Scrappers Racing to miss the Lucas Oil NHRA WinterNationals (1 Viewer)

That's a bummer! But I admire Mr. Salinas for recognizing his priorities for business and family. I wonder how this will effect his chance for a spot in the countdown and possible championship?

ok. see you in houston. EXACTLY what was mentioned in previous thread about saving dollars, and not worried about running for money at end of year.
all is fair in love and war and drag racing. CA boy with everything to prove in 'young' professional career, and he's missing the winters.....whatever.
same reason indy is not the fullest field anymore. no race in particular even matters anymore. i will guarantee you if gainesville was somehow a 'major' and more money
was available to win.......well, fill in the rest :rolleyes:

Mike seems to do this because he loves it and enjoys the ability to race with his family. Business and family are the number one priority. He runs 3 very expensive racing programs all with top caliber equipment and while I'm sure he would love to win a championship, he would probably get more satisfaction watching his daughter's succeed. Good for him for doing it his way.

don't worry. i think the scrappers team is top notch. i love everything about them, especially the family aspect......and they CAN race however they see fit.
all i'm saying is things are different now. a full tour is becoming an option, and not a necessity. i would think that would be worrisome to the nhra.

don't worry. i think the scrappers team is top notch. i love everything about them, especially the family aspect......and they CAN race however they see fit.
all i'm saying is things are different now. a full tour is becoming an option, and not a necessity. i would think that would be worrisome to the nhra.
If making the full tour isn't so much of a necessity to compete at the top level, it could be good for most parties, especially if the nitro classes can bring in more almost-full-timers. PS saw this when they reduced the schedule, thus making competing much less of a burden. Since there are fewer teams now willing/able to commit to the complete schedule up front than a couple decades ago, allowing for flexibility might entice hard-running middle-budget teams to give it a serious go. I know there's supposed to be a full-time aspect to competing at the top level, but the times are changing and very few can manage the tour without being in business elsewhere. I'd be interested to see what happens if the schedule were more accommodating to that. In general, though, I don't think that some flexibility is a bad thing.

The ones I can see being hurt are the hosts of the more remote races (Seattle, Epping, Brainerd, Denver) unless they can incentivize those above a typical event.

If making the full tour isn't so much of a necessity to compete at the top level, it could be good for most parties, especially if the nitro classes can bring in more almost-full-timers. PS saw this when they reduced the schedule, thus making competing much less of a burden. Since there are fewer teams now willing/able to commit to the complete schedule up front than a couple decades ago, allowing for flexibility might entice hard-running middle-budget teams to give it a serious go. I know there's supposed to be a full-time aspect to competing at the top level, but the times are changing and very few can manage the tour without being in business elsewhere. I'd be interested to see what happens if the schedule were more accommodating to that. In general, though, I don't think that some flexibility is a bad thing.........The ones I can see being hurt are the hosts of the more remote races (Seattle, Epping, Brainerd, Denver) unless they can incentivize those above a typical event.
well said brad. you're rite, there does seem to be a gradual shift towards abbreviated schedules, yet running hard to win. much like the pisano FC used to do.
hopefully it can work for the nhra

I understand Mike. You gotta do what you gotta do. However, what is Alan Johnson going to do?

Starting to remind me of the World of Outlaws Sprint Car Series, as there is just a handfull of full-time touring teams anymore. The fields are filled night in and night out by local teams, but just a few actually chasing championship points.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back