"SCELZI" Tells it like it is !! (1 Viewer)

The Way NHRA's been qualifying for years has worked, but for me Saturday qualifying is becoming a waste of time and $$$! Gainesville and Chicago's Early Saturday sessions were ugly to say the least! NHRA had better come up with some way to get these cars to put on a 3 day show, not just Friday night and Sunday afternoon's. Either award pts for low qualifier for each session, or add a Saturday night session.

I can't believe Bernstein who comes from the old ways would think it should be changed. Oh wait, yes I can because he doesn't qualify every race does he.

Leave it alone and just change Saturdays second session to the same time as Fridays. This does not require re-inventing the wheel. This " chase " bullshit has already dilluted and cheapened NHRA racing. Don't F@%^ with qualifying. The fastest 16 cars should race not some provisional B.S.

Oddly enough, I thought that was point of all this exercise.:confused:

Anybody else get the idea that NHRA is a second rendition of NASCAR?? "Countdown to the Champioship" & "Qualifying Provisionals"...

Secondly, other than what I've read here I can't find an article on this subject anywhere...Someone help me out. I'm having trouble keeping up...Sorry!!

“I think we need to eliminate the (Friday) night run. It does absolutely no good for anyone. We don’ race under night conditions. We race on Sundays from about eleven o’clock until about four o’clock, so I think we should qualify at the same times we’re going to race on Sunday.

Sounds like he would like a change to me. I like the night runs for the flames, but he does bring up a good point.

I wonder if everybody feels the same way.

Dan

i love night qualifying i think saturday should also have it. i dont want to see tire smoke all of the time, enough of it on sundays. i pay good money to go to e town every saturday for the event and all there is is tire smoke. lets see the big speeds and e.ts isnt that what drag racing is all about????

OK, I'm going out on a limb here, so don't hang me from it when I'm done. The way I see it, the Friday night session will not go away because NHRA needs it to promote the sport. Let's face it, it's a show for the spectators and has no other purpose except to draw more first time spectators to the track, and provide a good show for those there. Very rarely does any of the performance shown on Friday night carry over to Sunday afternoon. And we all know that it makes Pro Stock qualifying a one-shot program on most occasions. So here's my wild idea. The NHRA seems to want to "borrow" ideas from other areas and incorporate them here. They are also in a bind because the Saturday qualifying TV show is the least watched and they are not getting the exposure they want. This is partly due to the fact that nothing changes after Saturday qualifying and to the casual observer, there is no real finality, or drama, to the program. So....take the top 8 in each Pro Class after the Friday night show. Give them "Immunity" and lock them into the show. (That way they can borrow from the "Survivor" show idea.) Then the balance of the cars still have 2 chances on Saturday to qualify from a clean sheet. But wait, there's more! If you have say 19 cars in a class, let the bottom six after all 3 sessions run an elimination "race" as their fourth session run to see which 3 get in the field. After the fourth session, you will still seed the cars based on the quickest ET to the slowest. As one of the crew chiefs said earlier, it would be hard to tell someone who made a good run on Friday night that they weren’t in the show, but I think if you took the top 8 after Friday night, instead of 4 from each session, as has been mentioned, that the remaining cars will stand a good chance of getting in. If 18 cars show to qualify, you have 8 locked in after Friday night, you have 6 more locked in after the 3rd session, and the remaining 4 cars will pair off to “race their way” into the show. (Does anybody else notice that this is also borrowing from another type of racing.) This would make for some more drama going into the fourth session like the TV producers want, and may even draw a few extra cars that would not have shown up before. And again, before you hang me over this, let me say that I am also an Old School fan. But I can see the writing on the wall and believe that something will be done to change the way it is now. Even after the most exciting end to a season ever, we still have this new points system. I’m just thinking if it’s going to change, I hope it changes to a way that can make it better on all the teams in some way.

Personally, to me the quickest and easiest way to settle this is to just add a Sat night session. Thats what the fans want to see and it gives the drivers/tuners there best shot at making a really good run. I will tell you this right now, if I could only pick 2 days to go I'd go Fri and Sun right now. Saturday is boring and too much of a smoke fest. Like has been stated, we already see enough of that on Sunday. Sat has really become pointless.

Lets see first Kenny helps push for the new points scam thinking that it will help him now he wants a bs qualfying deal. As a kid I was a huge fan of his but over this past year seeing how he keeps trying to ruin the sport I wish he'd just go away.

Personally, to me the quickest and easiest way to settle this is to just add a Sat night session. Thats what the fans want to see and it gives the drivers/tuners there best shot at making a really good run. I will tell you this right now, if I could only pick 2 days to go I'd go Fri and Sun right now. Saturday is boring and too much of a smoke fest. Like has been stated, we already see enough of that on Sunday. Sat has really become pointless.

I'm with Justin here. We go to Sonoma on Friday night and Sunday only. I don't want to watch run after run of tire smoke. I say add a Saturday night session, where the #1 from Friday night is not safe. This will make qualifying interesting, and give another show for the fans. After all, Friday night qualifying is the best.

I have said this for years and I will say it again, qualify Thursday and Friday night and then race Saturday night. It has the added bonus of having Sunday as a rain day if needed.

The only race that would not run under this format would be Indy, they have 5 qualifying sessions and traditionally run on Labor Day, I am OK with that.

I don't think it will happen because the gate would be reduced at most tracks. Too tough to draw a crowd on Thursday, and most tracks/promoters are not going to be in favor of anything that will reduce the handle.

Though I know it'd never happen, I'd vote for eliminating Friday night qualifying and having all qualifying sessions be closer to the time of day that eliminations are run so that the conditions could have a chance at being more similar.

At what point in time did they actually start "qualifying" for races? Was it done this way in the "beginning" or did cars just show up and start racing on a ladder? Unload and go right into the first round? I'd like to see a story on how national events progressed to where they are now.

All I know is that I was a kid in the 70s when match racing was going on and that they did have some sort of points systems (and that Shirl Greer was the first funny car champ!)

Last edited:
OK, I'm going out on a limb here, so don't hang me from it when I'm done. The way I see it, the Friday night session will not go away because NHRA needs it to promote the sport. Let's face it, it's a show for the spectators and has no other purpose except to draw more first time spectators to the track, and provide a good show for those there. Very rarely does any of the performance shown on Friday night carry over to Sunday afternoon. And we all know that it makes Pro Stock qualifying a one-shot program on most occasions. So here's my wild idea. The NHRA seems to want to "borrow" ideas from other areas and incorporate them here. They are also in a bind because the Saturday qualifying TV show is the least watched and they are not getting the exposure they want. This is partly due to the fact that nothing changes after Saturday qualifying and to the casual observer, there is no real finality, or drama, to the program. So....take the top 8 in each Pro Class after the Friday night show. Give them "Immunity" and lock them into the show. (That way they can borrow from the "Survivor" show idea.) Then the balance of the cars still have 2 chances on Saturday to qualify from a clean sheet. But wait, there's more! If you have say 19 cars in a class, let the bottom six after all 3 sessions run an elimination "race" as their fourth session run to see which 3 get in the field. After the fourth session, you will still seed the cars based on the quickest ET to the slowest. As one of the crew chiefs said earlier, it would be hard to tell someone who made a good run on Friday night that they weren’t in the show, but I think if you took the top 8 after Friday night, instead of 4 from each session, as has been mentioned, that the remaining cars will stand a good chance of getting in. If 18 cars show to qualify, you have 8 locked in after Friday night, you have 6 more locked in after the 3rd session, and the remaining 4 cars will pair off to “race their way” into the show. (Does anybody else notice that this is also borrowing from another type of racing.) This would make for some more drama going into the fourth session like the TV producers want, and may even draw a few extra cars that would not have shown up before. And again, before you hang me over this, let me say that I am also an Old School fan. But I can see the writing on the wall and believe that something will be done to change the way it is now. Even after the most exciting end to a season ever, we still have this new points system. I’m just thinking if it’s going to change, I hope it changes to a way that can make it better on all the teams in some way.

That sounds like what KB said....
Personally, 2 shots Friday, 1 Saturday Morning. Elms start at 4:30 Saturday Afternoon... Sunday is Rain Day... and on Sunday T/A, Sportsman Cars Pro Mods Wheel Standers, Jets Ect... So there is a Sunday Show

Here's the question that everybody is ignoring:

What will sell more tickets?

To be honest, if Friday is just like Saturday, I don't like that idea. One session on Friday at noon and the other at 3pm, and the other sessions Saturday at 11am and 2pm. Can you say smooooooooooooke fest? What would even be the point in going? No fast times, lots of tire smoke, no fireworks display afterwards. It's freaking hotter than blazes outside. That doesn't sound like a recipe for selling more tickets.

I don't know what the answer is. I've wrestled with this myself -- because Saturday night seems the most logical, but if I'm a crew member of a team, I wouldn't like that idea, especially if I blow up the motor Saturday night. You've got a ton of crap to do, with little time to do it.

I'm not opposed to locking in the top 8...but things are confusing enough now as it is for beginner fans. I had to explain to a buddy of mine what a "holeshot" was and how qualifying worked. If they took 8 from Friday and then the top 8 from Saturday -- I don't see again how that will help us sell more tickets, or help our sport be easier to understand.

I think we need to be asking the right question, and right now, everyone is asking the wrong ones.

The priority needs to not be what the crew chiefs want, what the drivers want, or even what NHRA wants. The priority needs to be what the fans want. This sport cannot afford to lose the ground that it's been gaining in the last few years...and I'm afraid moving to day qualifying sessions would do that. It's too risky and could cost the sport that we love too much.

Last edited:
As long as every one is using the same track, with the same rules, and has the same chance, quit bitching and race. Some days you're the windshield, some days you're the bug. Get over it.

For those of you who are against Sat night qualifying sessions b/c of the "if you blow up the crew guys will be there late" how about this. On Sunday those guys can take a burned up race car and turn it around in 75 minutes somehow and have it race ready again. So slow down, do a good job and your outta there in under 3 hours tops. So it you blow it up at 8, your outta there by 11 or midnight at latest. Sleep in till 7 or 8 and head to the track. Simple enough for me. I know not all of them work that way but you get my point.

I have said this for years and I will say it again, qualify Thursday and Friday night and then race Saturday night. It has the added bonus of having Sunday as a rain day if needed.

The only race that would not run under this format would be Indy, they have 5 qualifying sessions and traditionally run on Labor Day, I am OK with that.

I don't think it will happen because the gate would be reduced at most tracks. Too tough to draw a crowd on Thursday, and most tracks/promoters are not going to be in favor of anything that will reduce the handle.

I vote for this plan!! Saturday nite finals under the lights.. Header flames dancing over the top of the funny car bodies.. "IF" it rains they race on Sunday!!!

Re:

For those of you who are against Sat night qualifying sessions b/c of the "if you blow up the crew guys will be there late" how about this. On Sunday those guys can take a burned up race car and turn it around in 75 minutes somehow and have it race ready again. So slow down, do a good job and your outta there in under 3 hours tops. So it you blow it up at 8, your outta there by 11 or midnight at latest. Sleep in till 7 or 8 and head to the track. Simple enough for me. I know not all of them work that way but you get my point.

Justin,

I'm not against Saturday night qualifying. I'm simply trying to view it from the perspective of a crew member. Saturday night makes for a late night by the time you figure in putting up the racecar, loading it, all the parts, etc. On Sunday, you don't have to do that. I am pro Saturday night qualifying. I think it's the best alternative. I was merely looking at things from another perspective.

We still need to ask ourselves the question: what will sell more tickets?

Re:

Justin,

We still need to ask ourselves the question: what will sell more tickets?

Nitro Under The Lights.... I wouldn't pay to see Pro Stock, (sorry Erica and Mr.Enders) but I'll watch them at a Nitro Show, Heck I'd watch T/A Floppers and Rails before PS...

But, I think a lot of US grew up in a different ERA... Top Fuel and Floppers, with Jr Fuel and AA/GS or AA/FA as filler...

I'm all for SHOWTIME Saturday Night, under the lights....

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back