Shirley 'Cha Cha' Muldowney (1 Viewer)

Larry jr.

Nitro Member
We will be at annual Seal Beach car show with the 1977 Shirley Muldowney 77 world champoinship Top Fuel Dragster for a huge cackel fest, along with 11 other Top Fuel cars, Including racers Tom The Momgoose McEwin and other guests, there are well over 550 cars and great food collectables and Nitro.

Saturday from 9am to 4 PM at Seal Beach.....Be there or Be Square!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone know if Shirley will be at the events i am attending (bristol thru Norwalk)? I really want to cross her off the list of legends of the sport i want to meet.

Never been much of a Shirley fan. But I find it disrespectful to call her by a nick name she does not like.

Never been much of a Shirley fan. But I find it disrespectful to call her by a nick name she does not like.

John that was a very long time ago, Shirley insisted we have Cha Cha on the t-shirt and in all add and press for the car, so its all good.

What we can't do is mention Connie Kallita on the car or in the press.

If you want a shirt they are at the Legends of Nitro / Stith Printing web site.

Last edited:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=502090476524565

That is My wife Kim in the car, I am on the throttle, starter and tunning, Dave Mandella is the the guy looking in the cockpit at the oil presure and owner of the car.

Now the Gal in the Anaconda top fueler having the cackle dual with us is Cindy Gibbs......Steve "hook" Gibbs' daugther.

My son Trey did the video off his facebook page.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
We did the 75th anniversary party at Edlebrock yesterday, no video,the cacklefest will be on an up coming Hot Rod TV Power Block episode, I'll post dates when I get more info.

Last edited:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=502090476524565

That is My wife Kim in the car, I am on the throttle, starter and tunning, Dave Mandella is the the guy looking in the cockpit at the oil presure and owner of the car.

Now the Gal in the Anaconda top fueler having the cackle dual with us is Cindy Gibbs......Steve "hook" Gibbs' daugther.

My son Trey did the video off his facebook page.

Enjoy.
That is a nice car, Larry. I seen it before it was completed but I havn't had the chance to see it since it has been finished. I did see Dave on Saturday at the drag boat races at Irvine lake though.

I noticed they had pink "Cha-Cha" TShirts for sale in the Nitro Mall at Houston.

It does strike me as odd that after trying like the dickens to disassociate from the "Cha-Cha" moniker for 30+ years that all of a sudden there has been a change of heart. I guess it has been decided that it is time to cash in on the nickname, though realistically that time has long since passed.

Ok, I gotta ask.....where did the Cha Cha nickname come from, and does it have a special meaning?

Ok, I gotta ask.....where did the Cha Cha nickname come from, and does it have a special meaning?

I believe it was dreamed up by Connie Kalitta as a marketing tool when she was driving his cars. When she seperated from Kalitta, she dropped the nickname and gave hell to anyone who would refer to her by that nickname. As for a special meaning, I guess Conrad is the only one who really knows what it means LOL. As for now, I guess Shirley likes the nickname just fine as long as she gets her cut of the TShirts.

I believe it was dreamed up by Connie Kalitta as a marketing tool when she was driving his cars. When she seperated from Kalitta, she dropped the nickname and gave hell to anyone who would refer to her by that nickname. As for a special meaning, I guess Conrad is the only one who really knows what it means LOL. As for now, I guess Shirley likes the nickname just fine as long as she gets her cut of the TShirts.

Cha-Cha was on her & John's car Before Big Daddy signed off on her 'ticket' just to piss Wally off:p... I thought Big was the one that got Conrad to sign it also.:confused:

Twin engine injected gas rail, I believe.

We will be at Shepard of the Hills car show this coming saturday 8am to 3pm with the car doing our thing.

This is a huge Charity car show benifiting the school/home for deaf,mute children.

Come out if you are in the San Fernando Valley / L.A., Hollywood area.

It's at Shepard of the Hills 19700 Rinaldi st, Porter Ranch Ca. 91326.

Cha-Cha was on her & John's car Before Big Daddy signed off on her 'ticket' just to piss Wally off:p... I thought Big was the one that got Conrad to sign it also.:confused:

Twin engine injected gas rail, I believe.

Thats pretty much how it happend, but it was an injected car she first licenced in, the car you are talking about was a twin engined Blow Gas dragster that Jack and Shirley built.

Thats pretty much how it happend, but it was an injected car she first licenced in, the car you are talking about was a twin engined Blow Gas dragster that Jack and Shirley built.

Okay... suffering from 'old-timers' ... heck, don't remember what I had for dinner tonight...lol. First time I saw or even heard of her was at The County, she was in Conrad's old blue 'square cage' 'stang, and he was in his new car... Mfg. Meet in '70?

I met Shirley when I was a kid in 1982, asking her a simple and stupid set of questions.
How did a gal get involved in all of this, and become so successful?
She looked at me like I was going to have my ass thoroughly kicked in, and simply answered the question.
Then I asked her why she is the best, and she told me something that I believe has been the single most important business advice I have ever received.
She told me that she always runs her own race, her own race plan per run, and never looks to the other lane.

Anybody who looks at Shirley as a grumpy person doesn't get her. I have nothing but the greatest respect for her.
I think she, Connie and Big are drag racing, period. Everyone else is in a different class.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back