Scelzi opinion on ROTY (1 Viewer)

Anyone that considers stepping going from a Nitro Harley to a PSB in the NHRA a step UP.. in skills.. needs to watch a Nitro Harley run a lap....lol...

Like Hagan and all but Langdon is the only real rookie..... IMO..

Billy

You mentioned ET's , Ok.

1/4mi. RECORDS
IHRA .........................NHRA

4.48 - 328 TOP FUEL 4.42 - 336

4.84 - 318 FUNNY CAR 4.65 - 333

6.25 - 223 PRO STOCK 6.52 - 212

----------------------------------------------------------------------------I too attend both, and enjoy both. (often with you) As far as moving from one to the other, thats just a matter of $$$. With less $$ you race less, with more $$ you can race more events.

I dont even see how this (NHRA/IHRA) is even being debated. Especially here. There's NO DOUBT which one is considered the Major League of Drag Racing. Its not even debatable.

Anyone that considers stepping going from a Nitro Harley to a PSB in the NHRA a step UP.. in skills.. needs to watch a Nitro Harley run a lap....lol...

Like Hagan and all but Langdon is the only real rookie..... IMO..

Billy

That was the point I was sarcastically making in post #4 :)

Justin, what got this started was, Paul Page kept calling Massey a "rookie" in Top Fuel. Gary Scelzi informed Page that Massey is an experienced TF driver, therefore, not a rookie.

Page replied, well he's a rookie here.

That led to the talk about how nhra tries to ignore Ihra like it doesn't exist.

Most agree that Gary was right. I mean how can you call a driver a "rookie" in TF, when he is the current IHRA Champion in TF??...kind of a stretch don't you think..?

I dont even see how this (NHRA/IHRA) is even being debated. Especially here. There's NO DOUBT which one is considered the Major League of Drag Racing. Its not even debatable.

AHRA... Tice had Wally talking about him almost weekly... The A had Nitro during the N ban... The A had 200MPH years before the N (Thanks Greek)...
The A paid the 'Top Ten' appearance Money... The 'A' had some of the Best tracks in the Country.

But Jim passed away...

and there in lies the rub... and how the 'N' became the 'big' Show...

d'kid

Good point but no Nitro bike class in NHRA, at least that I know about.
Then that sums it up we might as well give it to Langdon he is doing a stellar job.... :p

Doug raced a V-Rod destroyer in 07 I believe, then raced both that and his nitro bike last year...(yeah he beat me both times we ran each other).
Although much slower, racing the v-rod is probably closer to running the pro stock bike then the nitro bike would be. Still, he's a rookie in any sense of the word as far as NHRA is concerned.

Justin, what got this started was, Paul Page kept calling Massey a "rookie" in Top Fuel. Gary Scelzi informed Page that Massey is an experienced TF driver, therefore, not a rookie.

Page replied, well he's a rookie here.

That led to the talk about how nhra tries to ignore Ihra like it doesn't exist.

Most agree that Gary was right. I mean how can you call a driver a "rookie" in TF, when he is the current IHRA Champion in TF??...kind of a stretch don't you think..?

Zappy, that wasnt exactly what I was saying. What I was going for was saying I dont understand why there's a NHRA/IHRA who's better or whatever debate going on. Its like night and day and anybody with a brain can figure it out.

Lets see:

IHRA:
Supposedly more racer friendly
Little guys can still compete
Has TD/TS

Doesnt have a points fund for some major classes
Had to get rid of Nitro Funny Cars and Alky Funny Cars
There numbers are down
The competition is only ok
Do they even have a tv show? Yep, this years races will be on next year.

NHRA:
Not racer friendly really
Little guys really cant compete

Has major points fund
Has most classes
The competition is 2nd to none
We have 3 hour qualifying and race day tv shows on a major network

And like has already been mentioned, how many IHRA guys come to NHRA vs how many NHRA go to IHRA? And how many that actually come from IHRA do well? Ex: Millican- I like Clay but he dominated IHRA and cant even win a NHRA race. I'm not knocking the IHRA guys, I enjoy them and they are real racers but thats just the facts. Hell, my dad is the IHRA Summit Super Series Box Div 4 Champion from last year but I'd bet right now if you asked him if he'd trade it to be the NHRA Div 4 champ he'd say in a heartbeat.

Zappy, that wasnt exactly what I was saying. What I was going for was saying I dont understand why there's a NHRA/IHRA who's better or whatever debate going on. Its like night and day and anybody with a brain can figure it out.

Exactly, I could not have said it any better.

To answer the TV question: remaining IHRA TV schedule
7/4 ...7PM ET
7/11 ..8PM
8/1 ....5PM
8/22... 8PM
It's just a mater of opinion gang. Some think Ford is better than Chevy....some don't. No one is right or wrong.

To me...If you start from a dead stop - don't turn - accelerate as quick as you can, it's a drag race. 1/4 Mi - 1/8Mi - 1,000ft - or 300ft (sand drags),no difference, it's still a drag race. Ihra = nhra, same thing.

Enjoy the races, what ever the logo on the banners are. ;)

the question wasn't which is better. That of course would be open for debate as its personal opinion.

Which one is considered the big time and why they only include running their series for rookie of the year

I.H.R.A. runs 1/4 mile top fuel. May not be as fast as N.H.R.A. 1/4 mile was but it is 1/4 mile.
:)

the question wasn't which is better. That of course would be open for debate as its personal opinion.

Which one is considered the big time and why they only include running their series for rookie of the year

I am pretty sure the IHRA does it the same way. I think John Smith won their rookie of the year award a few years ago after he had run the full NHRA series for several years.

As far as color and hoopla I don't think there's a question which series gets my attention the most. But, as far as the best racin'? We'll racin' doesn't necessarily mean bright cars and big name car owners. Racin' is in the numbers, the stats, the time slips....the MOV. And quite frankly I haven't done the research to see which is better racin' from a competive standpoint.

But I enjoy both the series.

And as a personal note. I work a lot with some guys who are employed by the BIG circle track company in Charlotte. When we get together and hang we don't talk about circle track. They want to digest and disect the weekend's drag race! Good Times! The fact of the matter is that most of the diehard racing fans from the 80's and 90's BIG circle track era look for some other motorsports to now fill the cup.

note: BIG is reference to an organization I don't care to waste wear and tear.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back