Smith places nitro fish suzuki in no. 4 at nhra route 66 nationals (1 Viewer)

[coverattach=1]JOLIET, Ill. (June 6, 2009) - Matt Smith placed the Nitro Fish Ultimate Gear Suzuki Pro Stock Motorcycle in the fourth spot after four rounds of qualifying at Route 66 Raceway in Joliet, Ill., for the Route 66 NHRA Nationals.

Smith, who sits second in Pro Stock Motorcycle points, ran his best time of the weekend during the first round on Friday, posting a 6.978-second elapsed time at 190.62 mph. His other runs included a 7.105/182.75, a 7.141/181.15, and a 12.399/55.88, in which the engine gave way.

"Our Don Schumacher Nitro Fish Suzuki ran decent on the first run Friday, but we missed the tune-up a little bit," said Smith. "I think what finally happened during the last run was what has been plaguing us all weekend. The motor just gave up and I don’t think we’ve been chasing the tune-up as bad as we were fighting the engine just going away. We just didn’t catch it.

"We’re going to stick another motor back in. We’re actually putting in the motor we ran in Houston, which we set the national record in, so I think we’ll have a good day tomorrow and go after this thing. We want to win and do whatever it takes to get a Wally.”

Smith faces Mike Berry in the first round of Pro Stock Motorcycle eliminations on Sunday, which are set to begin at 11:00 a.m. CT and will air on ESPN2 at 3:00 p.m. CT Sunday.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back