Stanfield has MAVTV Camaro tuned up for big challenge in Pomona (1 Viewer)

POMONA, Calif. (Feb. 16) - Greg Stanfield continued his love affair with Auto Club Raceway at Pomona, qualifying the MAVTV Chevrolet Camaro in the No. 9 spot for Sunday's 53rd annual O'Reilly Auto Parts NHRA Winternationals.

Stanfield raced to the final round in both races at Pomona in 2011, winning the NHRA Finals. It leaves him with a good feeling about the historic facility.

"This is a good track for us," Stanfield said. "I like it here, and I hope to have some more luck tomorrow."

Stanfield squares off against four-time Pro Stock champion Greg Anderson in Sunday's opening round of eliminations. Stanfield's top pass was 6.582 seconds at 210.11 mph, while Anderson qualified No. 8 with a lap of 6.580 seconds at 210.64 mph.

"Obviously, they're struggling because they're usually much faster than that," Stanfield said of Anderson's KB Racing team. "We've got our work cut out for us, for sure, but hey, we're in the show, and that's all that matters.

"I've got to thank MAVTV, J.D. and Teresa (Coffman) and everybody who's helped us with this car. Just being here racing is big for us."

Stanfield is working with a bare-bones crew in Pomona, with a total of three crew members turning the wrenches of the new MAVTV Camaro. But the lack of manpower hasn't been a hindrance.

"It's not bad," Stanfield said. "We all know each other and know what to do. We don't have to tell each other what to do, and we know what has to be done. Sometimes that's better than having too many people. It's okay, and we'll deal with it."

Stanfield's Camaro has been amazingly consistent, with his four passes within .019 seconds of one another. His best pass was fifth-quickest in Saturday's third session, giving his team a chance to experiment in the final qualifying session and work on some race day settings.

"The car's really consistent," Stanfield said. "We tried some stuff that last pass and it slowed it down a little bit. But we'll regroup, put it back where she was running good and see if we can outrun the Summit boys."

More...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back