Second "old style" tree at Denver (1 Viewer)

Jeff

Nitro Member
I noticed an "old style" tree roughly 75 ft back from the new style tree at its normal spot. I assume this is to help the fans see the staging status . . . anyone hear an explanation for this?

First his name is Larry not chris, it is not his idea we fisrt did this (Compulink Fan Tree) at Bristol this year. It is addition we are working on and developing as we go, at this time it's not possible to use at all tracks. Most of our latest Fiber Optic tracks have the ability to do this. Look for some type of set up next at Indy.
Jeff Foster
Compulink

I'm glad they fixed that! As a fan at Englishtown I was having problems with those new staging lights. When you try to take a picture of the launch I would always focus when the top light went on and with the nitro cars you hear the driver turn on the second fuel pump. Somewhere after that you pull the trigger. I hope this becomes the norm at all events.

Bobby; Thanks for the link. It was interesting, and now.
We know the rest of the story. Good Day

I thought it looks like a great idea. Would like to hear from someone who was in the stands to see if it helped. Good to see they are trying to make it the best possible experience for the fans. Hope it keeps evolving and improving.

how can a half circle/whole circle be more distinct that two separate lights?
IMO this new style light may be the answer for the 4-wides, but the original
two light system is time tested and over the decades was without complaint,
either from racers or spectators......it is obvious the two light stage system is
still better for fans.
the 'fan' tree @ denver was turned 90 degrees for fans; nice if your sitting
near starting line, not so nice if viewed from top end.

If your at the top end you can see the Blue LED lights. Anywhere past 150 past start line you can see the blues. In 2 years due to government regulations there will be no more incandescent bulbs.

If your at the top end you can see the Blue LED lights. Anywhere past 150 past start line you can see the blues. In 2 years due to government regulations there will be no more incandescent bulbs.

Jeff, i'm suggesting the old style tree with LED lights.
you're rite, incandescent is on way out.

Looking at the new blue circle / half circle is better in my opinion. It allows you to look at 1 spot for stage / pre-stage. It seems easier.

Although it does not seem like a big deal (and I had really never thought about it with the old tree) looking from one bulb to the other did have you shift your eyes, while this new one does not.

I think it's pretty cool and an advancement.

To whoever said its tried and tested, why change? Darrell Zimmerman once spent some time telling me about the days going from a flagman to the christmas tree. He said there were arguments, fights, and they lost quite a few racers who tried it and never came back. There is also a story of a disgrunteled losing racer who ran the tree down i am told.

anyway, i like it.

Due to the extreme conditions at the tree (vibration) a standard off the shelf LED buib will not make it. Just like the Amber LEDs they need to be built to a much higher spec. We hand build all the LEDs used at NHRA, and rember the main tree is for the racers, and they like the new look.

Jeff,
re: LED's built to higher specification
can you elaborate further on vibration's effect on the tree/LED's
what is prone to failure?....actual LED? wiring? power supply?
thanks in advance.

The vibration from 2 fuel cars is unbelievable as they go by the tree. Ive tested many of the off the shelf LEDs that look like a standard bulb. Those are a multiple of LEDs on circuit cards stacked in side a bulb. The insides just fall apart leds fall off cards, cards drop off supports, or they just fail electronically inside. Plus off the shelf items have no way to Dim.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back