Ron Capps Motorsports Pre-Race Report: Sonoma (1 Viewer)

Capps logo.jpg

NHRA Sonoma Nationals
Event 12 of 21
Sonoma Raceway
Sonoma, Calif.
July 28-30, 2023

RON CAPPS: Driver of the NAPA Auto Parts Toyota GR Supra Funny Car
2023-07-26_16-34-53.jpg

NHRA Sonoma Nationals Event Highlights:
Four-time event champion (1997, 2010, 2011, 2013)
Four-time runner-up (2002, 2005, 2016, 2018)
Two-time No. 1 qualifier (1998, 2021)
2022 NHRA Sonoma Nationals Event Recap:
Qualified second; First round exit (defeated by John Force in E1)
Last Event (Seattle):
Qualified No. 3; Quarterfinal finish (defeated Jeff Diehl in E1; defeated by Tim Wilkerson in E2)
2023 Statistics:
11 races; one win, three runner-up finishes, one No. 1 qualifier
Career Statistics:
619 races; 74 wins, 37 No. 1 qualifiers
Noteworthy:
As a native of central California’s San Luis Obispo, Capps considers Sonoma Raceway to be a home track
A 74-time national event champion, Capps is seeking his milestone 75th career victory in Sonoma
Begins the weekend ranked second in the Funny Car point standings and is within one round win of reclaiming the points lead
Fan Events:
Wednesday, July 26, 4:30 – 6:00 p.m., Russian River Brewing Co. NHRA Night (700 Mitchell Lane, Windsor, Calif.) – driver autograph session featuring Ron Capps, Antron Brown, and Justin Ashley; All three cars will be on display
Saturday, July 29, 10:30 – 11:00 a.m., Team Toyota autograph session at Toyota midway display
Quotable:
“It’s been a fun couple of weeks but this is one of my favorite races of the year and I'm really looking forward to it. I consider Sonoma to be one of my home tracks, having grown up in San Luis Obispo and going there a lot as a kid. This event always gives us what I feel is one of the best Friday night qualifying sessions of the year. When that sun starts to go down, the Sonoma fans are gifted with a fantastic qualifying session from top to bottom. And then, just having my friends, my family, mom and dad, people I hung out with growing up, they all come out. Everyone camps out and I get to enjoy some good home-cooking up on the hill. This will be the first time Shelley and I will have our American Coach out there, and I’m just looking forward to a great weekend all around.”

About Ron Capps Motorsports
Established in 2021, Ron Capps Motorsports is a single-car NHRA Funny Car team owned and operated by reigning and three-time world champion Ron Capps. Headquartered in Brownsburg, Ind., the team made its on-track debut in 2022 and competes on the 21-race NHRA Camping World Drag Racing Series circuit thanks to the support of NAPA Auto Parts, Toyota, and GearWrench.
Capps, who serves as both the owner and driver of his namesake operation, is the second-winningest Funny Car pilot in NHRA history with 73 wins in the category. His 74 overall wins (1 Top Fuel) rank sixth amongst NHRA’s four premier classes. The 2023 NHRA season marks Capps’ 29th year competing in the sport’s professional ranks.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back