TA/FC driver Jason Rupert crashes at Woodburn (1 Viewer)

NHRAMike

Nitro Member
Jason Rupert was facing Brian Hough in the finals of TA/FC at the Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series in Woodburn today. Just before 330' Jason's car got sideways, and crashed into the wall in the opposite lane. From what I saw, I beleive that he didn't have any injuries since he climbed out of the car under his own power and immediately walked over to the safety safari truck. I shot a photo sequence so I'll post it once I get some kind of confirmation that he is indeed ok.

Thanks Mike!!! DRO said it looked pretty intense. :eek:
Very happy that Jason is OK!!!

BTW: Congrats to Steve, Patty, & Tom Bayer!!!
:):)

Yes it was. His safety equipment likely saved his life. It was the most horrific crash I have ever witnessed there or anywhere. It was nice that everyone politely clapped once they knew he was standing and getting out of what was left of the chassis. The body ended up by the return road.

Last edited:
Yes it was. His safety equipment likely saved his life. It was the most horrific crash I have ever witnessed there or anywhere. It was nice that everyone politely clapped once they new he was standing and getting out of what was left of the chassis. the body ended up by the return road.

Honestly, when he hit the wall almost head on, I was expecting the worst, but yes, once I saw him get out without any assistance the first thing I thought was that the safety equipment certainly did it's job! Actually I think that Johnathan Adams was in more danger when the car shed it's body and the pieces were flying toward him. (Pic DSC 6638)

Here is the link to the crash sequence

Jason Rupert crash sequence

Wow, that was a real hard looking shot to the opposite lane wall. I'm glad to hear he was ok. It looked like he got into Hough in your second shot but on the next one I could see he was gone.

Thanks for sharing those with us. Great job with the pics.

WOW :eek::eek:
Thanks for the pics Mike!
I'm sorry you, Rich, & everyone there had to witness that but thank some higher power that Jason walked away!!! :):)
I'm glad that Brian had the throttle down all the way cause in one of your pics, it looks like Jason was gonna hit him if he was going slower!!!

You guys be extra careful & Rich; pull the belts a little tighter next time you buckle in!!!

Last edited:
That looks SCARY !!
And one reason I totally dislike Bruton Smith's idea for a four lane dragstrip is I think it would increase the likelyhood of a race car going into the guardrail HEAD ON ! I think it is a very bad idea.......but what do I know ??:confused:

Great shots. I'm glad that nobody was injured. If you look in pictures 5-9 there was a track worker in a blue shirt just trying to get out of the way. It looks as if he was real close to getting hit by some of the body.

Thanks Wayne. The Hans is a life saver. I'm sure glad I was wearing mine even when I needed it, even if it wasn't required for me to do so at the time.

I don't like the idea of 4 lane track running at the same time. It cheapens the sport. The attention should be on one race at a time.

Last edited:
That looks SCARY !!
And one reason I totally dislike Bruton Smith's idea for a four lane dragstrip is I think it would increase the likelyhood of a race car going into the guardrail HEAD ON ! I think it is a very bad idea.......but what do I know ??:confused:

John, I could be wrong so correct me if I am, but I believe Bruton's 4 lane dragstrip isint exactly one 4 lane strip, its 2 identical 2 lane strips like we have now just side by side.

I'm not sure this is fact, but it looks like the Safety Safari was "on scene" in about 20 seconds of the initial contact with the wall, if their crossing the finish line (photo 13 of 19) is what gave Rupert his 16.96 ET. Their reputation is legendary, but that's still an incredible testament to their response time.

John, I could be wrong so correct me if I am, but I believe Bruton's 4 lane dragstrip isint exactly one 4 lane strip, its 2 identical 2 lane strips like we have now just side by side.

Justin,
You are correct. Two separate two lane strips side by side. Not a four lane strip. I wish everyone would understand that. The guy makes a joke on TV and it's spread around the internet as gospel. And now...back to your regularly scheduled thread. :)

We were there for that yesterday and it was a nightmare to watch. Like everyone else, watching it bang the wall and toss the body, you feared the worst. Very cool that he got out largely unscathed. We were down there and overheard Hough say that he had talked to Jason, he was a little dizzy and didn't remember much of it, but was doing fine.

And yes, I watched the safety truck cross the line and stop the clock at 16 seconds. Pretty amazing.

Saw the car afterward, and although it was a total loss, it was pretty amazing how undamaged it was given the smack it took into the wall. The driver compartment looked completely untouched.

All this safety stuff is worth it. Watching that made me think how glad I am that NHRA and others take safety so seriously. I strap my daughter into a Super Comp car all the time, and feel confident that she's safe. Things like this make you breathe easier.

Speaking of Woodburn, wasn't it cool to see all the cars? Given the economy and all, I was thinking the participant turnout would be terrible (at ~$5 for diesel). They said they had upwards of 400 cars there. Nice to see...

Just for the record, Grant Downing built the chassis.

I spoke to Grant on the phone at Worsham Racing this morning and he told me that Jason Rupert already called him and thanked him for building him a chassis that saved his life.

RG

Great to hear Jason is OK. I remember Del flipping through the sand in Pomona and now this crash.........Sure speaks volumes for Grant's ability to build a VERY safe car:D

Grant is the man, no doubt!
Now, Jason, if you are lurking, let me know what you need and we will see what we can do to help you get running again.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back