SS/AH at the Dutch (1 Viewer)

JL

Nitro Member
Did you see the run Daniels made in the Hemi Shootout at the Dutch. The 33 is a nickel quicker than Charlie Wescott Jr. ran last year at the same race to get the class record. Wescott's were on the bill to be there, I hope they are tomorrow. I was hoping Larry Perkins would debut his Grump powered Cuda this weekend too. Maybe manana...

Today:
1 1517 SS/AH Jim Daniels, Bristol PA, '68 Dart 8.331 9.75 -1.419

Class Record:
SS/AH 8.38 157.08 10/26/08 Charlie Westcott Jr - Parma, MI - '68 Plymouth Mohnton, PA

I have been in West Chester only 30 minutes away on business 6 of the last 10 weeks and missed the both the nationals and now the Dutch... Nice timing by me! :(

RE: "1.419"

Is that afoul of the AHFS? Will it get those engines horsepower? Or, are they exempt?

That was an astounding run yesterday. Also saw when he tried to back it up and almost hit the wall. Great job, I've always admired those cars.

copied a post from charlie wescott from Moparts on the Web - Main Index

I am not there cause I am not happy with my program at this point. Trying to wrok out some issues that the stick cars have magnified. I hope to get on the spintron in the coming weeks. A side note to the awesome 33 run, thats 1.42 under. bruce told me yesterday that that is an automatic HP hit. Auto only. 3%=96 lbs.
that means that the new wts will be 3302
stick 3170.
funny how at indy they all want me to put wt in my car, now they will 132# heavier.
Plus next year clutchless trans are legal. Maybe more guys will build sticks and get the advantage.
cw

Okay, so nobody knew the answer to my question RE: Does the AHFS bestow horsepower on these Hemi cars that are mandated to run their own, autonomous class???

Westcott says, "yes."

Having learned that, I am now curious as to exactly what strategic advantages or disadvantages exist because of the horsepower rating of cars in this very special class.

You want a level playing field in Class racing, because, normally, when two cars of the same class run each other, either in Class Eliminations, or in the Eliminator, they're running a heads-up, no handicap/no breakout race.

In that case, two same-class, but dissimilar, cars need a pair of horsepower factors that are equitable; if they are not, the car with the more favorable factor will have the advantage. That is the reason for horsepower factors, in the first place... to keep a level playing field between dissimilar cars, in heads-up races.

Enter the 426 Hemis that run SS/AH.

These cars never EVER run any other types of cars in a heads-up race; there is ALWAYS a "dial-in" handicap, with the breakout rule in effect.

So, since they can always dial-in whatever handicap they desire, as can their competitor, what difference does it make what their factored horsepower is?

They NEVER run any other cars heads-up... never.

You could put 200 horsepower on that motor, and the only difference would be that their dial-ins would reflect the extra weight; it wouldn't change their "program" one iota... they'd still have to race each other, weighing the same amount, and the dial-ins would equalize the increased HP factors...

So, why do it???? It doesn't matter...

Last edited:
Bill,
I could be wrong but I think these cars run heads up. The only difference is the required weight between standard transmission and automatic trans.

Paul,

I am pretty sure you're correct about that. Maybe the stick/automatic issue is enough reason to assign AHFS horsepower when it is "earned," but I wasn't aware (until now) that the sticks and automatic factors were separate.

Thanks for the "heads-up"!!!! :)

Bill

I agree,especially after Daniels ran a 8.27.Granted the runs are in great air,but that's still haulin' ass.

8.27, 8.29, 8.28 @ 159.8, needless to say, he won the race. It looks like Ray Barton is back on the top again as a builder for these Hemis.:D That is flying!

Someone told me over the weekend that one of those competitive engines in an SS/AH car can run over $100k. Is that accurate? Also heard that they don't last very long (5-8 passes?) before something has to be replaced? Is that accurate also?

4047391072_5605ed93bd.jpg

4047391076_173cfdb56c.jpg

Someone told me over the weekend that one of those competitive engines in an SS/AH car can run over $100k. Is that accurate? Also heard that they don't last very long (5-8 passes?) before something has to be replaced? Is that accurate also?

Yes to both. The number of passes can vary a lot and so can what breaks, but break they do.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back