San Antonio 2011 (1 Viewer)

Ah, the prodigal son returns after a disastrous attempt to go AHRA this year. I wonder/hope if they'll fix the track or if it'll be another 1/8 mile Nitro Jam event. It'd be good if it did happen - reduce the sting of losing Epping.

There's no problem with the track, so I don't see why it can't be run 1/4 mile. The problem was between the track owner, and the land owner behind the sand trap, maybe that guy won't have the same "problems" with the tracks new management. Who could ever forget the AHRA event that was canceled to due to unstable weather pattern, it sure was crappy weather wise that weekend being nice, sunny, and cool!

There's no problem with the track, so I don't see why it can't be run 1/4 mile. The problem was between the track owner, and the land owner behind the sand trap, maybe that guy won't have the same "problems" with the tracks new management. Who could ever forget the AHRA event that was canceled to due to unstable weather pattern, it sure was crappy weather wise that weekend being nice, sunny, and cool!

Thanks for the info - as a fan of the "I" even with the Nitro Jam format, it'd be great to see them back in SA. Sounds like an interesting situation - does this mean that the track owner doesn't own the shutdown area? Weird, or what?

Yeah I think AHRA got it wrong on the statement - it wasn't the WEATHER that was unstable...

Thanks for the info - as a fan of the "I" even with the Nitro Jam format, it'd be great to see them back in SA. Sounds like an interesting situation - does this mean that the track owner doesn't own the shutdown area? Weird, or what?

Yeah I think AHRA got it wrong on the statement - it wasn't the WEATHER that was unstable...

It's the guy that owns the land right behind the sand trap at the end of the shutdown should you go thru the sand trap (a 90+ year old man with a gun :eek:).

The AHRA was "unstable" when they where in Midland the week before SA.

I personally wouldn't go back to San Antonio if it were the last place to race on the planet.... We went there in 08' and won the event in Nitro Funny Car, and were promptly treated like **** by that jackass that owns the joint (still have the email).... but who cares, the IHRA doesn't run Funny cars anymore..

Ken,
When did they; (the current, or past owner/operators fix the bumps from 330-660ft?????
If not, this IHRA NitroJam will be a 1/8th mile show.........again.
RO

The problem with the track a few years ago happened when the IHRA decided that the track needed to be ground, and whoever did the work did not check the thickness of the asphalt so in the right lane right past the 1/8mile was no more than 1 1/2" thick in places (the construction company which is now no longer in business skimped on the base, and the asphalt when the track was originally built), and that is where the asphalt started to come up. The track had been fixed that Friday night/Saturday morning, the track owner had to find a construction company who could get a crew together that Friday night/Saturday morning to grind the right lane 12" deep x 10' wide x 660' long then re-pave it. Dean Word Construction was the only company who could get the crews do it on a couple of hours notice, they started at around 1am, and finished around 10:30am (plus they had to find a ashpalt plant who get their plant up, and running quickly), and the asphalt was sealed the following year (there was a water seepage problem). Now the repaired right lane is a little smoother than the left lane is, and it's better than it's ever been so running a quarter mile should be no problem as far as the track surface goes. (If I remember right it cost the track owner somwhere around $50 - 60K to fix that lane overnight)

Last edited:
@Kenneth Skloss are you going? I am going to be there hanging with Cherissa on either Friday or Saturday.

I always like going to SA events ! I do hope the track is right but it's understandable that green surface is not good on raceday and someone should have caught the surface being bad long before raceday.

That said I hope the event goes well and I hope I'm there !

The track won't be green this year (the repairs done to the track have had over 2 years to cure), if the weather cooperates, the cars should be hauling.

Yes! the place was packed. I was there and was shocked at the lack of participation by the racers themselves but the stands were full of paying spectators and they were lined up 3 deep all the way down the fence on both sides. As a sportsman racer I'm not too impressed with all the circus atmosphere and grave digger B.S. but IHRA has tapped into the pulse of the paying casual spectator and is doing something right. People want to see noise, flames and a show. They are not racers like us who expect to see qualifying sessions and then eliminations. They just want to see a show.

For some reason there is an attitude problem with the sportsman racers who race with NHRA and think they are too good to race IHRA. All the fields were pathetically low but you know what? I got killer parking, didn't get harrassed to death in tech, was treated very well by ALL the officials, had a blast and my check cleared the bank just like an NHRA check does. I'll be back

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back