Similar incident earlier this year??? (1 Viewer)

Nitro cars can keep running and making power without the mags on via compression ignition. I'm not too sure that I would be comfortable with the brakes being activated automatically. There are too many times that drivers gave to avoid cars and debris that comes into their lane.
Not meaning to derail this thread too much, but I've been reading claims that nitro engines will continue to fire via compression ignition for years. Can someone please explain why, if this is true (or even common), dropped cylinders happen on a regular basis during a run without having pushed gaskets?

I think the water barrier has some merit, might help with fire as well. Its certainly better than a cement retaining wall.

One draw back that I'm sure can be overcome is water pressure from an impact like Scotts might cause some serious problems/injury and access for the Saftey Safari needs to be adressed but I think its a good idea that should be investigated.

I've noticed that the chutes burn to easily. Someone, possibly NASA, must have a material that's flameproof long enough for the car to slow down.

I have also noticed that dual chutes can tangle together so why not one big chute with a second one for emergencies.

The pass that you are talking about was different. I am relying on memory which is not always a good thing. I believe that the chute levers were out of his reach. This was corrected when they mounted the new body prior to the next pass. I am all for making improvements for overall safety.

You are right Ken. I went back and looked at our video interview with Scott and he discusses the incident here: Multimedia - SGVTribune.com

To see it, you have to click on the general news tab; type kalitta in the search bar and click on go.

I'm like you, anything they can do will be good. We have to see what the investigation shows, and I'm sure NHRA will come up with something.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back