Scelzi snags no. 7 in pomona qualifying (1 Viewer)

[coverattach=1]POMONA, Calif. (Nov. 15, 2008) - Four-time NHRA world champion Gary Scelzi is on a high this weekend. Not only is he being swamped by well-wishing fans and supporters as he prepares to step away from the sport for an undetermined duration, he's pumped by the performance of the Mopar/Oakley Dodge Charger R/T Funny Car he drives for Don Schumacher Racing.

He qualified No. 7 for Sunday's first round of eliminations at the NHRA Finals, posting his quickest lap of 4.121 seconds at 302.01 mph in the first session on Thursday, and faces his teammate Jack Beckman in the opening round. Scelzi, 14th in points, is not in contention for the championship, but Beckman, in fifth, is.

Scelzi’s ensuing passes included a tire-smoking 6.684/99.34, another solid 4.149/297.16 and finally another less-than-stellar 7.471/77.52.

"Well, two good ones, two bad ones," said Scelzi, who has not won an NHRA POWERade Drag Racing Series national event this season. "We've got a fast race car. We tried a different blower (supercharger) on that last run and it obviously didn't like it. So, I don't know if it was good or bad. We don't know yet.

"I feel pretty good for tomorrow. I'm going to race old 'Fast' Jack. We're going to make him earn his points, I promise you that. Maybe, if we can take care of business tomorrow, we can go out with a win, and that's what I'm shooting for and nothing less."

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back