Suzuki rider matt smith advances to second round in denver (1 Viewer)

[coverattach=1]MORRISON, Colo. (July 12, 2009) - Matt Smith, rider of the Nitro Fish Suzuki Pro Stock Motorcycle for Don Schumacher Racing, advanced to the second round of eliminations today at the Mopar Mile-High Nationals at Bandimere Speedway.

Smith first defeated Junior Pippin in the opening round, with a solid 7.384-second elapsed time (fourth quickest of the round) at 175.89 mph, then faced Andrew Hines in the quarterfinal. Smith recorded another excellent pass of 7.382 seconds at 176.03 mph, but it was disqualified when he red-lighted by -.013-of a second. Hines took off with a perfect (.000) reaction time, winning with a slower 7.388/178.59.

"We made a good pass first round," said Smith. "I was .03 on the light, the bike ran good, but we broke something. We don't know what. So, we had to come back and change motors again, and it ran good. I can't blame anybody but myself. We were low of the round.

"As a rider I don't know what I'm doing different than what I've ever done in the past. I never red light like this. Against Hines I knew I needed to do exactly what I did first round and go up there and go .02 or .03 on the light and that's all I wanted to do. I didn't know what the new motor was going to do, and I give Andrew and his team credit.

"Hopefully I'll get that turned around and I get back riding like I should."

Next up for the Pro Stock Motorcycle class is the FRAM-Autolite NHRA Nationals July 24-26 in Kent, Wash.

UNOFFICIAL POINT STANDINGS, after 8 of 17 events:
1. Eddie Krawiec, 739 (winner today)
2. Andrew Hines, 651 (runner-up today)
3. Matt Smith, 651
4. Craig Treble, 535
5. Doug Horne, 506
6. Hector Arana, 472
7. Matt Guidera, 446
8. Steve Johnson, 360
9. Shawn Gann, 356
10. Karen Stoffer, 351.

Ways To Support Nitromater