are great and this Mac Tools team will be ready to hit the ground running on Friday. We want to get a good jump on qualifying on the first day,” added Kalitta.

2018 NHRA Carolina Nationals Highlights: Qual. No. 5; Beat Scott Palmer; Lost to Mike Salinas

Last Event Recap (2019 NHRA Midwest Nationals): Qual. No. 10; Beat Richie Crampton; Lost to Billy Torrence

Quotable: Kalitta on heading to Charlotte with points lead: “There are four races left and we are heading to Charlotte with the Mello Yello Top Fuel point lead. It is one round but we will be looking to extend that this weekend. The Mac Tools team is focused on getting a great qualifying position and then going rounds on Sunday.”

Career Stats: 509 events, 502 starts, 681 round wins, 46 wins, 99 finals, 50 No. 1 qualifiers

2019 Season:
Winternationals: Qual. No. 7, WINNER; Beat Scott Palmer, Billy Torrence, Terry McMillen and Steve Torrence
Arizona Nationals: Qual. No. 5; Beat Jim Maroney; Lost to Jordan Vandergriff
Gatornationals: Qual. No. 11; Beat Terry McMillen, Steve Torrence; Lost to Clay Millican
Las Vegas1: Qual. No. 7; Beat Terry McMillen and Steve Chrisman; Beat Steve Torrent and Richie Crampton; Lost to Mike Salinas and Brittany Force
Houston: Qual. No. 8; Beat Terry McMillen; Lost to Brittany Force
Charlotte1: Qual. No. 4; Beat Richie Crampton and Lex Joon; Lost to Clay Millican and Leah Pritchett
Atlanta: Qual. No. 3; Lost to Shawn Reed
Richmond: Qual. No. 5; Lost to Scott Palmer
Chicago: Qual. No. 5; Beat Shawn Reed, Pat Dakin; Lost to Mike Salinas
Topeka: Qual. No. 5; Beat Leah Pritchett; Lost to Antron Brown
Bristol: Qual. No. 1; Beat Cameron Ferre, Terry McMillen; Lost to Mike Salinas
Norwalk: Qual. No. 13; Beat Clay Millican; Lost to Steve Torrence
Epping: Qual. No. 3; Lost to Terry McMillen
Denver: Qual. No. 10; Lost to Clay Millican
Sonoma: Qual. No. 5; Beat Scott Palmer; Lost to Antron Brown
Seattle: Qual. No. 8; Beat Scott Palmer; Lost to Mike Salinas
Brainerd: Qual. No. 7; Beat Terry McMillen, Steve Torrence; Lost to Mike Salinas
Indianapolis: Qual. No. 8; WINNER; Beat Clay Millican, Brittany Force, Austin Prock and Billy Torrence
Reading: Qual. No. 3; RUNNER-UP; Beat Smax Smith, Mike Salinas, Austin Prock; Lost to Richie Crampton
St. Louis: Qual. No. 10; Beat Richie Crampton; Lost to Billy Torrence

69ec5db6-d608-4e7e-a2c5-0add046cc3cf.jpeg
Langdon Looking for Second Consecutive Win at zMax Dragway

Shawn Langdon is looking to keep two streaks going heading into the NTK Carolina NHRA Nationals. The second year Funny Car driver and Funny Car championship contender is looking for his second win at zMax Dragway this season as well as his second win in a row in the Countdown. If Langdon can keep these streaks alive the former Top Fuel champion will be closer to picking up his first Funny Car Mello Yello Funny Car championship.

“We have a lot of positive momentum coming out of St. Louis,” said Langdon. “That win was a total team effort. I did my job as a driver and Del and Nicky did a great job tuning throughout race day. We raced our teammate in the final round which is how you want the day to go.”

This weekend’s race will start a two race stretch where Langdon will be racing a pink Global Electronic Technology Toyota Camry. This is the second year in a row Langdon and Global Electronic Technology will be supporting breast cancer awareness during the month of October. For Langdon he is hoping to raise treatment and awareness for all forms of cancer prevention since his father recently battled liver cancer.

“When you hear the word cancer it just breaks your spirit. I would like to be a part of turning that reaction around,” said Langdon. “My dad was really lucky and got a liver transplant just in time earlier this season. October is known as breast cancer awareness month but I think it is also important to talk about all forms of cancer treatment and awareness throughout the year. I have to thank Steve and Samantha Bryson for all their support of my family over the past two years. I think this pink Global Electronic Technology Funny Car looks amazing and I want to park it in the winner’s circle in Charlotte and Dallas.”

As a second generation racer Langdon grew up in the sport and has had success at every level beginning with the Jr. Dragster program. His sportsman skills were on full display during the second round of racing in St. Louis. A week earlier Langdon was in the final round of a $30,000 to win bracket race in his Super Comp dragster and on Sunday he had to pedal and run down Jim Campbell in his 11,000 hp Toyota Camry Funny Car for a surprising win. At the hit of the throttle Langdon’s Funny Car smoked the tires but he was able to gather it back up and chase down a tire-smoking Campbell for the win and save his wounded race car in the process.

“As soon as I smoked the tires I took the chance to get some experience pedaling my Funny Car,” said Langdon. “I wasn’t even thinking about winning the round. I saw Campbell smoke the tires I knew I had a chance and as I went past him I could tell my Global Electronic Technology Funny Car was hurting so I knew I had him covered and I lifted off the throttle just before the finish line. It was like I was in my Super Comp dragster.”

With the third race of the Countdown coming up Langdon is in seventh place in the Mello Yello point standings. He started the Countdown 110 points back but the win in St. Louis has him just 80 point out of first place with sixteen rounds of racing left. There will be double points at the season finale at Auto Club Raceway as well.

“We know if we can keep winning rounds we can move up in the points,” said Langdon. “That is the exciting part. We are not out of the championship hunt by a long shot. We do need another good weekend in Charlotte and I would love to sweep the two races at zMax Dragway.”

No Funny Car driver in the Countdown era has won both the Four-Wide Nationals and the NTK Carolina Nationals in the same season. Two Top Fuel drivers, Steve Torrence (2018) and Antron Brown (2015) have swept the Carolinas.

2018 NHRA Carolina Nationals Highlights: Qualified No. 11; Lost to Matt Hagan

Last Event Recap (2019 NHRA Midwest Nationals): Qual. No. 10; WINNER; Beat Tommy Johnson Jr., Jim Campbell, Bob Tasca III and J.R. Todd

Quotable: Langdon on heading to Charlotte: “The win in St. Louis showed what this Global Electronic Technology Camry team is capable of accomplishing. We are moving up in the points and I am excited to get to Charlotte. They have a great facility and every round matters now.”

Career Stats: 252 events, 249 starts, 285 round wins, 16 wins, 33 finals, 18 No. 1 qualifiers; in Funny Car: 44 events, 44 starts, 35 round wins, 2 wins, 3 finals, 0 No. 1 qualifiers

2019 Season:
Winternationals: Qual. No. 6; Beat Jim Campbell; Lost to Tommy Johnson Jr.
Arizona Nationals: Qual. No. 7; Beat Cruz Pedregon; Lost to Matt Hagan
Gatornationals: Qual. No. 10; Lost to Cruz Pedregon
Las Vegas1: Qual. No. 8; Lost to Tim Wilkeron and Jeff Diehl
Houston: Qual. No. 10; Beat Cruz Pedregon; Lost to Ron Capps
Charlotte1: Qual. No. 5; WINNER; Beat Jeff Diehl and Terry Haddock; Beat J.R. Todd and Tommy Johnson Jr; Beat Robert Hight, John Force and Matt Hagan
Atlanta: Qual. No. 6; Lost to Ron Capps
Richmond: Qual. No. 5; Beat Tim Wilkerson; Lost to J.R. Todd
Chicago: Qual. No. 4; Lost to Jeff Arend
Topeka: Qual. No. 8; Lost to Robert Hight
Bristol: Qual. No. 2; Beat Jeff Diehl; Lost to Ron Capps
Norwalk: Qual. No. 12; Beat Blake Alexander; Lost to Jack Beckman
Epping: Qual. No. 5; RUNNER-UP; Beat Jim Campbell, Robert Hight, Tim Wilkerson; Lost to Matt Hagan
Denver: Qual. No. 9; Beat Tim Wilkerson; Lost to Robert Hight
Sonoma: Qual. No. 2; Beat Terry Haddock; Lost to John Force
Seattle: Qual. No. 6; Beat Cruz Pedregon; Lost to Matt Hagan
Brainerd: Qual. No. 6; Beat Paul Lee, Bob Bode; Lost to Ron Capps
Indianapolis: Qual. No. 7; Beat Tommy Johnson Jr.; Lost to Matt Hagan
Reading: Qual. No. 8; Lost to Matt Hagan
St. Louis: Qual. No. 10; WINNER; Beat Tommy Johnson Jr., Jim Campbell, Bob Tasca III and J.R. Todd

d8d4d3f0-e114-4ce1-9352-abe88e608e9c.jpg
J.R. Todd Striving for Victory at Carolina Nationals with DHL Camry Funny Car

The reigning Funny Car champion J.R. Todd is looking to pick up one more round win on Sunday and continue his streak of improvement in the 2019 Countdown. At the Countdown opening race in Reading, Pennsylvania, Todd powered the DHL Toyota Camry to a semifinal finish and two weeks later in St. Louis he lost in the final to teammate Shawn Langdon. The nine-time Funny Car winner is looking to get his first win at zMax Dragway this weekend and reel in his second Funny Car championship. Last year it was Todd’s final round appearance that continued to move him up closer to his first championship.

“We got to the final last year at zMax Dragway and this year we want to get that win,” said Todd. “This track is one of the nicest facilities we come to on the circuit and it is in the heart of NASCAR country. I have a lot of friends over on the NASCAR side of things and I would love to show off for them this weekend. It will be a tough race for sure.”

Tough races are nothing new to Todd and the DHL Toyota Camry Funny Car. In St. Louis Todd had to defeat three Funny Car world champions just to get to the final against his teammate Shawn Langdon. On the way to the final his opponents had a combined 19 world championships between Jack Beckman, John Force and Robert Hight.

“That was a tough and exciting day of racing,” said Todd. “I hadn’t had much luck against some of those guys this season but we got the win lights. I think you have to be at the top of your game every round all season but in the Countdown you have to take it to another level. I love racing against the other Countdown racers because you can really make up points. That is the name of the game with four races left.”

2018 NHRA Carolina Nationals Highlights: Qual. No. 4; RUNNER-UP; Beat Jonnie Lindberg, Cruz Pedregon, John Force; Lost to Ron Capps

Last Event Recap (2019 NHRA Midwest Nationals): Qual. No. 8; RUNNER-UP; Beat Jack Beckman, John Force, Robert Hight; Lost to Shawn Langdon

Quotable: J.R. Todd on runner-up in St. Louis: “It is always tough to race your teammate. We knew we had to throw down in the final and we just were a little too strong. I was happy to see two Camrys in the final and we will try to do that again in Charlotte. The points are tightening up so it is anybody’s championship right now.”

Career Stats: 220 events, 212 starts, 235 round wins, 18 wins, 33 finals, 12 No. 1 qualifiers; in Funny Car: 68 events, 68 starts, 9 wins, 13 finals, 85 round wins, 3 No. 1 qualifiers

2019 Season:
Winternationals: Qual. No. 9; Lost to Bob Tasca III
Arizona Nationals: Qual. No. 5; RUNNER-UP; Beat Terry Haddock, Tommy Johnson Jr., Robert Hight, Lost to Matt Hagan
Gatornationals: Qual. No. 11; Lost to Jack Beckman
Las Vegas1: Qual. No. 4; WINNER; Beat Gary Densham and Jim Campbell in first quad, Matt Hagan and Jeff Diehl in second quad and in the final quad beat Tommy Johnson Jr., Jack Beckman and Tim Wilkerson.
Houston: Qual. No. 4; Beat Jim Campbell; Lost to Robert Hight
Charlotte1: Qual. No. 8; Beat Bob Tasca III and Bob Glibertson; Lost to Shawn Langdon and Robert Hight
Atlanta: Qual. No. 2; Beat Jim Campbell; Lost to Tommy Johnson Jr.
Richmond: Qual. No. 4; RUNNER-UP; Beat Bob Tasca III, Shawn Langdon, Jonnie Lindberg; Lost to Ron Capps
Chicago: Qual. No. 6; Lost to John Force
Topeka: Qual. No. 1; Beat bye; Lost to Robert Hight
Bristol: Qual. No. 5; Beat Terry Haddock; Lost to Jack Beckman
Norwalk: Qual. No. 7; Beat Robert Hight; Lost to John Force
Epping: Qual. No. 1; Beat bye; Lost to Tim Wilkerson
Denver: Qual. No. 11; Lost to John Force
Sonoma: Qual. No. 11; Lost to Matt Hagan
Seattle: Qual. No. 2; Beat Jeff Diehl; Lost to Ron Capps
Brainerd: Qual. No. 10; Lost to Ron Capps
Indianapolis: Qual. No. 5; Beat Cruz Pedregon, Ray Martin; Lost to Jack Beckman
Reading: Qual. No. 10; Beat Tommy Johnson Jr., John Smith; Lost to Jack Beckman
St. Louis: Qual. No. 8; RUNNER-UP; Beat Jack Beckman, John Force, Robert Hight; Lost to Shawn Langdon

4685ff61-7f85-4eae-9d78-f29bbf694a3d.jpg
Countdown Contender Crampton Cruising for Second Playoff Win in Charlotte

The DHL Kalitta Air Top Fuel dragster team and driver Richie Crampton will be looking to continue their rise in the Mello Yello point standings this weekend at the NTK Carolina NHRA Nationals. The winner of the first race of the 2019 Countdown pulled a tough draw in the second race in St. Louis facing his teammate and Top Fuel points leader Doug Kalitta in the first round. Beginning Friday at zMax Dragway Crampton, a two race winner this season, is concentrating on getting a quick start and grabbing qualifying bonus points.

“We have made up some ground on the teams at the top of the point standings but we need to continue to close that gap,” said Crampton. “The best way to do that is to get some of those bonus points and qualifying in one of the top spots.”

The young Australian is thrilled to be racing for drag racing legend Connie Kalitta and knows that when he gets behind the wheel he will have a quality set-up. Crampton’s win at the start of the Countdown was the tenth of his career racing Top Fuel and equaled the race total of team owner and his crew chief Kalitta.

“To have as many Top Fuel wins as Connie Kalitta is an amazing accomplishment,” said Crampton. “He is a racer’s racer and to be able to represent him at the races is a big responsibility. We have great partners in DHL and Toyota that expect wins and top performance. This whole Kalitta team is looking to get as many wins as possible to close out the season.”

Two years ago Crampton was the runner-up finished to Doug Kalitta at the Carolina Nationals. The pair also raced each other two races ago in Pennsylvania with Crampton coming out on top. Crampton would love to keep the all Kalitta final round streak alive. Last race Funny Car teammates J.R. Todd and Shawn Langdon faced each other in the St. Louis final round.

“The goal every race is to get two Team Kalitta race cars in the final round,” said Crampton. “You don’t want to run into each other early on race day. We are all in the championship hunt and the more Countdown contenders we can knock out the better it is for everyone. This championship is going to come down to Pomona and I just want to make sure that this DHL Kalitta Air dragster is in the fight on the last day of the season.”

2018 NHRA Carolina Nationals Highlights: Qual. No. 10; Lost to Leah Pritchett

Last Event Recap (2019 NHRA Midwest Nationals): Qual. No. 7; Lost to Doug Kalitta

Quotable: Crampton on heading to Charlotte: “We had a tough draw in the first round in St. Louis but we know this DHL Kalitta Air dragster is a strong race car. We have one win in the Countdown and we would like to pick up another one in Charlotte this weekend.”

Career Stats: 123 events, 122 starts, 103 round wins, 10 wins, 12 finals, 5 No. 1 qualifiers

2019 Season:
Winternationals: Qual. No. 6; Lost to Terry McMillen
Arizona Nationals: Qual. No. 15; Lost to Terry McMillen
Gatornationals: Qual. No. 12; WINNER, Beat Antron Brown, Leah Pritchett, TJ Zizzo and Clay Millican
Las Vegas1: Qual. No. 6; Beat Scott Palmer, Cameron Ferre; Lost to Doug Kalitta and Brittany Force
Houston: Qual. No. 13; Lost to Clay Millican
Charlotte1: Qual. No. 12; Lost to Doug Kalitta and Leah Pritchett
Atlanta: Qual. No. 7; Lost to Scott Palmer
Richmond: Qual. No. 7; Lost to Austin Prock
Chicago: Qual. No. 11; Beat Austin Prock; Lost to Steve Torrence
Topeka: Qual. No. 7; Beat Terry McMillen; Lost to Billy Torrence
Bristol: Qual. No. 9; Lost to Terry McMillen
Norwalk: Qual. No. 8; Lost to Billy Torrence
Epping: Qual. No. 2; Beat Audrey Worm, bye; Lost to Steve Torrence
Denver: Qual. No. 8; Beat Austin Prock; Lost to Steve Torrence
Sonoma: Qual. No. 7; Beat Terry McMillen; Lost to Steve Torrence
Seattle: Qual. No. 6; Lost to Antron Brown
Brainerd: Qual. No. 11; Lost to Clay Millican
Indianapolis: Qual. No. 5; Lost to Austin Prock
Reading: Qual. No. 4; WINNER; Beat Dan Mercier, Antron Brown, Brittany Force and Doug Kalitta
St. Louis: Qual. No. 7; Lost to Doug Kalitta

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back