Slowing down big show car ideas! (1 Viewer)

turbo ken

Nitro Member
I have a way to slow down the "big show" cars, plus it would give them extra parts with spending any more money (except for alky dragster and F/C)
T/F and F/C,
1 44amp mag only,
1 spark plug per cylinder only,
1 90 gpm fuel pump only (no overdriving the pump)
Leave everything else alone.

TA/D and TA/FC
1 44 amp mag
1 spark plug per cylinder only
Blowers no bigger than a 14-71 standard helix only
1 90 gpm fuel pump (no overdriving of fuel pump)
Leave everything else the same

AF/D
1 44 amp mag
1 spark plug per cylinder
Leave everthing else the same

P/S
1 1150 cfm 4barrel carb only (no "split" carb)

I have a way to slow down the "big show" cars, plus it would give them extra parts with spending any more money (except for alky dragster and F/C)
T/F and F/C,
1 44amp mag only,
1 spark plug per cylinder only,
1 90 gpm fuel pump only (no overdriving the pump)
Leave everything else alone.

TA/D and TA/FC
1 44 amp mag
1 spark plug per cylinder only
Blowers no bigger than a 14-71 standard helix only

AF/D
1 44 amp mag
1 spark plug per cylinder
Leave everthing else the same

P/S
1 1150 cfm 4barrel carb only (no "split" carb)

I'd love to know of any Alky FC or dragster, even an A-Fuel dragster that runs a 90 Gal. Pump?:D

These are all good thoughts.everyone has a opinion and that makes the world go round. If you know alot of things about fuel racing some things work and some dont. And this is my opinion, whether its right or not, I sure would like to try it. From the tank to the pump- have a limit on the size line ( maybe 1 3/4 for feed of the pump). The fuel is what makes the power. The more you burn, the more power you make. Control the clutch (race the track) and the faster you go. It would be very cheap to do and slow them down for a while until new ways came up (and I am sure they would). The big fuel volume and burning it is the issue. If it dont burn right- its a bigger bomb when it goes off. All everyone is doing is controling a bomb as a crew cheif. Who can build the biggest bomb and control it from going off. The car usually goes faster. But what do I Know? I am just a dumb coonass. But its a very inexspensive way with less B.S.
Wayne'o

Hey Wayne'O...what would the effect of a liquid restrictor be on a current fuel motor? Say have an independent machining operation make an aluminum or titanium "fitting" that would attach to the bottom of the pump. The I/D would be 1.75" or 1.5" and NHRA would issue said fittings to each team in tech at each event. Serialized, controlled distribution, drastic penalties for alteration or ommission. If the fuel has to pass through a small orifice before entering the pump chamber, would that not have the same effect of restricting the physical size of the inlet line?

One of my thoughts has been limiting the amount of fuel that can be carried on-board. If the volume was cut by 35%-50% of the current average the pumps would have to push less volume...less volume, less power. The motors would make circa 1990 horsepower but with 2008 clutches, tires, chassis, etc. Thoughts?

Wayne's KISS approach would likely yield the same desired results as making new complicated rules that would be significantly more COSTLY. Step by step testing would be more prudent. Let's not try to reinvent the wheel.

I would like to see the funny cars go back to looking more like production cars, like back in the days when you could tell a Mustang from a Monza.

That might slow them down a tad.

I just don't want to see them keep adding weight. Heavier cars going fast are harder to stop.

Single fuel pump, 3.30 rear, smaller wings/spoilers, older style low profile injector hats and 100% nitro.

I would like to see the funny cars go back to looking more like production cars, like back in the days when you could tell a Mustang from a Monza.

Funny Cars, Floppers, what ever you want to call them, have only had passing resemblance to street cars since the late sixties. When you can't tell the cars apart on the street, should it be really that different on the strip?

d'kid

These are all good thoughts.everyone has a opinion and that makes the world go round. If you know alot of things about fuel racing some things work and some dont. And this is my opinion, whether its right or not, I sure would like to try it. From the tank to the pump- have a limit on the size line ( maybe 1 3/4 for feed of the pump). The fuel is what makes the power. The more you burn, the more power you make. Control the clutch (race the track) and the faster you go. It would be very cheap to do and slow them down for a while until new ways came up (and I am sure they would). The big fuel volume and burning it is the issue. If it dont burn right- its a bigger bomb when it goes off. All everyone is doing is controling a bomb as a crew cheif. Who can build the biggest bomb and control it from going off. The car usually goes faster. But what do I Know? I am just a dumb coonass. But its a very inexspensive way with less B.S.
Wayne'o

Wayne, you are far from a dumb coonass in my book.

Restrictor plates for fuel feed lines is an interesting idea.And one that could very easily be emplimented,and policed.

That would be nice to see too - however the problem is that (IMO) most of the production bodies they're based on are pretty ugly and looking more like them might not be a good thing.

I've wondered if the design of the rear decks and the huge wings/spill plates is causing some of the issues with chute deployment.

Make them get rid of the "Batmobile" rear decks, and limit the amount they can narrow the greenhouse and I'd be happy.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back